Samuel Gawith Vanilla TERRIBLE!!

I had the awful experience of using some Gawith vanilla. Ordered it online, tried it and it really smelt just like old burnt wood. Left it to air awhile, same thing. Just a warning to anyone who may be thinking of trying it.

Well, that just goes to show how our noses interpret things differently - it’s one of my favourites, and the scent to me is delicious, strong, buttery vanilla!

Give it time. I thought Viking Blond was revolting for a few days. Then for some weird reson I started liking it, and I still do.

I had one batch of SG Vanilla that had very little vanilla flavor but I really like the dark base tobacco so that was no problem. I can understand not liking the snuff because of certain expectations flavor wise but I suggest you wrap the tin in a baggie and give it a try at a later date. There are many snuffs that I initially did not care for but now adore.

1 Like

Very true, happened before, i’ll give it some time.

I suggest you wrap the tin in a baggie and give it a try at a later date.

I suggest he wraps it in an envelope and sends it to me! :smiley:

1 Like

Give it time. I thought Viking Blond was revolting for a few days. Then for some weird reson I started liking it, and I still do.

Same for me, I didn’t care for it at all at first then oddly a month later I couldn’t get enough. Now I consider it one of my favorites.

Just thought i would let everyone know that i am now a fan of this stuff. The only reason i didn’t throw it away right away was because i knew this might happen. Very subtle flavour in there, definitely vanilla. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s good. I can’t even tell you how many snuffs I hated at first then grew to like. If I don’t like it by the end of the tin I won’t give it another chance but there have been a couple I couldn’t even finish.

There’s a lesson in this for all of us.

I very much agree with HR_pufnsnuff. I tried it for the first time at the beginning of the year (now renamed “Madagascan” incidentally). I really like SG (and Viking) NON-MENTHOLATED dark base tobacco snuffs and thought to give this one a try. I was not disappointed, much like their Black Coffee (now “Black Aradica”) but with the coffee flavour replaced with natural vanilla. More like the pod than any essence, maybe their just throw a handful of vanilla pods in the flower and stir it round for a week or so. I quickly went through the 25g tin and immediately put an order in for another 100grs. and at the rate I’m still using it, I think the 250gr drum will be on my next order. 

let it air out by leaving the tin open or a bit opened or just let it sit in the tin for 3 month then check again
some aromatic compounds change how they are percieved by the nose depending on their concentration
best example is rose which prominent smell is the exact same like fecal matter
burned tire smell is usualy caused by a too abundant aromatic i notice this when processing fresh plants with similar or the same compounds like in vanilla and it can even make you sick just breathing it in for longer period.
another thing could be the vanilla not mixing well with the road tarry note some of the darker samuel gawiths for your nose but even a fresh natural vanilla bean smells kind of chemical and unpleasant when not diluted in doug or whatever you want vanilla.

another option is checking out the elmo’s reserve which gets its vanilla scent from tonka bean, quite similar to vanilla bean but a bit less sweet with some almond mixed in

this post made me remember that for me any artificial banana aroma walks a thin line between pleasant and tirefire headache

1 Like

Your right about the Tonka beans in Elmo’s (My personal favourite by a very large margin) 

You can get them directly from Wilsons of Sharrow online at a very good price and more impotently you can trust the source. 

I find if you cut them in half (they’re a been so that’s no problem), soak them for a couple of hours and then pop one or two in the tin it will liven up any old tired snuff you’ve had in stock, for too long

2 Likes

It is interesting given the title of this thread that most people posting (including the author of the original thread) seemed to end up liking this snuff (now called Madagascan). To me, the scent does not scream vanilla pod, but it seems natural and is quite desirable.

2 Likes

@SammyD13 my Madagascan is quite muted as well, could pass as unscented if I didnt know it was supposed to be vanilla

@SammyD13 I find that there is disparity in opinion of SG snuffs in particular. This is most likely due to many people buying the 10g tap box first as a sampler and can be dried out, flat with most of the subtle flavours lost and first impressions linger. The same snuff from a freshly opened vacuum sealed tin is totally different and is what the blender intended. In short - ALLWAYS go for the 25g tins, or you may end up missing out on a major treat.

3 Likes