Mr Snuff's American Section

Hello, a quick question about Mr Snuff’s American section… or rather the snuffs that section contains! I moved to snuff and snus a few years ago for my health, and stayed with snuff and snus for the pleasure! However, I have always been wary of none European snus / snuff… but the American snuff on Mr Snuff’s site looks interesting. My question is: are these American snuffs, like ‘scotch’ and ‘buttercup’ etc… safe? Are they just ordinary nasal snuffs like we’d get here?

This might sound a stupid question - but there is a real difference between American snus and Swedish - I’m just checking that snuff isn’t like that.

Regards.

They are the same level of safety as European snuffs when used nasally. You’ll find “different” cancer warnings on them as traditionally in the american south, they are used in the lip.

1 Like

Wish I could find Swedish snus in my neck of the woods. One place had General until stock was gone. The only American snus I’ve had was camel. Has that diet aspartame after taste. As far as American snuff, I can’t get enough of the WE Garrett and Honest scotch up my nose as I would like. Had to edit: Just realized why I can’t get it shoved up there is because it is usually full of Bernard Klostermischung!

They are a very different flavor profile, but essentially the same as European snuff. American snuff is fine and dry, kind of like a toast. The Scotch snuffs will have a salty, smoky flavor similar to a bonfire or a BBQ. The “Sweet Scotch” American snuffs are similar in flavor to an OTC “cigar” like Swisher Sweets or Phillies, and was traditionally used as an oral tobacco by southern women. Both are quite strong.

I enjoy the American scotches. They are as much a part of my snuff collection as the European ones.

In my opinion, the best of them is Rooster (US Smokeless), although Three Thistles Strong (Swisher) is a close second. If you want something with a hint of flavor, try Honey Bee or Wild Cherry (both Swisher).

Of the various in-stock companies listed on the Mr Snuff American menu, only American Snuff Co, Swisher and US Smokeless are actually manufactured in the United States. The rest are manufactured abroad (mainly in India, except Toque Silver Dollar, which is UK) for the American market.

Dean Swift is or was American made, but it seems like it may have been discontinued. Dean Swift was one of the favorite snuffs of American Science Fiction writer Philip K. Dick.

America is where snuff was first produced.The Natives used it; then it was taken across the pond to Spain. Tobacco was not know to the civilized world until then. So thank an Native American  for your love of the Sacred leaf.

American Snuff Co

Swisher

US Smokeless

These 3 selections I can confirm are American. The rest I am 99.9 % uncertain if produced on American soil or even contain any tobacco grown in America.

Silver dollar is Toque

Fubar Is Dholakia and so is Q snuff

Buzz was a contract brand not sure Manufacturer

Dean Swift is dead 

Rockit Well, I haven’t heard anyone using it .And most of the reviews are not favorable. Never seen it for sale in any American B&M stores?

1 Like

Thank you everybody - I’ll definitely add one or two to my next order.

they all seem to fall in the same ballpark. the grind, moisture and color are similar among the scotches ive tried. endless variations of a theme. in that way, i say they are much like german schmalzlers or indian whites