The dippin' craze among kids on Youtube

I used to make around $300 a month from a channel with only 10k subscribers. - Easy money!

Things have changed big time since then (2012) and payments are much smaller as CPM has shrunk seriously. Really no longer a valid means of any income unless you are in the hundreds of thousands like you said.

As for kids it’s too easy to have someone buy it for them. In my local city outside of many stores you can see young kids asking people to go in and purchase them tobacco. I figured that was their way of getting it. Other than their older siblings / friends. 

As a kid I always had a friend over 18 and sometimes over 21 to get alcohol. Just gotta know one person I guess and you have access.

1 Like

Do you think it’s about asserting cultural identity in some unconscious way? As a Brit I’ve tried dip a few times. It’s such a uniquely American thing and I just wanted to check it out. I don’t really get on with it and I only do it at home because spitting is gross. If dipping (and therefore spitting) was more common place, however, I think I might do it more often. And it’s a wierd, unique, buzz.

1 Like

there is a lot of dipping where I live. And it’s considered a manly thing. Which I’ve always found funny cause I’ve never been into being macho in anyways but have gotten big points for taking my drinks neat and dipping big pinches. I think that’s part of the young guy appeal almost a way to show off and get man points. Another red neck factor that I can super heavy relate to is in certain areas you have to make your entertainment which makes you either really creative or prone to doing stupid things. Boredom is a dangerous dangerous thing.

1 Like

It’s VERY common in Oklahoma. I used to use quite a bit of Skoal peppermint and berry flavours in my early 20s, but grew to detest it. A lot of welders out in the shop dip the wintergreen (a scent I already loathe) Skoal. I’ve gotten pretty irrate with some of them divesting themselves of it in my office trash bin, but overall I’m about people doing their own thing as long as it doesn’t screw me over or give me SuperAIDS. Snuff has really turned out to be just as agreeable to me as coffee and good tea. Ahhh caffeine and nicotine! The minor alkaloids are sublime!

1 Like

Caffeine and nicotine, eh?

Curtis Gordon is one of my heroes. Here ya go:

2 Likes

@mowmojo a guy after my own heart…

1 Like

:x Loooove me some Texas swing!

1 Like

texas swing is the genre I like breaking out when hipsters say they love all music except country. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dip is a “redneck” thing… and rednecks take great pride in all things redneck ie country music, pickup trucks, beer, dip, etc etc. It’s not just a southern thing, but a cultural thing. As for the kids being into it… it’s a way to take tobacco without their parents knowing. Kinda hard to conceal the stink of cigarette smoke.

1 Like

lets be fair, not everyone who dips is a redneck or are asserting any cultural preference. i know at least i am neither. i dont feel it was a peer pressure thing either. i started in high school but i didnt know anyone else who dipped. i swapped to cigarettes shortly after getting addicted to nicotine. i didnt dip again til i was 30ish. i was up to 2 cans a day when i discovered snus and snuff. now i at least keep one can around but snuff makes up probably 90% of my nicotine uptake for the day. snuff with a couple of snus portions thrown in the mix is my daily habit now. i used to smoke a few cigs and a pipe bowl or 2 a day but i quit smoking tobacco about 5 months ago. aside from a few random cravings to smoke here and there i am hopeful that i will stick to it 

1 Like

Hey I used to dip a while back, also. I don’t look down my nose at rednecks/southerners so don’t take my comment the wrong way… I’m just adding my 2 cents to the discussion. The only dipping channels I’ve come across have been young “country” dudes. These kids need to go out and get a bag of good chew. That’s where it’s at.

oh i took no offense. the southern states do have their own way of doing things and many are proud of that. im from california myself. fortunately, i had the chance to travel all over the U.S. and each region has its own particular flavor. unfortunately, it was in a beat up old van full of amps and speakers and 3 other dirty punks. not for the faint of heart

1 Like

@peacock Hahaha! That sounds like quite an experience. Man I don’t agree with the politics of punk rock, but I sure do like the music anyway. And socal puts out some great bands.

@ArgentOrangeOK yeah it got pretty chaotic at times. we wanted to tour like black flag with 60 shows in 60 different cities in about 65 days (we took a few days in the middle). did that for 3 summers plus a few short tours during the winter. went to Europe twice. i think we went to 12 countries between the EU, UK and eastern european counties. for better or worse, i never made a penny from it…

P.S. black flag still toured harder

1 Like

@peacock What was your band?

To OP, that is not correct: there are many different types of oral tobacco in Europe. Its not totally banned.

Most of the dippers in Canada are hockey player types who like nicotine but don’t want to compromise their lungs at all.  It’s probably better for you than smoking cigarettes, though obviously it has its own risks.  (I say this as a cigarette smoker–not looking down on any type of tobacco, really)

1 Like

I like to dip but i only do 1-2 dips a day. Mostly i buy the big Stoker cans at Northerner because when i order just one it goes trough customs without any problem and last me a long time (Stokers say it compares to 10 single cans and i can buy it for around 15 Euro). Besides this i like snus or other traditional european oral tobacco stuff like Grimm&Triepel or Oliver Twist as well.

Old thread but I wanted to comment anyways. I’m from “the south” and I did start tobacco with dipping at age 14. Just like most of my peers at the time. As many have said it is indeed a cultural thing around here, but it’s not about being “manly” or “redneck”. Let me explain… Op asked, where do these kids get the dip from? Well, when I was 14 I got it at the gas station about a mile from my highschool. It was the little country store SURROUNDED by tobacco feilds. They knew we were high school kids when they sold it to us, hell most of the time I had my letter jacket on when I bought it! They were busted a few times for underage sale. They laughed at the fine as it was nowhere near the profit from the sales. Back to the cultural thing. Most of the guys going in that store to buy dip were tobacco farmers kids, or grandkids. Alot of them were buying dip on the way to go pull tobacco after school. Tobacco was a way of life around here. It built our city…litteraly. I’m not that old, 31 now and I graduated high school in 05’. It was right around that time that the government buyouts of tobacco farms started. And also the huge promotion of “tobacco kills” from the media. I guess without getting to deep I think the generations ahead of mine knew the change was comming. And frankly didn’t mind kids using tobacco as it was a glimmer of hope for their own livelihood. So you end up with kids in the south starting tobacco at an early age, as either heritage, or (sadly) future customers to the people that gave the tobacco to them. I hope some of this long post makes since and helps explain young tobacco use in the southern east coast. Products of our environment, for better or worse…

2 Likes

I started dipping in my ealry teens in Kansas- not quite the South. My buddies and I all did it. We were careful not to do it around girls! For the underage, dip has a stealth advantage. It does not make everything on you smell like smoke. It can be used in school if swallowing can be stomached. It can also be used by athletes who need their lung capacity. You can warn kids about the cancer risk, but kids think cancer is an old people thing- old people being anybody older than them! Maybe it is human nature to want to get a buzz of some sort- kids are no exception.

3 Likes