Air-cured only for Tobacco flour?

I am looking to make some of my own snuff because I have too much time on my hands. I read, but cannot find the post again, that only air-cured leaf should be used for snuff. Does anyone know if this is true? And why?

It’s all about TSNAs. If you are not concerned about it, you can use any kind of tobacco.

1 Like

I have just looked up TSNA and it would seem @volunge is correct.

I have been grinding down small amounts  pipe tobacco to flavour Viking Brown.

It looks like Perique, to me a fermented tobacco, will be off my shopping list, and air dried Latakia will be used more frequently in its place by me.

1 Like

@ArtChoo with SWS at least they describe their latakia snuff and being smoke cured. I wonder if we’re going to go down the rabbit hole what all else could bind from the smoke vs. the TSNAs from fermenting

1 Like

So flue-cured and fermented are out? That leaves little to choose from.

@SmokeOnTheWater  I am not sure about  Flue-cured, but  Perique is definitetly fermented in barrels.

I have used a fair old bit of Perique for my snuff blending in the past. I will have to give it a bit more thought before I abandon it completely.

1 Like

I am going to storage to grab my ball mill and sieves. I am placing a order for a few pounds of air cured tobaccos. Will stem and case first. Then use the ball mill and sieves to make the flour. Then experiment with flavorings such as menthol, mint, bourbon, orange, etc. I have no idea where I am going with this but being unemployed and unable to sustain buying from overseas more than every few months, this seems like a reasonable approach. Thanks for all the comments.

1 Like

@SmokeOnTheWater looking forward in your artisan journey to being a customer some day should the hobby become profession for you

2 Likes