Carrying Snuff Through An Airport

Hi folks! Tomorrow I’m flying from the UK to Paris for a short trip and I’m concerned about taking snuff with me. Specifically, I’m worried about the tin tripping a metal detector and then having to explain to a disbelieving airport security person that the brown powder is perfectly legal and not drugs! I don’t know if I’m better off carrying it on me and nonchalantly dropping it in the tray with my coins and phone when I walk through the detector or if I should stash it in my luggage (we only have cabin luggage if that makes a difference). Does anyone have experience with this?

I have taken tins of snuff through various airports on many occasions. I have always kept them in my hand luggage and have never had any problems.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Both are ok, just keep your snuff in original tin. Snuff is legal in France.

You can find maklas and Neffa Ifrikia nasal snuff at the tobacconist’'s there, every third or fourth carries it in Paris. Some Poschls, too. You can find maklas even at the airport (Beauvais), before crossing the security check line.

1 Like

Would anybody have experience passing through Italian customs with snuff? The stated permissible amounts only mention smokable tobacco.

2 Likes

@SammyD13 No problems here in Italy As every State of European Union you can carry 1 kg of tobacco and 250 g from extra EU country

2 Likes

Twice a year I travel from the Netherlands to Romania and back. I just throw the tins in the box with keys and phone at the luggage check. Never had any problem. Only one time the woman behind the desk asked me what it was, I answerd tobacco snuff. She took one box to an other college of her to ask if it is allowed. The answer was positive. So no problems. I only take original tins when travelling to be sure however, so security can see it is just tobacco.

3 Likes

Ok, I’m going to throw a 25g tin of WoS Grand Cairo in the luggage and carry a tap box of Bernard Original F in my pocket and try to not look shifty :)) Edit: I got them through!

5 Likes

Shouldnt be a problem. I gave a friend a ton of snuff once; he got it all through customs with no issue. On a side-note: sniff some old paris in Paris and tell me if you feel like you travel 200 years back in time.

2 Likes

Put the tins on the tray for the x ray machine and they go through no problem. Yes, in your pocket will set off the body scanner hence put them on the tray and don’t worry about it. You think they haven’t seen a tin of snuff before?

1 Like