Samuel Gawith Silky Dark

This is listed as a new item on Mr. Snuff. Any thoughts from those who might have tried it?

1 Like

It is Viking Dark rebranded under the SG name. People have peeled back Silky Dark labels and found Viking Dark labels underneath, they literally slapped Silky Dark labels on Viking Dark tins. Ps. Viking snuff is mysmokingshop.co.uk house brand made for them by SG. Due to the overwhelming popularity of Viking Dark when it first came out Mr.Snuff must have made a deal with mysmokingshop to sell it and SG seeing how popular it was started selling it under their own label as Silky Dark.

5 Likes

Great info @n9inchnails

P.S.  Caught a NIN New Years concert back in 1991  :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @n9inchnails!

1 Like

@n9inchnails wow thanks for the insight! Is there a thread where we have information on all the SG connections with other brands?

1 Like

I bought a Kendal Brown Scented tin that had just a Kendal Brown sticker underneath. Not Kendal Brown Original but just Kendal Brown. What is the difference?

1 Like

Sorry for possibly being redundant but to give me peace of mind, I have to ask.  I just ordered Samuel Gawith Black Magic.  Am I right to assume this is what was formerly known as Samuel Gawith Silky Dark?

Gormur, I do not know any snuff by Samuel Gawith calles Black Magic. Where did you order it?

@Uwe check snuffmeuk.  I read on older threads how there used to be a Black Magic snuff by/on Snuffstoreuk about 7 years ago.  Maybe it’s the same one, i.e Samuel Gawith Black Magic

Cheers

2 Likes

@Uwe http://snuffhouse.com/discussion/8919/snuff-store-black-magic - probably the same snuff.

2 Likes

Oh yes. Now I have seen it at snuff.me.uk  Have never seen it before. Please Gormur, hold us updated about it, when you get it.

2 Likes

@Gormur it would be great if you could take a pic of the Silky Dark next to other SGs if you happen to have the snuffs and the time once your order arrives

2 Likes

@ar47 I didn’t want to keep you in suspense.  I just got this in the mail.  It says Snuffstore Black Magic on the label.  I’m not doing anything with it right now and I don’t have the technology to post a photo unfortunately, but hopefully that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hah thanks!

@ar47 It reminds me of Viking Thor’s Hammer.  Maybe this is one of the tobacco blends used or rather what makes Thor’s Hammer dark

1 Like

@Gormur Thors Hammer is a 50/50 mix of Viking Dark and Viking Blonde. Viking Dark, Black Magic and Silky Dark are the same snuff.

Friends, I have to tell you something.

Last week I received somt tins of Viking Dark and was a bit disappointed about the much lighter scent than that I knew. I missed the smokey edge of it. Today I received a tin of SG Silky Dark from snuffstore.de and hooray: It is exactly the tobacco I formerly knew as Viking Dark.

This and the new Wilsons-like tins of Viking Dark lead me to the suspection that Viking Dark nowadays is made by another company than before and also is another tobacco-recipe, whereas Silky Dark by Sam Gawith is the old Viking Dark. In former times they were identical, now the Viking Dark has changed and the Silky remains as the original one.

Could that be?

@Uwe I haven’t tried neither Viking Dark nor Silky Dark, but this past summer I was treated with a sample of the new Viking Dark Rappee - supposedly re-branded SG Black Rappee - and can confirm it’s not the same anymore. I found VBR lacking the smokiness of previous SG BR. The grind now is finer, too. In all fairness, it reminds the plain base tobacco of Wilsons of Sharrow Best Dark.

By the way, I mixed some V DR with W.E.Garrett plain scotch (think smoky toast) and the result was very similar to Thor’s Hammer (1:1). Garrett does add some smokiness!

3 Likes

So could it be that WoS took over the Viking Range of mysmokingshop?

1 Like

We’ll live and see… I wouldn’t be suprised. Saddened - yes. Each snuff mill has its own unique machinery, as well as the accumulated know-how. Probably even their own sources of raw tobacco… You can pass/sell the recipes and brands, but the gear (including old fermentation barrels) and labourers with their snuff making experience don’t move along. This certainly affects the end product.

2 Likes