Sws color change

When i received sws lundy foot and field of junipers they were light brown. Since i put them in the fridge their colors have changed they are more brown. Their textures has changed too it is not dry anymore and i can see some kind of balls I was wondering if it has molded it seems that when i put them in my tapboxes they go back to their natural colors after a while. So what do you think ?

Here is a picture DSC_0062

It looks as though they are just gaining moisture from being in the fridge.  Snuff gets darker and clumpier the more moisture it has. Let it sit out for a bit to dry out and it should be as it once was and maybe tighten the tins tighter or put them in a baggie or other container because if its picking up moisture it could very well pick up other scents from your fridge.

2 Likes

But don’t fridges usually draw moisture out of things?

1 Like

generally yes but there are many factors that could cause a condensation build up in the fridge that would increase the humidity inside.

1 Like

For the story I  put out some SWS Lundy foot again from the fridge.  It still has a darker color. I ve waited a week outside the fridge with the box sealed and it is still dark. 

However good news I put some in another container and some hours after it has just retrieved its original light brown color, dryness and taste !
So I think it is better and safer to keep them in the fridge as advised by SWS even if the color changes am I right ?

@Snufferdemedicis for toasts, I personally would do long-term bulk storage in the fridge and keep 2-4 weeks’ worth in a (truly) air-tight container at room temp. Toasts do lose some of their flavor over time, and it seems a safe bet that refrigerating them could make that flavor last a little longer.

3 Likes

I store my toast in a dark closet in jars. The one still has to be aired out before using because of the ammonia.

3 Likes