Samuel Gawith Irish D (Original?) vs Irish D Light

A few words on GH/SG Irish snuff’s availability at MS/snuffstore.

The defunct GH Irish D disappeared from the listing, and SG Irish D Light emerged.

There were at least two cases when MS/snuffstore customers got SG Irish D instead of GH Irish D. Must have been warehouse error, i. e. there actually wasn’t any GH Irish D on stock, only SG Irish D (although not listed; i. e. SG Irish D was on stock, but you couldn’t order it) in summer 2018.

I wonder if there’s the same SG Irish D hiding beneath the SG Irish D Light snuff over there: https://snuffstore.co.uk/samuel-gawith-irish-light-25g-p-1401.html Just another case of old templet (photo and description) used for other snuff?

To your point @volunge I ordered GH and got SD

1 Like

@ar47 Please share your experience, if you reorder it from the same source someday. SG Irish Whatever that :slight_smile:

2 possibilities there:

a) order SG Irish D Light, get SG Irish D Light (old stock, but (I bet!) still sound snuff);

b) order SG Irish D Light, get SG Irish D (fresh).

1 Like

About a month ago I ordered Gawith Hoggarth’s Irish D and I recieved Samuel Gawith Irish D(very fine brown snuff) total different than the old Samuel Gawith Irish D Light that I had bought some years ago from snuffstore.de (this was medium fine open colored brown with a sweet taste-smell)

Now I’m waiting for my latest order which include one Samuel Gawith Irish D Light from snuffstore.co.uk

When I will have it in my hands I’ll report back…

2 Likes

Also not long ago maybe a year or two SG and GH combined factories and are now made at the same factory. From what I remember SGs snuff grinding equipment didnt make the change so all SG snuff is now ground up using GHs snuff grinding equipment so you can expect to see a change in grind for all SG snuffs now being ground by GH.

1 Like

@n9inchnails This explains the difference in grind, thanks! But I still believe those two snuffs are made from different tobaccos (IDL - stems only, ID - lamina/midribs).

It is most likely made from a different tobacco now. When one batch of tobacco runs out they try and source the same tobacco to replace it but it is not always possible so they use the closest one they can find. Happens all the time with pipe tobacco blends so pipe tobacco blenders mix the new and old tobaccos together slowly increasing the amount of the new tobacco so the taste doesnt radically change from tin to tin. This is why batch variations in unscented tobacco products can vary greatly, when the tobacco runs out they have source another batch of tobacco to replace it and it never tastes exactly the same as the first batch and since its unscented all you taste is the tobacco.

3 Likes

I talked with Jamie from Mr. Snuff about this issue last week. The response boiled down to: “They are same snuff but different manufacturers and a slight different in taste.” I thought she meant that there were multiple mills making the same snuff… but given that SG and GH have combined factories, I guess she’s probably just referring to the changeover, new equipment etc. Even so, they seem like very different products.

So what does this mean for us snuffers? I asked if they’d continue to stock the (new) Irish D, and Jamie encouraged me to order Irish D Light in the meantime because they’re “both really good,” which I took as a bad sign. Looking forward to seeing what comes from snuffstore.co.uk … :-?

I made the switch to Toque Natural Toast recently and find it a good replacement for the SG and F&T toasts. Not the same, but still very good and readily available.

2 Likes

It seems that snuff.me.uk ran out of Irish D Light (only Irish D left, or Jamie simply merged those two into one and listed with the new name), but snuffstore.de still has 30 tins (no shipping outside Germany):

https://www.snuffstore.de/schnupftabak/marken/samuel-gawith/samuel-gawith-irish-d-light

@Insufflemus Jamie the guy runs a very customer-friendly business. Fast shipping and no unanswered inquiries, but kind of brief wording.

@volunge Didn’t mean to criticize, if that’s what you’re getting at – I’ve had nothing but good experiences with Mr. Snuff. If anything, I imagine this kind of inventory confusion starts with the manufacturers… companies like SG and GH aren’t exactly PR-focused, and SG’s website even seems abandoned! I kinda like that about them, though. There’s a stubborn charm to those bits of life that the Internet hasn’t taken hold of yet :slight_smile:

Sorry, @Insufflemus, I misread the very first sentence of your post. It wasn’t a criticism, I was referring to Jamie from snuff.me.uk.

I fully agree that confusion starts with the manufacturers. More light shed on their own products would be most appreciated. Sadly, though, they are becoming more and more introverted  - even product listing disappeared from GH website: http://www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk/ (spot the difference: https://web.archive.org/web/20170814211630/http://www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk/)

And check out this thread on SG website: http://snuffhouse.com/discussion/11912/new-sg-website#latest

It seems some punks took over the genuine SG’s domain and turned it into a squat :slight_smile:

Yeah SG website while I didn’t discover any active threats there at last time of analysis has become a (context-intelligent) domain parked ad site. Don’t go there you’re just paying the fraudsters

Today I got my latest order from snuffstore.co.uk that included(supposedly) Samuel Gawith’s Irish D Light…

well,they sent me again SG Irish D…for the second time…

:-w

@tobacobob What a bummer that! It never was my daily snuff, but I would love to have another tin of D Light. I guess the only shop which still has some on stock is the same where you got yours some years ago.

Any Irish D Light fans in Germany?

Nice post Volunge, I have recently taken to the WOS Irish #22 and wanted to try a HDT similar. I have ordered the Irish D light from snuffstore, as thought it was the HDT. Now I hope turns out to be Irish D, but can never tell what will turn up  :-?

@publictakeover, could you post a picture of SG Irish “D” Original here? If possible.

I wonder how it compares to Irish D Light and current Irish D. Never had the Original.

IMG_1844  IMG_1847 IMG_1848

2 Likes

it looks a litttle darker than the Irish D light.

2 Likes

Thanks for the upload, @publictakeover! It seems a little finer and more uniform than the Irish D, too. But more akin to D than to the discontinued D Light.