OT - Mead

You want to overwhelm any natural yeasts with the attributes of the yeast that you prefer. The selection of yeast is one of the critical nuances of the final product. Then cleanliness is the only other consideration.

I have been brewing hard Cider, and have made four batches, but the one with a Cezanne yeast has both a lovely fruit ester taste, and more importantly adds both a sense of body and influences mouth feel. This is due to the actions of the yeast, it is the waste product of the yeast that makes any brew what it is. Yeast should be a very critical choice in brewing. One thing i have learned the hard way. Have fun, and make several batches with different yeast, you will be amazed.

@snuffster I’m really not sure how well it would go without yeast, I don’t think that the recipe I’m using has enough fruit to make that work (I didn’t even know it was possible!) Also, I never knew you could make an alcoholic drink from veggies, fascinating.

@Whalen thanks for the tips, I wasn’t aware that the yeast played such an important role in flavoring the brew, I thought it only played in to the alcohol content.

@SnuffinClown - Yep, I used to think it made no differance, now I give it a great deal of thought what yeast I use and when. The Belgian beers are all about the unique taste of the yeast used. They tend to produce esters that have an affect on flavor, mouth feel, and the amount of carbonation along with final alcohol content are very much a product of what yeast was used.

1 Like

I’ve been brewing Mead for 7 years now.  I have a wildflower mead recipe that was created as a Viking restoration recipe. I use methods and ingredient that would have been available during their time. I’ve been sipping a batch I made in 2009 and has been allowed to age up until this year. I still have a few bottles from my first batch in 2005.

1 Like

Gonna try some mead making this spring with home grown hops. Cascade and German Tetnanger from last year’s crop. Anybody dabble making mead on the form anymore?

I’ve never tried making mead though have made grappa, moonshine and an attempt at whisky. I may try my hand with mead this year

Mead is life! My personal favorite mead is made by Rabbits Foot meadery. Alcoholic sunshine in a bottle. Skol!

Yeah, I’ve brewed mead before. Mostly made my own beer, but did some mead. I think my first batch was the same one, or similar to the OP’s recipe. A good one for the first timer is called Joe’s ancient orange mead. Hard to miss it up. I’m on my phone or I would post the recipe. Just do a search for Joe’s ancient orange mead, the recipe should still pop up.

I have just started lerning and hope to come up with my first batch soon

@Herne give the Joe’s ancient orange a try. I haven’t heard of someone messing that one up in original form. I have heard of someone messing up when they tried modifying it.

I made mead before in some 2 litter bottles with ballons for airlock. Turned out pretty good ( don’t really have what to compare it to ).

Was a bit like dry white wine. I found most of the resources online to be over complicated.

I just used raw honey, raisins, tea ( for tanic acid ) and regular bread yeast.

Mixed it up and put a balloon on the top with a small hole in it for an air lock. Once the balloon stopped inflating it was done, I think it was about 2 weeks.

I’ve made it with gratifying success for years. The key thing is to use nothing that has been pasteurized, only spring water and a trusted source of yeast that can stand up to the quantity of honey your adding. My general rule of thumb 1 gallon water to 1 pound honey for a dry depending on yeast =±8% Or go big @ 1 gallon water to 4 pounds honey with champagne yeast for a sweet =±18%

1 Like

Bears love honey!!

Thanks Psicko

Will give it a try

If you have a place to buy homebrew stuff at, get a gallon jar, a rubber stopper with a hole and a water lock.

I don’t think you should over complicate it for your first batch … Try one of the quick mead recipes and just use 2/3 litter bottles with a balloon, and regular bread yeast.

If the product is to your liking, then great. If not then you can start making changes and investing in better raw materials. 

I would recomend to stay away from regural bakers yeast if possible, because honey (even diluted is quite stressfull enviroment for yeast). I would recomend to use champagne yeast with some nutrients strated on apple juice or something. and of course use cleanest utensils as possible to avoid contamination. Jack

1 Like

im a kit brewer.   i enjoy it.   id love to try extract brewing someday… gonna put some beer on today actually !.   i brewed a mead or two after reading cara schulzs book on foolproof mead making.  its a real quick and easy mead but very nice.

1 Like

Haven’t made mead but my wife and I do make wine from the fruit trees on our property. Though it’s somewhat mead-like in that I add enough sugar to start for it to get to 13% alcohol without the fruit. With grape wine yeast, usually 3-4 5 gallon buckets. I can’t stand the stuff until I’ve racked it a couple times to settle out the momentous amounts of yeast. Feels good not to waste all those buckets of pears though

1 Like

I seem to remember somewhere reading that today’s mead may not be like the old kind, as somewhere was written something about frothing horns of mead.