Indian Snuff post - from India - For beginners and advanced - a newbie's journey

@JosephJames, I don’t know what Indian consumers are like with online shopping, but an Internet based business would be interesting, particularly if you could export from India to consumers abroad. There must be other Indians who’d like to access snuff. Even if it’s a tiny percent of one billion people, it wouldn’t be a bad market. Add the enthusiasts from abroad, and you might have a business.

2 Likes

Well, I noticed he cannot get snuff even though there are manufacturers in India. Sounds like a business opportunity to me.

2 Likes

USA.

Black snuffs are about the easiest Dholakia Taj. 41 Photo himtaj , 6 Photo Anarkali, Kailash, Motia, and Special. all the Dholakia; Wow ,Temptation And Blast are pretty easy. Dholakia classic range are a bit harder. Sparrow is a challenge and the whites are most challenging and most rewarding.

2 Likes

@basement_shaman - Nice perspective. I too find the black snuffs easiest to take and more flavorful which I love. Maybe eventually I will like the harder variety. 

@JosephJames - I so wish I could - it would help me and others. Maybe I would if I would be independently doing my own thing somewhere. But since I am at a workplace, the ethics issue prevent me from taking anything up with a commercial advantage. Plus the time concern. As of now, I’d be happy getting all the access as a consumer and stock up :slight_smile:

Great comments all around. I concur. I also have the Horse Joshi, Sugandsahar Rose, and a couple whose names I can’t recall. My favorites are 6 Photo Kailish, Dholakia Taj, and Motia. I enjoy them all at one time or another. Thats great that you ordered direct from 6Photo. I Googled Indian snuff manufacturers once, and saw about 15 different companies pop up. Some had websites, others did not. None of them had shopping carts, sadly. I can only imagine that there are numerous brands that we never will get the chance to sample. But you’re off to a good start at any rate. You might like to try some of the snuffs mentioned in this thread.

Good thread @ newbiesnuffer

I am from Coimbatore, S. India. Dear Vikas of sixphoto kindly sent an assortment of his snuffs free of cost when I messaged him. Our interaction was mostly through message feature in this forum. Some of it ( I think he wont mind me sharing this in the forum)-

“I am from Tamilnadu. We used to get a great variety of snuffs about 10 years back. But now only DS and MS brands are available. I think the habit is dying. I would like to try out your different snuff products very much. Can you make it available in Tamilnadu or at at least can you arrange to mail me a box or two? I am willing to pay for the cost of the product and shipment. Hope to hear from you soon.”

"Thanks for writing to me.I appreciate your interest in our products.

Please send me your postal address.I shall be glad to send you a free sample box containing an assortment of different snuffs in 8 g packing."

He wanted to know more about the snuff culture in my state in general and my snuff use in particular.

1 Like

Continuation:

"Right now in Coimbatore, the only brand available is DS snuff. I have been snuffing on and off for more that 20 years. Started off with Umbrella snuff, a dark not so fine milled snuff. Then after trying several brands (were available then!) like MS, NC, etc and several unbranded snuffs, stuck with TAS. Gradually stopped snuff went on to other ways of taking nic, like smoking and chewing tobacco. Always had a tin lying around. Started snuffing last year, scoured Chennai for TAS, alas couldn’t find any. Settled for the next best- DS. I get my snuff from the wholesale shop in Coimbatore. They have two varieties, a light coloured strong snuff and a darkish mild, oily snuff. The dark snuff tastes like how Umbrella snuff tasted. I mix one portion of the dark one with three portions lighter one for a good balance of taste and strength but still don’t get a proper dose of nicotine as I used to. 

In Tamilnadu like elsewhere, the habit is dying. Thats why we have only one or two players in the scene. The age group of 50+ are the major consumers. Some of my colleagues have taken up the habit after seeing me take, but unfortunately they have not had the variety that I’ve had."

"Your post made interesting reading.It is amazing to find such interest and knowledge in snuff outside of industry circle.Maybe because you have travelled a lot,  Travel certainly enriches ones life .

It was also heartening to know that people down south are still interested in snuff, we have a few dealers in all southern states .The sale has been steady but nothing spectacular.I agree that snuff has not grown as well as khaini and gutka ,maybe its time will come.

Regarding promotion of snuff outside India, you would be surprised to know that a lot of Madras snuff (NC,DS,etc) is exported to China and the USA every year."

"Ha ha travel does that. I am fascinated with tobacco use and am an avid user myself. I also like to experiment with various products. 

Never thought you are from Bathinda. Your parcel may reach tomorrow or the day after. Will give you candid feedback.

Never thought you had dealers down here. Probably North Karnataka and AP. I observed many using dentifrice and snuff tobacco there. 

I favour clean strong pure tobacco, hence, my fascination for TAS, Hope you have included your Natural Snuff. Remember having some perfumed black snuff long back. Didn’t try again.

But again your flavoured ones may surprise me! 

Nice to know NC and DS is enjoyed abroad. NC is a very good product. Very close to TAS. Wish DS had a finer grind.  Don’t get NC here though. Market forces and the manufacturer-trader cabal are keeping them off the shelves. A big loss to the industry as a whole I’d say."

Continuation: 

“Hi Gokul !
Did you get the sample box ?
I’m eager to have a South Indian perspective on our products .
And Best wishes for the new year !”

Continuation:

"After reading and viewing reviews on Snuffhouse and other forums, I was eager to try out the North Indian snuffs. Was astonished at how popular it was abroad!

Was eager to try out the White Elephant for its nicotine hit and burn after my acquaintance, a long time snuffer told me. 

I discovered this awesome portal dedicated to snuff tobacco. After lurking for a long time, I decided to become a member. Then messaged some Indian snuff exporters. Was very happy when you sent an assortment of your top products. Started off with no 66 medicated, was awesome!!! 

Super Kailash and Anarkali were good. Cheeta was disappointing. Your curry is ok, but…

I like my snuff tobacco to be unscented. As I mentioned earlier in my Whatsapp message. 

This also was the sentiment expressed by a handful of people whom I gave your samples. All liked your medicated no 66 and no 666. No 666 made my nose raw!

My personal observations-

• The nicotine hit is different, with a nose full of Cheeta, I find the mild scent irritating and after some time a lingering taste of lime/chuna(in Hindi). The buzz is tingling but unpleasant. Tried it many times, but just couldn’t develop a taste for the Cheeta. The forum spoke about the WE having fishy scent, was thinking that. Honest unflavoured Cheeta is what I am hankering for now!

• Your medicated No 66! Incredible. Love it. Awesome balance in scents. Prefer it to medicated No 666. Would have a pinch or two a day. The nicotine is imperceptible.

• Miss TAS, but the DS I get here, with my combo: 1 black/ 3 golden is manna for me. The black is ghee roasted mild stuff which adds flavour without reducing the heat! Awesome nutty tobacco flavour, but could do better in the nicotine department. As of now thats my go to snuff. 

This I think is the universal taste of Tamilnadu snuffers. 

Thank you for asking my opinion, Vikas ji,"

4 Likes

Well sorry for flooding the page, I thought this would be apt in this forum. Vikas is a nice bloke and took my rather candid feedback like a good sport that he is.

@Gokul Great good post :slight_smile: finally at least I found an Indian snuff user on this forum other than Vikas. Yes, Vikas is an awesome guy and very receptive to comments. You and I - we have something common to share in some views. That’s nice. Of course you seem more experienced

2 Likes

Somewhat experienced. Please share your observations after taking various sixphoto products for at least a week. If you still have that NB lying around, send it to me. Not found in TN.

I knew a Gujerati (sp?) woman in Jakarta, she told me her town was well known for producing snuff and that a lot of people used it there. I have to admit, it would take me a minute or two to find the state on a map, but I seem to remember it was north-west.

Okay, I’m inspired to open my draw and pull out the collection of Indian snuffs I bought in Lhasa, Tibet. Fairly obscure, by which I mean not generally available at MS, where I buy almost all my snuff, but I’ve heard them mentioned on the forum now again, and some in this thread: Rajaram Hazrowla Tiger Madras 5 Photo Himalaya 555 Sri Sasta PB No 1153 ST Shunmugum Madras NC Super Special Umbrella Madras I haven’t used them for ages, but I filled up a box with Rajaram Hazrowla today. It’s a white snuff, much like Dholakia White or the elephant.

2 Likes

All those brands were available in many shops in Lhasa, as well as little packets of unnamed snuff in paper packets from cigarette sellers. Whenever I saw anyone actually using snuff, it was white snuff, which was ridiculously cheap, less than a cent a gram. The others were about double.

Wow @JakartaBoy - Thats a list I haven’t heard most of. I haven’t tried DW or the Elephant, but wish to sometime soon when I have mastered taking fine grind strong snuffs.  

So I haven’t encountered any of these :slight_smile: Sad, no? Perhaps I need to get out of my city 

Rajaram Hazrowla 
Tiger Madras 
555 Sri Sasta
PB No 1153 ST Shunmugum Madras
NC Super Special
Umbrella Madras

Good collection and post. Appreciate the effort. 

1 Like

And yeah, @JakartaBoy - Gujarat is the state next to mine on the western part of India. I am now tempted to go on a snuff trail. I should try and gather a gang and may do it someday… yeah, someday 

1 Like

http://www.snuff.co.in/m/ Well, if you’re only a short hop away from Gujarat, maybe you should drop in and say hello to the Dholakia factory. It would make sense that they have an outlet in the town in which they are based.

PS Send me a kilo tub of Dholakia White while you’re there!