Indian Snuff post - from India - For beginners and advanced - a newbie's journey

Thanks for all your insights @Tekno @Psicko @Nulliverse @JosephJames

I am still waiting for an Indian snuff user who can share more light on the Indian scenario, but I think I will be a lone wolf on this considering people don’t know about this in my city and I guess Indian guys and gals prefer smoking as more acceptable form of nicotine intake (albeit also being more “stylish”). Also, people here are more a victim of being concerned by a “what the other is thinking” syndrome. 

Thanks @JakartaBoy - Amazing insight on usage by brahmins! 

I would love to think that there are retail outlets in Mumbai which I haven’t explored or know about, but I really guess there is a little hope. The limited retail outlets here have no clue of the brands which you guys are raving about and seems they just stock some for the sake of it since they mainly have opened shop to sell tobacco and betel nuts and leaves (due to demand). Their knowledge in Indian brand snuff seems as limited as my knowledge in rocket science.

2 Likes

Snuff is similarly ‘uncool’ in the UK @newbies buffer! People generally vape their nicotine, or smoke. Most Brits of my age don’t generally know what snuff is. That said, I’m extremely grateful for availability, variety and heritage the UK has regarding snuff. I’m interested in your journey of discovery India and hope you find some fellow Indian snuffers.

1 Like

Jealous of you @Nulliverse :) and thanks for the good words. I hope I find some Indian snuffers with whom I can share as well. 

Whats your age btw? I am 35. 

Last time I ordered, I just threw in a small tin of 6 Photo Special on a whim, mostly because I’d never tried an Indian snuff and wanted a bit of variety.

I was blown away.  It was fantastic.  I burned through it faster than any of the other stuff I ordered.  I’m gonna order the 200g tin next time, and throw in a few others from 6 Photo to see if the rest is as good.

2 Likes

I have some Anarkali, Kailash and Super Kailash for occasional use. I don’t use them often as they are a little messy to pinch (my preferred method), but these three are very nice exotic treats

Well, I guess there’s a hope that snuff will become more widely used and accepted in the West, perhaps even “cool”, and that Indians will pick up on it and revive their own traditions. Do you get a lot of people vaping over there? All the rage in Jakarta amongst the young middle class kids!

1 Like

Well vaping is not that much used, partially since it is not legal in my state. Different states have their own prohibited sales agenda on tobacco and such products and the state I live in is one of them. The other reason people don’t vape much is that cigarettes are more easily available. In a 1 km radius in a residential or office area there would be close to 5-8 vendors selling cigarettes. Buy yes, I haven’t seen such scarcity of any other product as I have seen of snuff in and around my area - ironically.

1 Like

@newbiesnuffer do you have any main concerns from ordering from an online supplier like MrSnuff or Toque? From my understanding these two companies ship to almost anywhere! They are reliable and very trustworthy I have never had an issue with either of them.

2 Likes

It is crazy how a harmful use of tobacco trumps safer ways in sales and popularity. I’m the same generation as you @newbiesnuffer - 36. In the UK most people our age don’t what it is, and screw up their noses when they find out (whilst smoking their toxic cigarettes). You have to chuckle at the irony. Though Aamon makes a good point. Online snuff distributors provide an excellent international service.

1 Like

@Aamon, it would a shame for someone in India to have to order Indian snuff from the UK! Apart from anything else, from what I saw of the prices of Indian snuff in Tibet, it would be dirt cheap in India. Dave has to add the cost of getting it to UK, then processing it at his warehouse, then shipping it back to India. There would have to be a better way.

2 Likes

@JakartaBoy I agree you make a fine point about Indian snuffs. Although on the other hand being able to try other manufactures from around the world and paying a little extra, is a small price to pay for access to other wonderful snuffs.

@Nulliverse - I agree.

@Aamon and @JakartaBoy - I agree with both of you. While its wonky to think I’ll order Indian snuffs via the UK, I can definitely try to get some other ones which people rave about. I’d love to try some international brands as well :slight_smile:

The issue is that I don’t prefer dealing in credit cards (dont have one as of now) and I’ll have to check whether they accept net banking from Indian Banks. I’ll check out whats possible. 

Also, for Indian consumers buying from some place like Mr. Snuff in which I have to directly convert rupees to pounds or dollars, it comes to a HUGE (yes, in caps kinda huge) amount which is not justified for the quantity we get (the price vs value vs currency conversion argument).

But my woes (for a while) are gone since my samplers of the range of Six photo have arrived! I’ll let everyone know how it goes. Kindly keep this thread alive. 

4 Likes

Excellent @newbiesnuffer! Looking forward to your impressions.

1 Like

@newbiesnuffer Perhaps there is a business opportunity in this for you. Have you thought of becoming a dealer for Indian snuff manufacturers?

2 Likes

@JosephJames, I don’t know what Indian consumers are like with online shopping, but an Internet based business would be interesting, particularly if you could export from India to consumers abroad. There must be other Indians who’d like to access snuff. Even if it’s a tiny percent of one billion people, it wouldn’t be a bad market. Add the enthusiasts from abroad, and you might have a business.

2 Likes

Well, I noticed he cannot get snuff even though there are manufacturers in India. Sounds like a business opportunity to me.

2 Likes

USA.

Black snuffs are about the easiest Dholakia Taj. 41 Photo himtaj , 6 Photo Anarkali, Kailash, Motia, and Special. all the Dholakia; Wow ,Temptation And Blast are pretty easy. Dholakia classic range are a bit harder. Sparrow is a challenge and the whites are most challenging and most rewarding.

2 Likes

@basement_shaman - Nice perspective. I too find the black snuffs easiest to take and more flavorful which I love. Maybe eventually I will like the harder variety. 

@JosephJames - I so wish I could - it would help me and others. Maybe I would if I would be independently doing my own thing somewhere. But since I am at a workplace, the ethics issue prevent me from taking anything up with a commercial advantage. Plus the time concern. As of now, I’d be happy getting all the access as a consumer and stock up :slight_smile:

Great comments all around. I concur. I also have the Horse Joshi, Sugandsahar Rose, and a couple whose names I can’t recall. My favorites are 6 Photo Kailish, Dholakia Taj, and Motia. I enjoy them all at one time or another. Thats great that you ordered direct from 6Photo. I Googled Indian snuff manufacturers once, and saw about 15 different companies pop up. Some had websites, others did not. None of them had shopping carts, sadly. I can only imagine that there are numerous brands that we never will get the chance to sample. But you’re off to a good start at any rate. You might like to try some of the snuffs mentioned in this thread.