How long does it take you to go to work and working hours ?

Since I worked I always had almost 30 min to an hour travel time to go to work.
I was wondering if it’s the majority of people and wether it’s our society worldwide which does that. I never had the joy to go back to home at mid day.
As there’s a lot of different nationalities on the forum I was wondering if it’s about the same for everyone.

How long does it take you to go to work and how many hours do you spend for work a week ?

Here in France with travel time it makes me do 46 hours a week based on  (37 hours work + 5 hours travel + 45 minutes everyday  lunch)
A lot of things could be done at home or in a center near my home but “working from home” is not a usual habit here yet.

25 minutes each way to work (driving), 1.5 hours work at home, 8.5 hours at work (no breaks)= 54 hours per week. I listen to music when working at home and to audiobooks in the car. Work has been hectic lately as the company I work for recently acquired another company (most of whose workers were let go). A sad sign of the times, unfortunately…

3 Likes

Some days I work from home. Some days I travel. Every weekI work around 60 hours not counting travel. On days when I fly to a meeting it’s usually something like leave the house at 5am for the airport and get back around 1am the following morning, drive home (45 mins) go to sleep and work a full day the next one

3 Likes

.5 hours to get there. 40 hours a week. blech.

3 Likes

well now a days I work where ever I am. So no travel time. When I was employed at a location I typically spent 45 minutes each way, which is fine because it was either on foot or on bike and most of the time was part of the day I looked forward to.

4 Likes

My (dog walking) business is hard to explain! I start about 7am and usually finish about 830pm with many breaks during the day. I generally do between 10 and 20 appointments a day. I live in about a one mile radius to all my clients. About 90% of the time I ride my electric bike to my clients homes in just a few minutes. Usually I have a few appointments then go home for a break. Every day is different and I’m not complaining! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve got a 25 minute drive and work three 12-hour shifts with 4 days off.

Previous schedule was 7 on / 7 off … miss that one! 

4 Likes

Seconds to get to work 6-8 hours 5 days a week as a milk man, yes we are still around

5 Likes

20 min drive, 8 hour shifts 5 days a week

4 Likes

1.5-2 hrs travel time. No fixed timings - anywhere from 9 to 11 to 13 hours working 5 days a week. 4 -6 hours most Saturday’s. Thinking of quitting the job mode.

5 Likes

I’m pretty lucky. I have a 15 minute drive and work 8 to 5 with an hour’s lunch, totalling out to 40 working hours a week.

3 Likes

About 45 minutes drive to work. Normal shift is 8 hours, longest shift was 48 hours. Gotta love the railway!

3 Likes

Oh man. A topic I can’t resist griping about. Here in Atlanta, I live precisely 17.4 miles from work and it takes me on average 1.5 hrs each WAY. So 3 hrs a day. Horrible. And yep, I utilize Waze and there are no viable public transport options here.

3 Likes

I am from Czech republic and my working and travelling times are as follows:

My working week consist is 37.5 hours/week and travelling time up to 2 hours a day (back and forth), by public transport (bus line) combined with some walking distance.

But thats written above is theory cause I am working on 12 hours shifts(day/night 6 am to 6 pm and vice versa) with irregural scheduling trough the week, so for me main factor is how many woking days have A shift ( I am E shift) so my working month varies between 12 to 16 shifts. Minimal break between shifts is 11 hours by law in here. Jack

1 Like

Im within walkin distance to my workplace. I work around 12-15 hours a day.

3 Likes

I live about a ten minute drive from my work, and work 8-12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. The nice thing about my job is they are pretty lenient with breaks as long as your job gets done, and you are not taking blatant advantage.

1 Like

Work day here in Italy is 8 hours in a day, so 40 hours in a week It takes about 30 minutes to get work

30 minutes to go there and the same back home.

Work is 8 - 10 hours. I work in an office enviroment. Break is 30 minutes at noon. The rest has to be worked… from monday til friday.

A relativelly average day here in Germany.

In 2008 my company did away with all offices except the vary large ones in places like Dallas and Atlanta. Those of us in field locations began working out of our homes. Technically it was a 40 hours week. But being in management, and working from home you never got away from it. But I finally got to the point that I would close the door and turned off email notifications on my phone. In spite of that I would choose a home office over having a formal location I had to show up to.

I took a severance package about 1&1/2 years ago. Now I am working on a contract basis. I get paid for 60 hours per week. Some weeks it takes more, some less.

Similar situation in that I have no office to report to. I drive to where I need to be for the day, usually several places, and finish up paper work where I am staying. I say where I am staying because I have not been home since the end of September. But I am going home on Feb 1st! (till the money runs out)

2 Likes

Right now the ground is covered with ice and snow, so I drive to work.  Probably a one minute or less commute. 

When the ice and snow is gone I’ll go back to riding my bicycle to work.  Maybe a three minute commute on my bike.

I mostly do the afternoon/evening shift at six hours five days a week ( thirty hours a week).  Occasionally I do the morning shift at eight hours a day, but not after the snow and ice are gone.  In nice weather I work for myself as a fishing guide and I lead wildlife photo safaris in the day time, and only work the evening shift.

4 Likes