Moderators wanted

Ya all might need another mod just to make sure I behave. :wink: Actually, this is a great site with very respectfull members. I don’t think another mod is needed to “keep control” but one might be needed for the other reasons already stated. Approving members and covering all the time zones. So its whaterever you all want to do is fine with me.

Yep good call premium parrots but i think maybe one of the members would like to “take control”.Lets keep it simple and use this site for its intended use and hopefully it will grow and get ever stronger and better. Happy snuffin one and all

Simongrant - thats pretty stupid and uninformed thing to say, im just an ordinary member who objected to some paedophile jokes one about the oral rape of a five year old - doing that is wanting to take over? Who exactly are you to suggest that. Im done with this, wish Id never opened my mouth

Whats makes you think i was referring to you snuffster? Never assume it makes as ass out of u and me. Take care

oh how funny, you got me with your rapier wit there!!

still laughing

still laughing

still laughing

still lauging Simon, oooohh you got me…stupid

hey snuffster, You did us all a service opening up your f-ing mouth, and I appreciate it. I can relate to your frustration in writing about a delicate matter. It’s funny how people take things. Our first line of defense against inappropriate posting is having a few clear rules that a member can tactfully reference in a whisper to an offending poster. This is fair warning that it must me edited out or the matter gets referred to Alex. This seems to be working reasonably well. I have been on other forums where mods were necesary, but I hope that’s not the case here.

It’s really easy for a mod to go on a power-trip, I’ve been there myself. I don’t feel there’s a need for new moderators , the issue we had seemed to resolve itself just fine. We don’t have an issue with spam either so for the moment i would recommend against. I’ve never seen such a happy crowd of people getting along with one another, I’d hate to have it spoiled by useless moderation. However we could just have a thread dedicated to reporting extreme cases needing some sort of moderation so it would make your job easier. Maybe even an extra mod to cover timezone differences for new members but otherwise i don’t see such a great need. Cheers!

!!! I STILL SAY NO MODS !!! If you can’t handle your liquor don’t step up to the bar.

I haven’t spoke up about any of this, but I will. There really just needs to be a few basic guidelines for the forum and enough moderators so that someone will be on at all times. I’m not talking about censoring anything, I’m talking about dealing with people causing large disruptions. Mostly, the mods would only message people if there is some sort of problem, and then take further action if someone can’t be respectful enough. The situation that came up with the jokes is really the only real one I’ve seen since I’ve been here, so it’s not like huge changes need to be made. As long as everyone shows a little respect to each other (which 99% time there is) there shouldn’t be any problems. That other 1% is what the mods are for. Remember, this is Alex’s site, and he wouldn’t have brought it up if it wasn’t necessary. Anybody claiming that the problem resolved itself is not paying close enough attention, because it didn’t. Alex dealt with it, after getting several complaints, and it was a while before it happened since there were no other available mods to take care of it. THAT is what we need an extra mod or two for.

I did not realize there were direct threats made privately towards Snuffster on this site. I myself during the same time frame was sending smart remarks publicly in his general direction. They were all in fun and seemed to have been taken that way. For the record, Snuffster is a very highly respected individual. His participation in this forum has been invaluable to me. While I do enjoy keeping up to date and informed. I am glad there are things that are handled privately and behind the scenes… Can we get a tobacco flower put up in the header somewhere? Peace!

I volunteered several months ago. I joined this site when it was still very small. I wasn’t one of the first but I got here as soon as I could. It’s inevitable as we gain more and more members that we will lose our small family feeling that made us all attracted to this site in the first place. Unfortunately, the reality is that any good forum is either very small or has moderators. When we started and nobody knew about us we could keep the posts under control. Those of us who were here when a certain person went mad dog on several of the members (I believe this is what snuffster referred to) know how unpleasant it was around here for a few days. We had another episode recently which I found distasteful. I don’t think the members should have to put up with personal attacks and the only way to guarantee that, since unfortunately not everyone conducts themselves as gentlemen, is to have moderation. That doesn’t have to equal censorship and a good mod knows the difference.

A moderator so far, can only close a discussion and sink it. He cannot delete it. That is still in my hands. His / her role would only be to keep me informed and stop a thread if it gets out of control. I can always open up a closed thread again. No danger, that a moderator would ever take over control. It’s just about that my time to action is not always as fast as I would wish. I really appreciate the discussion about pro’s and con’s. The many con’s just speak for the good membership we have here, I guess. No final decission so far. Keep the fun! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip snuffbox,i dont mind the gawith apricot container with the flip lid,i do prefer the tins as they are better for pinching.From what i have read about the new sam gawith containers they seem to be pretty bad but i have yet to try a sam gawith snuff which is weird for me because i absolutly adore their pipe tobaccos and have done for many years. Simon

I am a big fan of Sam’s pipe tobaccos as well, but I believe I shouldn’t have to beg a firm to sell me their goods. I’m afraid they’ve fallen off my charts after this last go-round.

I have been a member here nearly 2 years. In all that time there have been two incidents which have required moderation. The personal abuse one member was sending out and this paedophile business. While both incidents were inexcusable for a gentlemans club like this, is it really necessary to have mods? 2 incidents in 2 years! Think about this people we are not losing control here, the nutters have not taken over the asylum. Once we have mods we lose the homely feel this place has think about your choice before you post because this could be the beginning of a different snuffhouse, and do we really want that? Stefan

Firstly, thanks for all the public and private words of support. Secondly, If Ive been over the top in any way, shape or form then you have my most sincere and respectful apologies, and can I also say that I have apologised to Simongrant privately for being sarcastic - something I am happy to do again in public; Simon, sorry - you didn’t deserve my ire. There is quite a division of opinion here and Im not sure its something that can be reconciled; on the one hand you have the anything goes, ignore it you don’t like it camp and the other that sees this site as more of a club that should have some rules. Either way, I reacted to something that hit a nerve with me. When Alex posted this thread I whispered him and said I would help if he wanted me to. However, I withdraw this now in favour of being an ordinary member - the last thing I want is to give the impression I somehow want to be in control - I don’t. Im sure Alex will choose wisely who he wants to help him with his website.