R.I.P. Chef Daniel Richard of Old Mill Snuff (1957-2016)

Hello Brothers and Sisters:

It is my sad duty to inform everyone in the snuff community that Daniel Richard, respected chef, culinary expert, brilliant tobacco alchemist, and internationally recognized and lauded creator of Old Mill Artisan Snuff, passed away last Sunday night following a heart attack at his home near Nashville, TN, USA.  

Not only was Daniel a lifelong friend of fifty years to me personally, he was obviously an important voice and creator in the world of nasal snuff. He was also the holder of the most encyclopedic knowledge of all things tobacco whom I’ve ever met.  I know that he has MANY friends here on Snuffhouse.com, and I was asked by his family to pass this news along to everyone.

This is obviously a major loss to the snuff world, as well as to, frankly, the human family generally.  We have lost a true creative mastermind, a good man, and a fine husband, father, brother, and friend.  

Daniel’s family will hold a small private memorial followed by cremation.  I will attempt to field questions about the status of Old Mill, the disposition of pending orders, pending decisions about his remaining snuff inventory, and so on.  Understandably, the family is not yet ready to delve into the snuff part of things at this moment, but I will post information about Old Mill as it becomes available to me.  I’ll be monitoring this site daily and providing all relevant information as it emerges.  I’ll do my best to respond to inquiries from any Snuffhouse.com members.  This may take some time to sort out, but I know that Daniel would be able to rest easy knowing that all of you will be patient and understanding about the situation as we all move forward.

For now, I’m sure the chef’s family would simply appreciate your positive thoughts and good vibes as they deal with this devastating loss.

With Best Regards, 

Dr. Bob Van Sickel (Louisville, KY, USA) (BenZion to Snuffhouse.com members)

Shocking and sad news. Although I never met him personally, I’ve exchanged a lot of e-mails with him, picked his brain for snuff-making wisdom, as well as other topics such as food, cocktails, and the culinary profession. I was always holding out hope I might someday get an opportunity to meet him. I’ve got a nice collection of his snuffs, which I’ll continue to enjoy, and tonight I’ll select a fine bourbon to raise a toast to his life well lived. People with his creativity and vitality, knowing how short our transit on this planet can be, hope to leave a legacy of artistic gifts, lives improved, even a little, by their presence. And I think he accomplished that and more.

1 Like

although I dont sign in as much anymore. I still check this page out almost daily.  this is such sad news. prayers for the family to get them through such troubling times. ive exchanged emails with him as well and can tell you the world lost a great man. I will join you in that toast and raise my glass to him too.

1 Like

Oh man, that sucks. My thoughts go out to his family. Rest in peace.

1 Like

This is really devastating. I don’t have many words to say. I’m really sorry for his Family and send a lot of love to them.

1 Like

I am so sorry to hear this. This is devastating news. My most sincere condolences to his family. I will miss him.

1 Like

I too only knew Daniel through emails but I could tell he was a fine man and a creative genius. I am saddened by his sudden passing and my prayers go out to his family and loved ones. 

1 Like

Very sad news.

I always enjoyed his contributions here and this news feels like losing a family member.

My deepest sympathies to his family and my prayers for him.

1 Like

Rest in peace, old bear. May you find the most delicate snuffs where youre t now.

1 Like

Daniel was a class act and a genius when it came to snuff. He treated me very well these past few years and I always enjoy my communications with him. I pray for his family and loved ones.

1 Like

A horrendous loss to the snuff community

May he RIP.

1 Like

RIP Chef

Gone but never forgotten.

2 Likes

Very unexpected and sad news. Only ever shared a few PM’s with Daniel but always enjoyed reading his witty and informative posts. He came across as a true gentleman in every respect. A great loss to the community indeed. RIP Sir.

2 Likes

I am sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, I was never able to order any of his snuff. However, reading this site, it is easy to see what a stellar reputation he has.

2 Likes

Wow, this is heavy. As you said, Daniel is a loss for all mankind.  Prayers and good vibes heading to his family.

@BenZion Thanks and respect to you for helping his family in the aftermath of such a devastating loss.  You’re a good friend.  I’m curious if Chef Daniel kept a recipe book in some fashion.  I would hate for future snuffers to lose the possibility to experience Old Mill snuffs.

1 Like

I’m at a complete loss for words.  I never met him personally, but we spoke through email and over the phone every few weeks.  This is devastating.

2 Likes

R.I.P Chef, such a great man. Very sad loss.

2 Likes

Rest in peace Chef. Condolences to his family. We will all miss you, have we met or not. :frowning:

2 Likes

What a shame, he always was top notch the few times I spoke with him, and his knowledge will be missed. RIP Chef.

2 Likes

RIP Chef. Words fail me. I raise a glass of 15yr Ben Nevis

2 Likes