Taxi Red

@matsnuffs I never said I hated it :-p but it does smell like urine soaked horse droppings. reminds me of muck spreading which for a bumpkin like me is a good thing.

I am a big fan of all the snuff which comes from S.A. and i use them on a regular base. I can only advice you the same way some wise man already did: get yourself a can and sample it. You will see in no time if you like it or not. It is that easy. Many people say that they dont like the smell, that is a good example how taste differs --myself loves the smell of most of the snuffs coming from S.A. and the famous Taxi´s are no expections from this. Enjoy!

to my nose it’s more of a cigarish type scent then a horse poop scent with the south african snuffs. Then again some cigars smell like horse poop so.

I really like the Venter’s Camphor & Menthol, typical SA grind, but the flavour is lovely. Stefan

@bish777 Ah true! it does smell of that, and I love it so. @Walrus1985 I love Venter’s too, but mine was bone-dry upon arrival and quickly rehydrate…I’ll have to get some fresh stuff someday.

Taxi Red is the best snuff ever. Rich cigar notes (and poop and pee), and an absolute boat-load of Vit N.

1 Like

A good amount of airing out got rid of the pee for me. The aroma is growing on me. But I suspect part of it is my nose learning and associating it with N

2 Likes

You’ll get to the point where the ammonia is the best part!

4 Likes

Decent thing! By the way, I’m quite sure ammonia solution is one of Taxi and NTSU ingredients. Not fermentation-borne ammonia, but added ammonia water.

1 Like

How does it compare with White Elephant in terms of the odour and nicotine hit? I’m really tempted to try this one out, although I’m a bit put off by the rather ‘manual’ method of administration people describe.

@JDU44 Being coarse and moist, saturated with ammonia, it hits harder, but never goes to your bronchi. I wouldn’t advice airing the ammonia out, it’s there for higher pH (extra nicotine punch). If you are seeking for a mellow kick, go for Taxi Blue or Babaton Blue (both are somewhat lower on ammonia and nicotine). Administration is fairy simple - just take a huge pinch and snort it vigorously.

You can turn any South African plain into confectionery by adding single tonka bean. It does the wonder just overnight. Vanilla should work nicely, too.

3 Likes

@volunge Thanks so much for the detailed response! I think I’m going to go for the red on my first try- I want the full experience. Now to track down some tonka beans…

1 Like

imagine snuffing fine cut snuff (as in copehagen or the like) and you should get an idea of what it’s like in grind and moisture. And actually if you put it in your lip it’s pretty much like cope with a sweeter hay type flavor. In fact I imagine that like American snuff it’s often used orally.

2 Likes

I agree with @Bob. I just tried mine from my order today. I find it almost grainy in texture.

1 Like

I think I might be the one person that finds the snuff good. I like it but if I never had it again I wouldn’t care. It feels cheap but solid if that makes sense. Then again I remember when it was one of the most hated snuffs and then the snuff of the day here for a while.

1 Like

@bob I feel the same way. I like it, but I wouldn’t miss it. NTSU Black on the other hand, I might miss.

1 Like

I also agree with bob and Zanaspus

And I also  would miss Babaton Blue.

B-)

1 Like

Yea I could care either way. I just tried it out a couple days ago when I received my latest order and I find the coarseness to be too grainy and dry. It’s better as a chew in my opinion.

1 Like

@DeVille is that babaton blue or taxi red? Taxi red should come plenty moist

@ar47 it was taxi red. My F&T Santo Domingo was much more moist. It was dry enough that I couldn’t really get a good pinch of it to hold together. This is not normal I suppose?