DIY flavoring with herbal tea bags. Would this work ?

I was was thinking about adding an herbal tea bag to a tin of unflavored tobacco. The grocery store has a whole section of herbal teas so the flavor selection would be vast. Any thoughts on wether or not this would work ?

To be clear the unflavored tabacco would be a snuff such as Toque Quit or WoS natural.

I would suggest trying camomile tea bags. You might want to moisten them slightly over the steam of boiling tea pot (or kettle) for faster results (dry tea bag would absorb moisture from snuff).
Tea-bagged camomile tends to keep its aroma longer than most other herbs.

1 Like

You may want to try brewing the tea strong and using that liquid to hydrate the flour.

Once back to proper case, a dry bag or two could then be added to the container for storage.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I was going to try this, I would probably start with a dehydrated snuff. I have found trying to scent properly hydrated snuff to be less effective. The drier it is to start with, the more scented moisture it will absorb. I’d also use a wet teabag to carry the scent over. I would then scent indirectly as follows. 1. Dry out snuff as much as possible by airing 2. Place to one side in a tupperware box 3. Place teabag in a smallish of sorts at opposite side of box. 4. Pour water over the teabag. Approx double the volume of the bag itself. 5. Put lid on the tupperware box and leave overnight. Please note, I haven’t tried this, but this is an accumulation of separate things that have worked for me.

2 Likes

Echoing @Cobguy, you can absolutely use herbal reductions. For OSP Batch #2, most of the flavoring came from a reduction of Rosehips, Hibiscus, and Chicory. If you go that route, my recommendation is about 4x what you would use if you were making a tea, then after straining your herbs, reduce in a saucepan. For the sake of cleanliness, always sterolize your utensils with alcohol and use distilled water. On the other end, depending on the material used (and the amount of humectant initially used in the starting base), tobacco is really good at absorbing ambient scents. Depending on what it is, you can absolutely scent something by exposure alone. Again, though, taking precautions with sanitization. Hope it works out for you!

4 Likes

That sounds like a really nice scent @Hitsuzen

My last reduction was from Fennel, Black Walnut and Molasses steeped in Double Fermented Soy and poured through finely ground Ethiopian coffee beans.  I applied this to a mix of Dominican Cigar Leaf and pressed it for about a week before milling to a coarse and moist snuff.

2 Likes

@Cobguy We really need to set up a trade off!

2 Likes

To take a conservative approach, I’d consider setting a very lightly humidified Earl Grey teabag in the midst of some dry unscented snuff, and leave it there for a couple months, just shaking the tin a couple times a week. You’d get a subtle and not harsh SP, and not some of the potentially overpowering experiments that would make you want to throw the whole batch away.

This would be not dissimilar to setting a tonka bean into a tin of snuff to impart a tonquin infusion. I suppose you could do a similar thing with coffee beans. 

There are some very good herbal teas with raspberry, ginger and other aromatic ingredients. Don’t wet them and put them in wet tobacco. Slightly damp or humidified added to very dry tobacco will give you all the infusion you need. But be patient. 

2 Likes

That’s a pretty wild idea. I’d like a snuff with a good bergamot kick! But I don’t know… maybe get a tupperware container, put some snuff on one side and a couple of teabags on the other, and just leave it for a few days. I don’t think you would want to put a wet teabag on your snuff, moisture is pretty unpredictable and you might get mold.

4 Likes

@Hitsuzen … that would be great! I’ll send you a PM. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice. Earl Grey is one of the two I

My post was cut short again. Not sure why this keeps happening.

I have personally taken an herbal tea bag blend and locked it up(after adding a couple drops of water to it) in a a tupperware container with a scotch snuff. After 2 weeks it infused the aroma into the snuff, but didn’t overpower the scotch.

i got this extremly strong aromatized tea bags from the store and just put it into a can with pain snuff, it took up the flavor surprisingly well but i read some of those artificial aromas work in the pbb range

And pbb means??

@nicmizer parts per billion

I finally got around to trying this. I used a 25g tin of Toque Quit that was dried out and about half full. I set a dry black cherry and mixed herb tea bag directly on top of the dry snuff. I steamed another bag & set it outside of the tin all in a Tupperware type container with a cup of distilled water inside. The next morning the snuff smelled wonderful. It was still a little dry though so I removed the tea bags and hydrated for another day. I plan to try Twinnings black current tea next.