Wich snuff is a good alternative to SG Kendal Brown Original?

Hi, I am about to place an order at Mr.Snuff. I need to buy some Kendal Brown Original, but unfortunately not available at the moment… Can someone recommend me some nice substitute that come close te SG KB? Maybe Vinking Brown, Dark or Thors Hammer? Or something else? Thanks!

KB Plain is essentially KB Original without the scent.

Thanks for your quick reaction SammyD13. I know, I have KB Plain. It is ok, but I miss the litle scent the Original has. And also the other two versions of SG KB are ok, but just not as good as the Original for me.

No other KB style snuff has that citrus flavour, all the others snuffs of that type are plain like KB Plain. GH used to have a KB but it was plain. Viking Brown is identical to KB Plain and their is a pic on this site somewhere where someone peeled of a Viking Brown label and there was a KB Plain label underneath, same with Silky Dark and Viking Dark… The WoS and F&T Kendal browns are an insult to the name. They are not Kendal Browns they are their regular snuffs with a nasty perfume added. So your shit out of luck, nothing compares to KB Original except the unscented version. KB Special has a weird and unpleasant flavour to me.

Mr. Snuff now carries a “KB Scented”. The description given leads me to believe it could be close to Original.

The review for KB Scented sounds like it is a heavier scented version of KB Original, might be what your looking for.

KB Original is available at MrSnuff’s branch: https://snuffstore.co.uk/samuel-gawith-kendal-brown-original-25g-p-1413.html

Snuff.me.uk carries SG Kendal Brown. When fresh, it’s juicy ammonia bomb with citrus scent. It’s the only SG KB I tried, so can’t compare with the Original.

I would call Bernard Feinster Kownoer a toned-down version SG Kendal Brown. Similar grind and moisture (over 30 percent of water in fresh stuff and no paraffin), dark, strong and has a subtle note of citrus. Unfortunately, even fresh Kownoer lacks of ammonia, and citrus flavour is really subdued. If SG KB Original and SG KB are alike, Kownoer is the closest ready-made substitute that comes into my mind.

KB Special is like Original but with much more scenting

1 Like

KB Plain and KB Special or KB Scented mixed together Try Toque Berwick Brown. Not identical, but an excellent snuff all the same. For another variation on the theme, try WoS Best Dark. Take KB Plain, Viking Brown, Thors Hammer, or Toque Coarse Plain as a base. Add in a small amount of one of the F&T scented snuffs, or Royal George, or McC Mild Lemon, or other potently scented snuff of choice. Give a good shave, and leave to infuse for an hour or so. Experiment to discover your own tastes. Have a go at home scenting

1 Like

Viking Brown is an excellent substitute for SG KB. Also GH Kendal Brown is quite good, of anyone still sells it. I found an unopened tin in my snuff suitcase a while ago and was pleasantly surprised.

Sorry, late response, thank you all for  the good suggestions!

In the end I ended up ordering KB Plain and KB Scented. And will mix it to hopefully a good end result…

And also I will give 50ft trad suggestions a chance with the F&T. I do love the F&T but I can imagine that they can work also toned down with KB Plain. Will find out soon!

Thanks again for all the suggestions all of you!

p.s. I checked MrSnuff today and the KB Original are back in stock now, so soon I will order a few extra tins just to be sure not to run out of it again in the future

1 Like

@SvH as someone who loves KB Original and Special, I suggest taking @50ft_trad 's advice on Toque Berwick Brown as well. I don’t think my 10g lasted a week. A little more coarse than the KBs but quite unique and spectacular in the KB vein

2 Likes

Yes, the Toque Berwick Brown is indeed a very good snuff that I enjoy a lot!

4 Likes