Grind Myself Snuff

Hello

I got myself a cheap Coffee grinder on amazon and i grind tobacco leafs to make my own snuff (then i put in some menthol essential oil) but its not FINE enough, what can you recommend buying to be able to get a real fine grounded snuff…? 

Thanks

http://snuffhouse.com/discussion/8423/methods-for-grinding-your-own

If you use the search function you will find many threads on this topic. :slight_smile: Sadly my link is broken but it suggests.

Pestle and Mortar

Sieve

Ball Mill

Rock tumbler

Several home snuff makers use small rock tumblers. That and various sieve equipment should be enough. 

1 Like

I use a powdered sugar (or confectioners sugar) sifter. It has a bowl-shaped screen the size of a fist at the end of a handle. This type of sifter has a finer mesh than say what you’d drain pasta with. I take the tobacco flour out of the coffee grinder and sift the fine stuff through the sifter. The rougher stuff left behind can get reground, but I usually toss it as a lot of that consists of stem material. After sifting, then I use the mortar and pestle. For best results (especially for really fine grinds), use only the lamina of the leaf (peel away the stems and leaf veins). This isn’t as practical for smaller-leaf varieties (like Oriental), though.

Thanks for answering… 
A rock tumbler is made for something completely different… no? how do you fine grind tobacco leafs with that?

Pestle and Mortar will do a better job then  coffee grinder? i currently use a coffee grinder but it not FINE enough and i don’t want to dispose half the stuff…

@rotenym the rock tumbler works because you put solid objects inside with the tobacco and as it spins the, steel balls for example, pulverize the leaf When the leaf comes out of the coffee grinder some will be powdered some will not. Like @SammyD13 said use a sieve to separate the well-ground from the course. That course will have a high percentage of firm, course material such as stem and leaf vein. Those bits are harder for a blade grinder to be effective with. So mortar & pestle or a precise burr grinder will help to separate the fibers.

@rotenym the coffee grinder is not as effective as a mortar and pestle, although it speeds things up quite a bit to use the coffee grinder first.

1 Like

“the rock tumbler works because you put solid objects inside with the tobacco” which solid objects would you put in with the tobacco ?

“sifter has a finer mesh” isn’t that somthing which will take me a very long time plus lots of energy ?

I can only speak for the sifting and grinding method. The idea is to find a sifter or screen that gives to the grind that you want. For finer grinds, you use a finer mesh. Whatever fails to come through the screen or sifter gets ground up more. It can be time-consuming, but it gives you a uniformity of grind for the snuff. Making quality snuff takes time and patience- there is no doubt about that

@rotenym I haven’t done it myself but I believe steel balls are typical Give this thread a read https://snuffhouse.com/discussion/6032/snuff-making-101/p1