Abraxus Best Coarse - anything similar? Help needed....

Evening all, got a couple of jars of Abraxus Best Course (presumably old stock but still fabulous) recently. I’m going to order a few more jars tonight but stocks must running out at Snuffstore. 

It’s an amazing snuff and basically is there anything out there which roughly mirrors this?

I’m looking for quite dry but coarse. The flavour profile doesn’t have to be identical (I’d imagine that would be impossible anyway) but generally: course and dry is the thing with subtle flavours (and not mentholated.)

Any guidance appreciated as I’ve been researching for a while and getting stuck! Ta, Phil

You should try some Sir Walter Scott’s snuffs:creme de figue,auld alliance,friar ramon pane,moro moro,roslein and thrice brewed.

And for something cheaper go for the south africans:NTSU black,babaton blue,both Taxis…

All of them are moist enough but this is not a problem I guess…

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As stated above the only snuffs in the same league as Abraxas is Sir Walter Scott. Also your stock must be old Abraxas Best Coarse should be very moist.

2 Likes

Thanks tobaccobob, suspected the most likely guidance would be in the also lux Sir Walter Scott’s range. 

Not tried any of them yet so thanks for that. Which of them would you say matches the dry / course profile though?

Taxi Red…bloody hell, have a pot of that. Evil evil stuff :slight_smile:

None, all the coarse artisan snuffs are moist. If you like them dry you’ll have to dry them yourself or find old stock that has already gone dry.

@St_Phil I got some of the dried out Premium Coarse too and also love it. The tobacco blend he used is singular. I’m still planning on (cautiously) re-casing it with some cognac to add moisture and stir up the flavorings.

As n9inchnails said, none of them matches the dry profile and you 'll have to dry them yourself(not a hard task though)…

So I would go by the taste profile and get the creme de figue first(reminds me a little of the Abraxas premium batch) then the roslein,moro moro etc.

Sounds like me and Sammy got the dried out old stock and who’d have thought it would be so great! 

Thanks all for the advice and my wallet will be taking a battering by the sounds of it with the Walter Scott, starting with the Creme de Figue

neffo - Copy

@St_Phil That coarse? Link for higher res.: https://ibb.co/k5scYp (sorry for the blurred image, I need to clean my camera lens).

It’s Neftobak (Icelandic snuff) in both pictures, decanted to 5 g WoS tin and large Taxi can. I haven’t tried any Abrax or SWS, but Neftobak is the most coarse snuff that comes into my mind. Plain, strong and moist (when fresh), could be easily scented with any spice, liquor, or oil of your choice.

@Volunge, I’ve heard of Neftobak but never seen it for sale. Hard to tell from the snap but seems about same level of coarseness. Coarsest snuff’s I’ve had previously are SG Kendal Brown,  F&T Princes.

I think my perfect snuff would be something similar to the cut of these, a bit dryer and tasting something like Toques Berwick Brown or a mild SP. Bloody snuff though, so much variety and so many permutations!  And last week I was on the shmalzlers! And none of these are anything like the Abraxus that started this little thread.

1 Like

my suggestion is to try and track down the guy who made it in the first place. Since he’s not making it anymore he might be willing to tell you what it was made with and wow it’s quite a list. I remember getting samples of each trail batch and seeing it slowly form into what it became. But it had a lot of little bits of this or that. It’s going to be hard to find something as complex.

2 Likes