Tobacco Progression: Anyone Else Come from Cigars & Pipes?

Yah I’d agree they meet different needs. Probably why I’m enjoying snuff so much lately as it’s so convenient. Not often I’ve got time to sit down for a pipe let alone a cigar.

2 Likes

I totally got into snuff through pipe tobacco. I kept seeing it on the pipe tobacco websites(pre PACT) got curious and ordered a few tins.

2 Likes

i started on cigarettes and pipes but i destroyed my lungs so i switched to primarily chew and dip with a few cigs and a few pipes a day with the occasional cigar. then i got into snus. then i discovered snuff in 2016. it quickly became my primary nic source and it helped me quit cigarettes finally after 10 plus years of smoking almost 2 packs a day. i still enjoy chew, dip, snus, pipes and cigars. i think tobacco might be my one true passion in life. i am definitely an addict though

4 Likes

@n9inchnails I knew I wasn’t alone!

I was a heavy pipe smoker for years and a member of a pipe forum. I saw a slightly off-topic thread on snuff, and laughed heartily at the idea that it could be an effective nicotine delivery system. A regular replied that I should try it before I dissed it, so I ordered a small tin of Toque Quit and another of Abraxas Premium Coarse. Love at first sniff. I alternated between pipe and snuff for years, with an occasional cigar thrown in. About a year ago, I had a bad persistent cough, so I decided to give the pipe a bit of a break – and I just haven’t got around to picking it up again. I think I’ll just stick to snuff for now. It’s the best way of doing tobacco that I’ve come across.

4 Likes

@JakartaBoy I hear ya! Think I’ve had one cigar in 3 months and have just been sitting on my cellar of pipe tobacco. Been selling off samplers of cigars to fund my snuff habit, haha.

2 Likes

I started about as soon as I got to high school with dip. Kodiak wintergreen it was…a sent that to this day makes me a little weak in the knees if I smell it. Lol! By the time I graduated high school It was a can a day of grizzly straight. Always loved the pure taste of tobacco. Around the age of 19 I picked up smoking camel lights and the rare pouch of either half and half or capitan black. Fast forward a few years and out came “fire safe” cigarettes. To this day they make me puke my brains out if I smoke them. So here I am fully addicted to a substance that makes me physically sick to use it. I don’t remember how, but somewhere along the line I found out about RYO cigs. No sickness and I could finally stop being sick all the time! I’ve been smoking RYO for about 10-12 years now. Maybe longer heck I forget. 30th B day I decide to dust off my old pipes and have a bowl. For some reason it stuck this time and I’ve been piping for a little over a year now regularly. Being Information hungry like I am I ended up on a pipe forum and found out people put tobacco in their nose! Holy shit can you believe that??? It took almost 6 months for me to read up on it and decide I had to try it. So this past December I went to food lion on my lunch break and picked up A can of tube rose. I have not missed a single day since then. I’m thinking about kicking the cigs soon, but I’m terrified to let go. You see my past and understand I love all things tobacco, even cigs. But my health…im a dad of two beautiful sons now. I want to be there for them for as long as I can be. I don’t have any health issues YET, but I’m over a decade in on smoking now…and it’s a lottery with damn good odds of winning ( or in this case losing). So maybe this bag of ryo will be my last. Maybe I will take next week’s cig allowance and buy snuff with it. Maybe…

3 Likes

@StillLearning great story! I’m considering switching to primarily smokeless tobacco products. Just sold off some cigars to buy some snus for another option of tobacco. Been loving snuff at work and excited about snus to go along with that. Think pipes might come in third and cigars a very distant fourth. And good luck on kicking the cigs (if you so decide to go that route!)

2 Likes

@StillLearning Snus is great for kicking the cigs. I advice using portion snus (strong or extra strong) while in work/public places (very convenient) and regular strength (8-14 mg of nicotine per 1 gram) loose snus (tastes much better than portions and extra strong snus in general) along with strong nasal snuff at home.

You can try Belgian makla as well, it’s the strongest smokeless tobacco product on this planet: https://mrsnuff.com/belgian-snuff-c-163.html (go for Ifrikia or Rouge). You can find some makla threads here on Snuffhouse forum and read more about this wonder.

If you enjoy it, but find it too strong, there’s a regular strength Indian makla: https://mrsnuff.com/photo-fire-p-3787.html and https://mrsnuff.com/photo-begum-pathan-snuff-p-3760.html

This product is worth trying, too: https://mrsnuff.com/photo-chetak-chhap-p-3501.html (haven’t tried it personally, it’s unavailable in EU).

1 Like

@volunge thank you for the advise. How’s snus as far as harshness on your gums? I tried to go back to dip a few years back but it was a no go. Hurt like the dickens. This was with the grizzly pouches that I consider about as mild as it gets. It really bummed me out because I did really enjoy dip. My mouth is crap at this point. I’m well on my way to dentures already sadly. Brush em every day and always have… One good thing is my line of work. I’m a machinist. So it’s a dirty job in a fast pace environment. I can snuff whenever I want, wherever I want. I work nights to boot so nobody is really around anyways. 3 people on my shift, me included. In fact I have one non tobacco user co worker who loves to sample my snuff when I get new flavors!!! The other is on the patch so I don’t offer tobacco to him.

1 Like

@jholen I apologize I did not mean to derail your thread.

1 Like

@StillLearning no such thing! Got a bunch of los snus coming my way. Love learning about new forms of tobacco myself my man - that’s what this thread is about. No such this as derailment. @volunge heard tambookla is also incredibly high in nic though thinking most boil it to get it apart and smoke in a pipe.

2 Likes

@StillLearning Snus is harsh to gums only for the first week or two. Later on gums adapt to it and the burn subsides. Makla is a way harsher. I’m quite paranoid about my teeth, too, and trying to use snus/makla only during summer season, when I spend more time outside.

2 Likes

Ok cool thanks for the info. I found Makla at my local tobacco shop believe it or not. So I may give it a try. I’ve read mixed reviews on the stuff, some are less than flattering. I’m currently building a snuff order and added several stronger snuffs, alot of 6 photo stuff. I added some “energy” snuff too because coffee is a pretty big part of my night, and well coffee is hard for me to have without a cig. They are a group item as far as I’m concerned. So if I decide to quit cigs then coffee will have to go for a while also I’m certain.

2 Likes

@StillLearning the 6photo 12 pack is a great start and goes A Long Way. They stuff those rolls like they’re using a hydraulic press (there’s a lot in there). The only one I’ve had to order more of yet was the Cheetah. I like many of them (Cheetah, Begum green, Anarkali, Chocolicious) but most are strongly soda’d and perfumed enough that they’re occasional treats vs. high volume. Edit: also the 6photo folks are a member of this forum and very polite

2 Likes

They’re definitely on my list to try though I haven’t been as fond of floral flavored snuffs. Heard they have quite a few Indian floral styled snuffs.

1 Like

@jholen you should certainly give them a try. Get The 8grm “tin” and give it a whirl. I have the regular kaliash in one of those little tubes and like @ar47 says it just seems to keep refilling itself! I Can scoop out of it all day, throw it in my pocket and walk around a while and when you come back to it, it’s like it’s full to the brim all over again! I may get the sampler pack, but I don’t need anymore regular or super kaliash, and to be honest the medicated no.666 that I have is…not my favorite for sure. I’m interested in the motia and the cheetah more than anything.

2 Likes

I had got 25 years of cigarette smoking on the clock before I came to snuff. I had tried a couple of cigars along the way, and while they are OK for an occasional smoke, I am not particularly enthused by them, and they’re not worth the money. These days I am predominantly using snuff and vape. No more cigarettes, but will buy the occasional pouch of pipe tobacco, which I find more enjoyable and better value than cigars. I tried snus, but don’t enjoy it, same with chewing tobacco. I currently vape more than I snuff, but that’s because my nose gets irritated if I snuff more than 2g per day. You might think your nose would acclimatise after a few years use, but not mine unfortunately. I also have to lay off at certain times of year because my nose flares up with seasonal issues. My 7 or 8kg stash will last me a VERY long time at an average of roughly 1g per day. Most of it is in glass jars, but I also have enough in tins to easily last me another 12-18 months.

1 Like

Glad to hear your journey @50ft_trad ! Interesting to hear about how your nose still isn’t acclimated. Do you think it has something to do with specific blends or is it all around for everything?

I hear ya on cigars – they do eat up the hobby budget quite quickly. Similar to buying bulk in snuff, snus, and probably pipe tobacco buying cigar boxes is really the only economical way to go. Only picking up a few at the local shop eats through $ extremely quickly. I’m thankful to have quite a stocks so as I’ve been transitioning to snuff and now snus I’m selling off cigars here and there to fund it. Call it a hobby re-allocation :wink:

1 Like

@jholen It varies throughout the year. At the moment, I can take 10-15 modest size pinches throughout the day, so long as the snuff is medium grind or coarser, and fairly moist. Late spring, early summer can be problematic for any snuff, but through autumn my intake usually increases. Even when my nose isn’t misbehaving, I still can’t do more than 3g or maybe 4g, or I get a killer headache (hangover) the next day. Also, the only fine ground snuff I can enjoy is Dr Rumneys Brown. No other toast like snuff works in my face. I think the ph of the snuff is a factor with my nose too. All told, it probably averages out about 1g per day over the year, maybe a little more. I was doing more than that when I first quit smoking, but it’s eased off since then. When the EU TPD fiasco hit, I was still struggling to quit cigarettes, so went a little crazy with the shopping. I now have a plastic toolbox with all my live tins in, plus a drawer 70ml glass jars that I decant bulk into, and have transferred some of the tinned stuff into. These are what I fill my daily snuffboxes from. I just had a rough count up… 53 live tins and tubs in the toolbox 24 70ml glass jars in the drawer 64 unopened tins in cardboard boxes 40 120ml glass jars stashed in cardboard boxes 12 1 litre glass jars of bulk Rough conversions 70ml is about 2.4 US fluid oz 120ml is about 4 US fluid oz 1 litre is about 34 US fluid oz I am beginning to think my snuff will last longer than I will.

2 Likes