NYT

Interesting article  that this !@^&$%#^$%6 website won’t let me post here.

Try pasting the URL into notepad, and then copying from notepad.  That will remove all formatting.  (Windows+R and run notepad.exe)
Alternately, try pasting into the icon second from the right (the clipboard with a “T”)

I’m curious, so I hope you can get it to work!!

1 Like

Third try

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/03/23/garden/snuff-tradition-that-still-persists.html

2 Likes

Looks good

1 Like

“Three mills in Kendal”??? What was the third, and what happened to it? “Most snuff takers use less than an ounce a week” I’d certainly fall into that category. That’s 4g a day, and even on heavy days I don’t think I’d be doing that, or certainly not regularly. “750,000 pounds produced in Great Britain each year” At that time coal mining was a big industry, employing a couple of hundred thousand men, and many of those would have been using snuff. It would be interesting to know how that compares with today Interesting also that the most expensive snuff was double the price of a packet of cigarettes, and now most english snuffs are between 1/4 and 1/3 the price of a pack of cigs for a 25g tin

1 Like

1983, how times have changed, especially regarding the prices quoted for snuff versus cigarettes.

1 Like

The third snuff mill was illingsworth. A fire in 1983 destroyed everything. The same year as that article. Illingsworth worked for either SG or GH and branched off on his own in the 1830’s.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info @Psicko

1 Like

@50ft_trad, no worries. Google gave me that info. Just curious does your name have anything to do with climbing?

1 Like

@Psicko No, it’s a type of British narrowboat (canal boat). I had one when I first signed up here, but it’s now gone.

1 Like

Gotcha, now back to regular broadcasting…

1 Like