Moderators wanted

Hi Alex, I would be more than happy to help out. I am retired from work so have plenty of time on my hands, Regards Graham

I recomend snuffster!

Graham and snuffster !!!

I also think more mods are unescesary, maybe they do have there place just to help maintain the site or whatever but i don’t think that we should allow one or two little incidences like this to cause an uproar. We are all sensible human being here and if someone wants to post a joke so be it, if someone dosn’t like a joke then they don’t have to read it and they most definetely shouldn’t respond to it, or if they do kindly ask that the author remove it and i am certain that in most cases they will comply. We are all adults here and we all have our sensitive spots but we all have a sense of humor and understanding as well. Anywhere people come together socially wether for buisness or recreation there are going to be misunderstandings, misconduct, and altogether mishaps. As long as it can be handled in a decent manner which as far as a i can see usually happens (and within resonable time given the time differences) there should be no need for further intervention. Should a few threads become “battle” threads so be it. It’s gonna happen one way or the other and as the People of snuffhouse have so far been able to hold there own i again see no reason for further intervention.

Not needed… We’re all grown ups and even as bad as that thread got, it ended up resolving itself… In my opinion, further proof that MODS are not needed… To be honest, I feel MODS completely destroy a forum community, the unique postings and opinions shared only become those of what a MOD feels is acceptable, in turn making this site more of a blog of a Moderators personal opinions that said moderator deems acceptable. Right now, although I may detest many of the subjects posted and discussed I’d rather they be posted so I can make my own decision on wether or not to comment and participate in a topics particular thread. I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m all grown up and prefer to make my own choices on topics to read and participate in. I don’t want anybody deciding for me what is acceptable and what is not. I am more than capable of deciding such things myself, as I am sure most everyone here is… No 1 person above the rest, MODS Suck…and I say this with all do respect to Lazarus. It is just my humble opinion, and I’m glad I’m allowed to share it without anybody disagreeing and deleting it…

What I detect here, is, I think understandable feelings over the idea of censorship. It doesn’t sit comfortably thinking that someone else is deciding on what we read and see, however moderation is in my view, different to out and out censorship. It enables the individuals of a community likes this one to be protected from discriminatory or abusive behaviour, views or jokes. It would not, as I think some may be anxious about, be used constantly by power crazed individuals, out to have their own way on this site. Rather it would hopefully serve to contain issues which may be causing real offence. Ideally, the majority of issues would naturally be sorted out by the membership in simple, open debate, but that is assuming that most people are nice and will behave in a sensible way. What happens when they don’t? Let me pose a question? What happens if we get the real deal oddball here that starts to include images as attachments, what happens when we get some loon deciding to single one of us out for racist, violent, whatever remarks and just won’t go away, and Alex not around - as he says - to deal. At the moment, when something does go wrong its very, very difficult to do anything quickly as I know from the time someone started sending me offensive and threatening whispers. I don’t frighten easily but some little old man or woman could have been terrified. We just ignore it and hope it resolves itself…? BTW, Poo Diddy, that thread did not resolve itself, it took several members to request that action be taken by Alex. Most of the discussion to deal with it, was private. In my view, moderation on this site would be used once in a blue moon. If I was asked to be a moderator I would use the ‘power’, as someone put it, to stop abusive, intimidating or threatening behaviour (someone once whispered me saying ‘die fucking pig’ on this site - I was strong enough to deal, what if I hadn’t been??) or material of an offensive nature. Guys, this doesn’t equate to being in a totalitarian world, please see it for what it is.

In my opinion everyone on here is a Moderator already.Read what you like and ignore what you dont.Just like in life,dont like a tv show turn it over. What happens if i find something offensive etc but a mod doesnt,it still gets through so no point.Gotta live your own life not anyone elses. Ps I hope i dont offend anyone. Happy snuffin one and all

I guess it all comes down to what to what you expect and will tolerate. If I surf the net, I don’t cry like a girl if I see something I don’t like or disagree with, I do what you say, move on, who cares. The thing is, this place, for quite a few people, is not just a random site that they surf in and out of, its more of a club and one that used to have a decent feel about it. There is no reason why it should have to be like the rest of the net, no reason why there shouldn’t be a few rules about how folks behave. I really dont WANT to just move on when I see something about child abuse here, I want it removed and quick.

and we are not all moderators - I can’t get where this idea comes from - because we can’t take any action when we need to.

Snuffster,for me this site has a great feel about it,what i dont want is a site only with views according to snuffster,or any other wanna be moderator. Thankyou very much.

I don’t think it’s about inflicting views on other people. It’s about ensuring that things stay civil and that members don’t feel the need to leave if things get out of hand for any reason. I run a hobby related mailing list of around 1500 members world-wide. Apart from myself there are two co-moderators. While all three of us have the power to ban members, in practice it has been very rarely needed in the 10 years it has been on the go and the members do generally stay civil and on topic, and also tend to nudge potential problem discussions in the right direction. Where things occasionally get heated it’s nearly always sufficient for one of the three of us to have a quick word off-list (here it would be a PM or whisper). The main reason for there being three of us is to cover all the time zones so that new members are okayed without too much delay, to cover for holidays and to ensure that spammers never even get a toe in the door. It all seems to work just fine like that.

Great post, ermtony. As I see it, this forum is rather like a members club - we all have to become members to post after all. Most clubs have rules to ensure that all members are treated equally and fairly, to make sure that it is running smoothly and to prevent undue unpleasantness. Moderators (not censors) are needed in order to do this properly.

Ya all might need another mod just to make sure I behave. :wink: Actually, this is a great site with very respectfull members. I don’t think another mod is needed to “keep control” but one might be needed for the other reasons already stated. Approving members and covering all the time zones. So its whaterever you all want to do is fine with me.

Yep good call premium parrots but i think maybe one of the members would like to “take control”.Lets keep it simple and use this site for its intended use and hopefully it will grow and get ever stronger and better. Happy snuffin one and all

Simongrant - thats pretty stupid and uninformed thing to say, im just an ordinary member who objected to some paedophile jokes one about the oral rape of a five year old - doing that is wanting to take over? Who exactly are you to suggest that. Im done with this, wish Id never opened my mouth

Whats makes you think i was referring to you snuffster? Never assume it makes as ass out of u and me. Take care

oh how funny, you got me with your rapier wit there!!

still laughing

still laughing

still laughing