R.I.P. Chef Daniel Richard of Old Mill Snuff (1957-2016)

I can’t believe it.  So sad.  We’ll miss you Chef Daniel.  RIP.  Thanks for keeping us informed @BenZion.  I only knew Daniel via emails, but that’s all that was needed to know what kind of guy he is.  He once sent me a tin of his beloved discontinued Redcrest, and offered to do so for free, just because he was a nice guy.  

2 Likes

Today is a sad day for me, my condolence for his family a his friends

2 Likes

Here is his obituary:
http://www.gallatinnews.com/daniel-richard-cms-17703

3 Likes

WTF

1 Like

I know we should celebrate his life , and I do, but I’m still in shock over his sudden passing. He was our friend. I’m convinced that the comraderie was more important than the snuff to him. At least that’s how I feel about him.

2 Likes

Hi Again, Snuff Friends and Neighbors:

@SHbickel: You are not the only one wondering about Daniel’s snuff recipes. I don’t expect to be able to seriously crawl into his computer or “snuff lab” for a week or more, but you can bet that is one computer folder I will be looking for. On the other hand, he used to say," Whether it’s food or snuff, I don’t know what the hell I’m doing. I just follow the muse until it tastes good." Another favorite quip of his was, “Tobacco or food. Get your hands on the best ingredients possible and try not to f*#@+k them up.” So I don’t really expect to find a meticulous written record, but I know that any archival materials will be of considerable interest the snuff community. I will, of course, share them in accordance with his family’s wishes.

SeanOCDPx: Regarding Daniel’s snuff generosity, I’m sure I’m not the only one who heard him say that, if he wanted money, he wouldn’t have founded Old Mill. He was simply an incurable tinkerer, and absolutely loved the whole weird, tight-knit, underground, obsessive pleasure of snuff and the snuff world (and especially the people who inhabit it). He just really dug being a sort of evangelist for our chosen pleasure substance. Many are aware that the chef was almost as passionate about food, wine, cigars, and spirits, and I’ll bet some of you who inhabit those worlds have been discussing him there as well.

I will be passing along all of the wonderful thoughts and condolences here as they come in. I know that the family will be deeply touched and very grateful.

More information as it becomes available. As they used to say in the newspaper trade, “Watch this space!”

BenZion in Louisville

5 Likes

Such a big loss to this world and the snuff community. He was truely a special man. I only began snuffing a few months ago, but I made at least 10 orders from him and was such a class act. Be will sorely be missed. RIP @chefdan

2 Likes

THIS IS A LOSS TO MANKIND. My condolences to those most close to him,( familly and world).! Will comment again when I have accepted this loss., :(( :-<

2 Likes

Sad news of course, Daniel had at one point lived in San Francisco thus we had another point of commonality to email about 

1 Like

Very sad news… i will honour him tonight by using his fantastic snuffs.

2 Likes

This is the worst possible news. I only ever tried Bananas Foster, but had planned on sampling Old Mill’s current range next month. Even if the company is no more, I’m glad I got to experience at least one of the fantastic snuffs Chef produced, and am even more pleased to have known his such as I did, for however brief a time.

1 Like

This is such a devastating news. Such a loss. My sincerest condolences to the family.

2 Likes

The world just got a little more boring. You’ll be missed, Chef.

6 Likes

Very sad news to know, my condolences to the family & friends.

I never exchanged mails with him or tried one of his snuffs, but just to read his posts here, full of anecdotes, jokes, wisdom about snuff or just life brightened my pass through snuffhouse.

For sure he is now in heaven wondering how to make some delicious celestial cloud snuff with Chloe by his side.

He will be missed. :frowning:

4 Likes

I loved his snuffs and enjoyed his posts and the occasional private conversations I had with him. Sad to hear that he’s gone.

1 Like

My thoughts and condolences to Chef Daniels family and loved ones. This was very unexpected and after reading the headline yesterday i couldn’t even bring myself to read the thread. I’ve spent the last day thinking about the Chef, his passions, his business, and his legacy. This weekend my nose will be filled with nothing but OM in honor of the man himself. 

Rest in peace dear Sir, you will be remembered!

5 Likes

I’ve gotten many laughs and learned many things reading Daniel’s posts. The snuff community is much richer thanks to the time he was able to spend with us.

My condolences to his family.

RIP Chef

3 Likes

Well Chef  you and  Chloe, The Maine Coon Guard Kitty forever in my memories. I sending positive thought for your family . 

You claimed to be a reprobate. And I am sure you shook a few trees. But you have touched the lives of many and provided pleasure of the sacred leaf to those fortune enough.  

Rest in peace my Snuffhouse brother.

11 Likes

I also just shared this with our Facebook snuff group friends to help spread this tragic news woth other snuffers

1 Like

@Justin

“The world just got a little more boring.”

What a perfect sentence.  Says it all about Daniel.  He would have had quite a chuckle reading that.

BenZion in Louisville

3 Likes