Snuff box in parliament and a look at SG old mill

https://youtu.be/d3wB3HPEMM0

good watch

3 Likes

The tobacco on the floor seemed kind of unsanitary lol

1 Like

Maybe it was what gave SG Kendal Brown’s uniqueness…

1 Like

@agentshags Tobacco grows out of the dirt. The dry tobacco gets it’s first shower on the floor. That floor, windows, ceiling and most everything in that room is covered with 225 yrs of tobacco fallout. If it got shoveled off a table would it be in the slightest more or less sanitary ? I also notices he is not wearing gloves or a hairnet.

3 Likes

Pull up the production videos of the Bernard production facilities. That may really make you think about sanitation enough to make you find another hobby. One of my most favorable choices in my stock tho.

4 Likes

They dig tobacco out of a cow hide with an ax!

3 Likes

Dont they sow the tobacco into the cow hide?

2 Likes

Traditional Bavarian Schmalzler Producers buys tobaco from Brazil, that (uncured) cow hide sewn tobacco is called magnote. I am pretty unsure if its just loose tobacco leaves or if they are spun into rope.
Lets clasify how tobacco leaf is packed for factory use:

Orientals: Originally sewn in burlap packs, today paper cartons with plastic inner filling.
American tobacco and (ex)Commonwealth: Soft wood boxes, today paper cartons with plastic inner filling.
Perique: Hogshead barrels
Brazilia: Specialities in cow hide, ordinary tobacco for mass production paper boxes with plastic inner filling.
RoW: Today as above paper boxes or even just ordinary heavy duty plastic (PE) baggies.
Jack

2 Likes

I have to admit, if I was that door keepers I would snuff myself silly.

2 Likes

If your looking for sanitized snuff manufacturing check out the videos of the innards of Poschl. Maybe that’s why their offerings arnt mentioned here that often.

2 Likes

@Effy If you work with tobacco ,snuff would do very little ,handling tobacco you absorb it though your skin. So your tolerance for snuff would be awfully high. Just being in a place like that you probable use more snuff just by what is in the air then the heaviest snuff user here.

It’s like anything else, You may go silly the first few days. I delivered pizzas when I was young. All you can eat all the time, yea it was awesome but it got old and for a few yrs after I couldn’t look at a pizza.  

2 Likes

^ Same here. Hard to find a pizza I can enjoy. Thank goodness for the selection of snuff available or I’d not use it at all and I don’t disregard use because of manufacturing processes.

2 Likes

True.

One question about the chap in Westminster - is it common to pinch on to the back of the hand?  I would have thought that if you had a box to pinch from, you could just take it that way.

2 Likes

@Effy a communal box should have disposable  spoons to dish out a pinch. You don’t know who, what or where  the fingers before you had been into?

I friend of mine uses snuff like that; I guess it comes down to personal preference ,I’ve also seen the opposite ,pinching snuff off the back of the hand. I find it a step too many. No clue if snuff taking is as regional in this day and age. 

2 Likes

If I am using someone elses snuff whether that be at the lodge or just my friends snuff, I often use my silver snuff spoon and pinch it off the back of my hand. I find this easier since I know I can get the pinch up my nose whereas snuffing off the back of my hand I often have to dust then wind up getting it all over my mustache and beard. And it seems more courteous and respectful than burying my fingers in their tin or box.

2 Likes

I visited Brown House a few years ago when I was up that way to get some Black Coffee snuff (it was out of stock at Snuffstore at the time, as was Cafe Noir). They made up half a dozen tins for me while I had a chat with Bob Gregory about snuff (and Saab cars, as he’d spotted me pulling up in mine - he’s a fan of them). 

The place itself was living history -  the floorboards in the store room had ruts in them caused by workers of old wearing clogs, and although we didn’t go into where they make the snuff, going through that front door was amazing - we were hit by a wonderful scent of mixed pipe tobacco and snuff, and came away wishing they did one with that smelled like that!

4 Likes