What snuff did you bin today?

Those were probably menthol crystals.

2 Likes

@Epitango, I wish they were. My first thought was salt/alkalis crystals, so I took a pinch. Alas, mould…

1 Like

With the oil and menthol it can still mold? I have a tin like that, but labeled Gold not Extra. Got it from MrSnuff (purchased as Extra) It smells like sour mash whiskey, which is a smell from fermentation. Curious if mine might be molded as well? Is that what it’s supposed to smell like? I like the snuff but don’t want to get sick

1 Like

@ar47, I bet yours is fresh. The smell you described is typical of spearmint (just took a pinch of SG Spearmint Gold for a calibration).
Gold is the new name of this snuff. The names and labels changed relatively recently (2017?; please correct me, if I err).
I got mine from another vendor and expected it to be dried out. I don’t blame the vendor, improper storage is at fault. The same story as with the aforementioned binned Himtaj Black…

2 Likes

@volunge thanks for the feedback. Sniffing away:) mine is a lighter color than your pictures

1 Like

@ar47, just got a reply from the manufacturer (send them the code last week and told my guess about snuff being old). That particular box of GP Extra was produced in… would you believe it? 2011. Wow!

2 Likes

I will probably bin my tap box of gawith original (apricot)…because its vile

2 Likes

I thought with the oils and menthol in the German snuffs that one their qualities is being microbial resistant. That’s not what I’m witnessing here on this thread

1 Like

Update on old GP Extra issue.

Got a generous reimbursement from Poschl today - two boxes of Gletscher-Prise Gold. I really wasn’t after it when I contacted them, just wanted to know the mfg year of that old snuff I got from retailer, out of pure curiosity.

Lovely customer care this.

6 Likes

Binned a F&T Princes 25g tin last week and a WoS Best Dark today. Both were all corrosion under their tape. The Princes took the prize with oozing black liquid coming through the otherwise-sealed shut lid. The Best Dark I got open but there was some strange clumping (and the snuff around the corroded edges was the color of the corrosion). I scooped a bit of the center of the tin out but sniffing it smelt like a burst battery (same as the Princes) I was looking forward to the Best Dark. Luckily @SammyD13 helped out with the Princes :slight_smile: Edit: a bit of a wake up call that I should get any snuffs with moisture out of these tins. I keep most of my snuff in glass, just in glass while still in the tin X_X

2 Likes

I binned a WoS Princes for the same rust developing on the inner lid.im now planing on the purchase of bulks and glass.

3 Likes

9 x 25g Samuel Gawith Cola . Like many Brits, I bought a shitload of snuff in the EU shakeup of Tobacco products . Snuff was literally pennies . Among the bounty was 300 grams of SG Cola . I bought a few SGflavours, primarily for the empty tins . I have almost limitless uses for SG Vacuum tins .

I ve been meaning to decant ithe SG Cola into glass for ages because the fresh snuff can be quite wet and inky . I needn’t have worriied because it turns out some of the tins were old stock and totally dried out years ago . :smiley:

There was no mould or rust …but it’s like having 22 tapboxes of moody snuff I ll never want to use . I didn’t throw it directly in the bin but it will be used as testing material for crockpot snus experiments .

Fortunately I found three tins of the fresh gear in there  . SG Cola is now discontinued so they’ll be a rare prize in coming years. 

1 Like

@Pikey does it have any scent left after drying out? How does the snuff get dried out if it’s vac sealed? The few old stock SGs I have still retain full moisture - inky, as you say with the darks

1 Like

@ar47 It’s carrying a hint of moisture and residual scent . I wondered about where the moisture went too . :smiley: I definitely had to pop the seal on most of them . 

It’s like night and day though . The fresher snuff is dark with a silky texture , with a strong ‘flat cola’ scent that runs on into a vague floral (in my nose) . However the old one is sharper , much lighter , with a hint of cola in the background . :)  

2 Likes

@ar47 I m fairly sure I remember this correctly . When I was a lad in the '70s and early eighties , there was still a residual snuff culture locally . Virtually every newsagent carried a bit of snuff …and it sold too . 

A commercial traveller used to service the local old style fancy tobacconist with the Sam Gawiths and GH . While he was there he would serve up the local newsagents with tins and tapbox forerunners . 

SG Cola(I believe) was only available loose from a jar in the posh tobacconists and it was like the holy grail for the 11/12 year old me   . He wouldn’t sell me tobacco of any kind unless it was pipe stuff for my dad . I used to snuff a bit if I couldn’t afford a smoke  . A dusty tin of  Wilsons could be had for like 11 pence from the high street newsagent whereas 10 cigarettes was around 50pence . I was a poor kid but I could usually rustle up 15p for a snuff :smiley: .

I tried allsorts of ruses to get hold of that  cola snuff . :D  Despairing , one day I plucked up the courage to ask for 20 pence worth when I was picking up my fathers Clan  . No dice : he even told my Dad , the bastard :smiley: I don’t think I ever got to even try it as a kid and always regretted it   . By the time I was 16 , that old place had long gone and loose snuff was an oddity. 

When I discovered online snuff buying a couple of years ago virtually the first things I bought were all the cola snuffs :smiley:

4 Likes

Some old toque peanut butter meeting the bin today. Old and been carrying it daily…too bad toque tins cant stand being abused…anyone got any ideas for a snuffbox that can take rough handling and transport?

1 Like

@Rogue what’s happened to the tin that it’s no longer serviceable? I have some pretty banged up ones but I’ve only had to bin the ones that people other than me, who don’t respect threads, have cross-threaded @Pikey thanks for the tale. I like Toque Coke, probably from a childhood of Coke ICEE. I forget with every order to buy old stock of WoS Cola from MrSnuff. I’ve recently come around to SG so the telling of binning 9 25’s sounds akin to posting you’re going to kick 9 puppies :smiley:

3 Likes

@ar47 no threads left on it, what seemslike aluminum dust has entered the snuff, no longer semi-sealed, lid reaches bottom of the tin.

2 Likes

My little thing of Postillian is getting dumped out.  All I can say about it is “Ewwwwww.”  Might save and clean out the tap box though. 

2 Likes

@Rogue

I’d make it 2 years to the month that you’ve had that Peanut Butter tin :slight_smile: I have a Lime Toast tin from the same eon that I carry almost daily & the lid just about touches the bottom also.