Chicago (Park District) Snuff Ban

20180519_150918 Fascinating that they call out snuff in particular. I didn’t see any no smoking signs bu the way :smiley:

well technically that’s a lot more places then Chicago. I am guessing people are making enough of a mess for them to call it out by name. Though it’s pretty easy to use these things incognito. So just don’t make a mess and it should be fine.

2 Likes

In many English parks there seems to be a big problem with cannabis users.  

You often see neat little signs on the lawns reading,         “Please Keep Off The Grass.” 

To be legal,   shouldn’t  that tin on the notice have a Government Health Warning ?

5 Likes

@ArtChoo the cartoon is of an open tin I’m still so … almost in shock. What in the holy far reaches of hades. There is No 2nd hand. No health detriment to people around you. And as far as snuff, I haven’t found a NIH article saying it causes cancer etc. The sign says Healthy Chicago in the bottom right. This is cultural discrimination and nothing about health. I am extremely irked. I live outside not in Chicago, but will lobby hard and fart in the corridors of town hall if this trend starts to spread into my town.

4 Likes

I’d bet they’re referring to oral snuff, like Copenhagen. I doubt the people responsible for that sign even have a clue that there is such a thing as nasal snuff. People are probably spitting chew all over…

5 Likes

Please report the use of any smokeless tobacco to park staff or call 311. The snuss police… Come Out With Your Prilla Up!

4 Likes

I would have thought that it would be much more healthier to ban spitting and using chewing gum in the parks.

It costs a fortune to remove gum from the footpaths, and tobacco spit is just plain unsightly.

What about all of the insecticides and weedkillers sprayed around the parks?  I bet a list of chemicals used in in the parks is not displayed  on a prominent public notice board, for the greater enlightenment of the park using public.

2 Likes

I agree it’s silly–as someone mentioned it’s they’ve likely never heard of nasal snuff. I snuff all the time in no tobacco use places such as the doctors’ office [today], the opera [this week] and at work [everyday]. whereas spat out chew is unsightly and stinky [once had a boss who spat in coffee cans in his office till they were full.

Just ignore it and don’t do it if a cop is standing right in front of you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They’ve probably never heard of nasal snuff, but unenlightened people tend to think we’re using illicit substances anyway. Like they would know if someone was snusing. Hell, I just had a mandatory physical for work and the doc didn’t notice the portion in my upper lip even when he was staring at my open mouth. Unless you know what to look for, you’d never know. Especially with portions. Just looks like youre throwing a wad of chewing gum away when you take it out.

2 Likes

Portions, I second that. Especially mini portions. Need a roll of these for summer.

2 Likes

@ar47 first that’s not just a Chicago thing. Lots of parks are supposedly tobacco free. The health connection is mostly it’s a place that children congregate and spend a lot of time, so it’s allegedly about not setting a bad example for the children. However what I’ve been told is that the real reason has more to do with mess. Like people leaving used bags around (which is technically a health issue, though not much of one) and other things like that. The fact is unless you’re belligerent about it the most that is going to happen is someone telling you not to use tobacco (feign ignorance). It’s one of those rules that in practice is more there to enforce two things preventing second hand smoke and people making a mess.

2 Likes

Just smoked a pipe in a local riverfront park in solidarity with all the tobacco users stripped of their right to enjoy tobacco as they please provided they don’t hurt anyone. I plan to do the same thing regularly while I still can.

2 Likes

I would think their wouldn’t be a problem for nasal snuffer’s trolling through one of these park’s. First off to take a pinch or two an have the tin put away is but what a minute to a minute an a half leaving no evendince I find it hard to believe the likely hood of one getting in trouble is very unlikely if at all.

2 Likes

I’m kind of paranoid that people seeing me snuff in public would assume it’s coke or meth. Got the stealth method down- using the bullet quick, with the hands of a pickpocket. 

2 Likes

@SammyD13 a good solution to that problem is to just get so fat nobody assumes you’ve ever touched anything with appetite suppressing qualities. Though they probably would really just assume you’re picking your nose. 

1 Like

If you’re caught, just tell them it’s cocaine.  Chicago is likely to have far less of a problem with that than tobacco.

3 Likes

nah I think cocaine will get you in way more trouble. And technically if you tell them it’s cocaine that can get you in trouble twice.

1 Like

I’ve had someone ask if my Posh bullet was a crack pipe before. I wish I was joking. It was a friend, the bullet and my box were sitting on the table as I worked, they picked it up and asked if it was for smoking crack. I then evangelized on the lovely habit of snuffing to this aforementioned unenlightened cigarette smoker.

2 Likes

I’ve had someone ask if my Posh bullet was a crack pipe before. I wish I was joking. It was a friend, the bullet and my box were sitting on the table as I worked, they picked it up and asked if it was for smoking crack. I then evangelized on the lovely habit of snuffing to this aforementioned unenlightened cigarette smoker.

2 Likes