Pinch, Tap, or Spoon?

My previous answer was just one word. Pinch! The pinch still remains my preference, although there is a slight update. When I fill my snuffbox with nice moist snuff, I will use the pinch, and keep doing so until the snuff starts to dry out and get a little dusty. Before, I used to set that snuffbox aside for the day, and put it into a tupperware box to rehydrate overnight. I’ve now found, that if the quantity of snuff isn’t worth rehydrating, that I can more comfortably used the slide door on the snuffbox and use up the rest of the snuff off the thumbnail (using what many here call the box car technique). It’s also useful for consuming the last dregs from the snuffbox, when you can’t get your fingers into the corner. I still prefer the pinch though.

1 Like

After all these votes for pinching got me trying it for the past few days and i decided i do prefer it. i change my vote to pinch!

I never used to pinch (only used back of hand)until I got into taxi and black rapee. Now I sometimes take normal snuffs from the pinch, mostly because I can’t find a good tapbox.

I was boxcar exclusively for several months, but now I’m a pincher.  I only boxcar if my fingers are too… unsavory… to take a pinch.

I’m split between pinch or back of the hand depending on the snuff. Toast will get a spoon if I am at home as it clumps if I pinch… Never got into the boxcar for whatever reason… Started with the back of my hand in '98 and got used to it!

I posted previously that I only use the pinch method. I did, however, make this little fella at work today for my wife @Kaitlandia. I think it turned out pretty decent. image

2 Likes

It turned out great I love it! Thank you! It works great for my tiny nose holes lmao @FischTix

2 Likes

I was lucky enough to find a snuff spoon so i’m waiting to see what arrives first.  The snuff or the snuff spoon.  I’m a complete novice so we’ll see how this goes.  I figure i’ll use a spoon because i’m dealing with moist snuff

Well… I use them all three :smiley:

40 % tapping

30 % pinching

25 % spoon

5 % use to hit the ground … on some snuff more than on others… mostly schmalzlers which I take from the back of my hand frequently use to roll off the back of my hand.

@Humppa, have you tried boxcar for schmai? I prefer this way for coarse ones and those KB-like. No rolling off!

@volunge - Yes I almost tried it and I like it. But with Schmalzler I prefer the back-of-the-hand method. Being very traditional in the bavarian way - I use my Schmalzlers out of a porcellan flask with the bavarian crest on one side on the face of Konig Ludwig II on the other.

Being honest - usually it is not about 5 % of loss. Kinda joking there.

3 Likes

I pinch mostly…it just comes natural to me.  every once in awhile i boxcar or sniff off the back of the hand but with most snuffs i pinch except for Otto Shcmalzler and Taxi Blue which i just unceremoniously stuff up my nose.

1 Like

My preference is for the pinch. I have the most control and get the best aroma that way, plus I can do it without any thought. But my bulk snuffs are kept in vials, so I end up using the back of my hand a fair amount. I’d eventually like to learn the art of the spoon though… would be nice to avoid the finger cleaning after every pinch when reading a book, typing, etc.

3 Likes

This spoon thing caught my attention. I think it would serve well dealing with very fine snuff. I started with most popular Poshl products, so the tapboxes were my go-to for many years. Sometimes they clogged and there was too much, too little or none snuff on my hand. Especially if it was windy outside and I could see my portion flying away… However, after I discovered all the fancy tins of tabaka, realised theres nothing better than a good ol’ pinch of it. You can stuff your nose, sniff it slowly for a few minutes or enjoy mangling it with your fingers… Be it coarse or fine grind, pinching always works for me.

3 Likes

It’s excellent for moist snuff.  No way would i attempt to finger it.  I’d probably overdo it

I pinch all snuffs. The finer the grind the more I enjoy them from the back of the hand.

2 Likes

I like using a spoon…it gives me the best portion control. I also enjoy tapping some out on the back of my hand. It Is usually a pretty quick option. As a newbie, I have no idea what a boxcar is. Lol!

@Ben_MacM Box car is where you wrap your index finger around the end of your thumb and place the snuff on your thumb nail. I either pinch or use this method.

That sounds pretty cool. It seems like it would be a rather large portion…but hey, anything is worth a shot at least once. Thanks @Slide for the explanation. 

@Ben_MacM An illustration of boxcar: http://www.modernsnuff.com/technique/index.html#boxcar

Preparing boxcar load, you can pour as much snuff as you like. Pretty much no limits there!

1 Like