Plain tobacco snuff

@smm I have not tried SG Dark or SG Kendal Brown plain, though I can say that Viking Brown and Samuel Gawith Kendal Brown are quite similar. Viking Brown is a little more smokier, and has a heavier herbaceous rich earthiness to it. While the SG Kendal Brown Original isn’t as heavy in the smoky and rich environment, it does though have a faint citrus orange note which makes a more sweet and less smoky snuff in nature which I really enjoy.

I have noticed though that Samuel Gawith has a little more consistent grind, nothing too significant or troubling though it is noticeable. This should not put you off the Viking Range even in the slightest.

@50ft_trad I have heard rumours that they are the same snuffs, or very similar anyway. I had suspicions since my first tin or Viking came in the exact type vacuum sealed tin, which I absolutely love by the way. As I mentioned earlier, Samuel Gawith seems to me to have a more consistent grind than Viking, in Viking there seems to always be a few larger particles in the tin not many, though Samuel Gawiths seem to not have this.

Is it the SG Black Rappee that you are comparing Viking Dark to? I need to update my list

1 Like

Sam Gawith Black Rappee is nothing like Viking Dark.

Black Rappee is fermented several times with salt water.  It is BLACK, salty, and delicious.

3 Likes

I will second the S.Gawith   Black Rappee  and   London Brown.

Don’t take Black Rappee if you are going out.   Your nose looks as though you desperately need the services of a good chimney sweep,    Lord knows what the neighbours think of my personal hygiene  if they have ever seen me after using Black Rappee.  My hooter looks like the Black Hole of Calcutta after using it.  

3 Likes

Lol, I always made a point of only using SG black rappee right before a shower just because it was so dark n’ dirty

Man, I’d love to try the London Brown.  Still looking for a shop that’ll ship it to the (non-Germany) continent. 

@Conk, I would recommend trying South African snuffs, particularly Taxi Red. Just be warned, it is coarse, moist and fluffy. It’s the third coarsiest snuff after SG Rappee and neftobak. If you find Taxi enjoyable, you might try NTSU black as well, which has even more ammonia. You can easily air the beast out overnight if you are not fond of it. Or you could start with Babaton Blue, it’s the same cut, only less nicotine, a tad drier and no ammonia whatsoever (I suspect it’s just an old stock issue - natural loss of moisture and ammonia).

EDIT: snuffstore.co.uk has just restocked Taxi Blue. A little bit weaker on nicotine, this could be the best introduction to the realm of SA snuffs.

Then there’s Icelandic snuff - neftobak, the one made by state monopoly ATVR, sold in 50 g plastic cans and 45 g plastic horns (the same snuff in two different containers, horns are absolutely airtight, but cans are more convenient for pinching). Utterly recommended, but very hard to get. Unfortunatelly, neftobak is available only in Iceland. If you happen to be there, please take an opportunity and procure as much as you are allowed (if you don’t enjoy it, you can trade it here, at Snuffhouse). Coarse, moist, strong, and saturated with ammonia. It’s one of so few plain snuffs where you can actually feel the Tobacco. Using math terms, this and South African snuffs are tobacco square. Neftobak has one major drawback - it is expensive, GBP 12 for 45 g horn.

Mind you, these are not office snuffs (the Drip)!

Talking about fine and dry plains, Neffa Ifrikia rustica snuff should be mentioned. Another fine and medium dry plain snuff is Jaxons SP Premium, stronger and plainer than WoS Natural (visibly different tobacco used). And just for the record - SG Red Crest is totally, even dully plain. It could well be a point of reference for assesing the level of plainness of plain snuffs.

Finally, there’s one representative of super fine grind plain snuffs league, which doesn’t fall into Indian white category, but approximates them in grind: Dholakia Sparrow.

6 Likes

I have not tried these, however if you ask me plain snuff is simply the best.

4 Likes

And some luxury snuffs from Sir Walter Scott:age border rappee,golden horn,thrice brewed,st.james parish blend,auld alliance!

2 Likes

Don’t forget Havana Toast & Lundy Foot. I think Latakia Blend is a plain snuff, haven’t tried that yet though. Lundy Foot is a need to try if you like high nicotine snuffs. Same with St James Parish and its intense flavor.

1 Like

Dholakia Black is another good plain snuff to have around.

2 Likes

This is great! Not for my bank account, but I didn’t realise how much I was missing out on. @volunge - your knowledge is impressive! Cheers, all!

I’ll start with with an order of pure plain snuffs and save buying more toasted varieties for now (I have a lot of these hanging about).

My current excuse for blowing my nose in the office so much is ‘hayfever’ and when it gets to winter it’ll be a ‘cold’.

4 Likes

My stash contains a few different plain snuffs for mixing and home scenting. I add in maybe 20 percent of a highly scented FT, or thirty percent of something like Firedance or Celtic Talisman, to make a very pleasant but lightly scented snuff. In bulk (100g or above) I have… SG Yellow Crest SG Blue Crest Tq Plain Coarse Tq Rustica GH KB Plain SG London Brown V. Thors Hammer I’ve probably got a few others tucked in smaller quantities.

4 Likes

With this thread reincarnation, I must put in a plug for American scotches. Rooster is my rock!

6 Likes

@Zanaspus , think honey bee, navy sweet and buttercup are worth picking up? Got an opportunity to trade some cigars for them.

1 Like

Another way to get great plain snuff is to get good tobacco leaf and make it yourself.

6 Likes

There are four plain snuffs in Bernard line as well:

Feinster Kownoer - dark, moist, medium coarse, salty, somewhat similar to SG KB, with a citrussy note; milder than KB, but still nice burn (the only paraffin-free Bernard snuff!), Gekachelter Virginie - dark, slightly smoky, medium coarse,

Alt Offenbacher Kostlich (a blend of three tobaccos) and Civette Extrafein (the plainest Bernard snuff in point of constituents: tobacco, water, paraffin oil and salt). AOK and Civette are on my need-to-try list.

3 Likes

@jholen I’m not the hugest fan of sweet scotches, but many here are.  Think tobacco and icing sugar. If that works for you, go for it.

3 Likes

@zanaspus they’re really that sweet? Think I’ll pass then…

1 Like

Toque Quit is very much moorish! Struggling to put it down

4 Likes

Any indian Madras snuff is also highly recommend for a try.

4 Likes