Most Overrated Snuff

We’ve got a “Most Underrated Snuff” thread, so I figured we ought to have a counterpart. While I recognize and respect that we all have different tastes, given my personal tastes the most overrated snuffs available are: 1. 41P White Elephant (IMHO, there are better snuffs with equivalent Vitamin N) 2. Poschl Gletscherprise (IMHO, not only is it not the best mild menthol out there, it’s not even the best mild menthol Poschl) 3. Viking Dark (this, along with GH Sea Breezes and Gotard Irish Cream, ranks in my bottom three) So what say you? Any snuffs you see getting tons of love here that leave you scratching your head?

With all due respect - SPs (as in bergamot snuff).  Sorry SP folks!  I don’t dislike them, but I remember taking my first SP and thinking “This is the beloved SP scent?”.  Years down the road, when I’m tired of everything else and just want a plain all-day snuff with a light scent added, then I might appreciate the SPs more.  

…This was also my first “bad hit” of snuff.  It was Toque SP Extra, and it freaking hurt.  I was brand new, only had SG before that, and so I just really took a big pinch of it hard and fast.  So honestly, I wasn’t like “This is the beloved SP scent?”, but I was more like “F*** SPs!”   …still though, I don’t think it’s that great of an aroma.  

2 Likes

This is controversial, and could potentially upset some of my snuffhouse friends, so I try not to say it too often these days … Artisan snuffs! Apologies to the craftsmen that make these creations, and to those here that adore their offerings. I find them either too fine and dry (which I hate irrespective of maker) and the moister coarser artisan snuffs despite some very lovely scents, give me a completely prohibitive backdrip, which on occasion has actually got me retching. Dholakia Wine and Cheese is the only other snuff which has achieved this with me. They are a premium priced product that for me have had a 100% failure rate. I don’t want to dissuade anyone else from trying them, we all have very different tastes, but I decided quite a while back that I will not be trying any more. Toasts Aside from being fine and dry (see my comments above), I find the scent truly revolting. I’m struggling to describe it as it’s so long (thankfully) since having the scent in my snout, but I want to say burning rubber, or burning electrical insulation. Just like those smells, the smell of toasts doesn’t go away either. It stubbornly clings on to the inside of your face while you try and batter it to death with repeated pinches of Bordeaux. Menthol I don’t mind a very subtle hint, or even a slightly less subtle hint if suffering a cold, but some snuffs burn my face so hard I just want to dunk my head in a bucket of Flamazine. You know how food packages have warnings when food contains nuts (even when nuts are the only thing in the packet), well I think they should do the same with menthol snuffs. It would be nice to know if I’m about to indulge in a self afflicted acid attack, so I can have a dermatologist on standby

3 Likes

@tobe great thread and I agree with you on the viking. But I’m unsure if my sample was as originally designed or a bad batch. Do you notice a spearmint scent? @50ft_trad I’m with you on the menthol. The tiniest hint is great for me, more than that I don’t like. I have a tin of super menthol by wos that I put a pinch of in some of my blends and is nice. As to overrated, I think whites in general are overrated. Don’t get me wrong, they’re good, but I don’t see them as being worthy of being put on a pedestal.

1 Like

@snuffsahoy I don’t recall a spearmint scent at all, but it’s been a while. In fairness, I’m going to try some Viking Dark again later on just to see if it’s improved somehow. And to your comment about whites, Dholakia White is another snuff I consider overrated, for the same reason as 41P WE.

@snuffsahoy, just did a lot of it and there’s no spearmint in it…unless your nose (brain ) is translating something in there as such, which is possible

1 Like

Possible, but I think Occam’s razor applies here, I probably just got the batch kept next to the spear at the warehouse. Sorry for the hijack, back on topic.

1 Like

I have to concur with White Elephant. Not that I have anything against the lumbering pachyderm; indeed, I love the stuff. Then again, the Beatles were, at one and the same time, both the most over-rated and the best pop group in the history of pop groups. I rather imagine that George (surely the most under-rated of the over-rateds) would have loved a nostril or two of the stuff whilst jabbering away with the Maharishi.

3 Likes

I still love the WE and the ‘novelty’ hasn’t tarnished, unlike my feelings for F&T HDT. Loved that at first but it struck me recently just how alike it is to Toque natural toast. That doesn’t make it ‘bad’ in any way but it knocks it from the pedestal it is so often placed upon, and elevates the Toque from its comparitive nowhere status to the heights it deserves. Now I know we all have different interpretations of snuff but when I handed the two tins in question to my missus to verify my suspicions, she swore they were the same snuff despite my protestations to the contrary and could not be convinced otherwise.

1 Like

@snuffsahoy No spearmint detected, just burning rubber or some such. I’m going to give it a bit more time and see if… Well, no. Actually I’m just going to get rid of it and the Viking Brown. They’re just not for me.

1 Like

@Tobe Keep them! They’ll make good bases for mixers to tone down over scented snuffs, even if you don’t like them on their own

1 Like

Hmm… Hadn’t thought of that. Good idea! Thanks. Here I was looking to trade them away or sacrifice them to the trash can gods.

1 Like

Viking Blonde is one that leaves be cold. Great texture, but has a bit of a sickly toast scent. Mixed with a bit of F&T Seville makes it very usable. Good mixers for the Brown are GH Cherry, Celtic Talisman or Firedance. The strong F&T florals may work well too. I don’t think I’ve ever mixed the Dark

1 Like

This is a fun thread B-) As I read through it, I can’t help but reflect on how my tastes have changed over the years. Menthols, for example, I avoided at all costs until, for no particular reason, I started slowly getting into them. Still not an all-day for me, but certainly a few ate becoming every day. Oh, and fruit snuffs! I used to roll my eyes when someone would rank a fruity or sweet snuff as one of their favorites, but for the last month, again for no particular reason, Toque Grapefruit has been my go-to morning pinch, and Toque Raspberry comes with me on any nice, sunny day! On the topic of “artisans”, I agree and I disagree. There is a camp out there who seem to feel that anything labeled “artisan” is inherently superior to anything mass produced, which is obviously not true. There are plenty of small-batch snuffs whose commercial counterparts are every bit as good, if not better, and sometimes at less than half the price. There are also some snuffs under the “artisan” label that rank among my favorites, which I don’t mind paying the extra money for. That said, and there was once a time it was dangerous to say this here, I have yet to try anything by Abraxas that I thought was anything better than “okay”. I’ve watched my tastes change so radically that I’ve learned not to write anything off anymore, ever. In fact, if any of you watch my channel, you’ll notice I don’t have any bad reviews on it. This is not because I love everything I try, it’s because I can’t predict what I’m even going to like a year from now, let alone what your tastes are, so who am I to steer you away from something you may end up loving, just because I don’t like it right now? On topic, though, if I had to put something down at the moment that I just can’t agree about, it’s florals. I like a couple that have a HINT of floral, but straight floral snuffs, to me, are soapy. Some of the more popular ones have literally made me wretch, and pretty much all of them give me a headache.

2 Likes

I agree @hitsuzen, snuff tastes change, or sometimes just the mood changes. @tobe don’t throw anything out, maybe decant to glass and put in a out of the way tote. They take so little room and you might enjoy them later. Even the viking I found myself taking a few big pinches of yesterday as a change of pace. And it was nice as that.

1 Like

Toque Spanish Gem. To me it tastes like chocolate and I find Toque Chocolate better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to clarify ,I wrote my review of 41 Photo White Elephant years before Mr Snuff sold it. And as anyone that been using snuff for at lease 5 yrs will agree, batches change all the time. Also what been sitting in a warehouse may or may not be the same snuff others love or hate. I find the new WE to be a bit weaker and much easier to use then the batch I wrote my review on. I use Dholakia White just as often I find it’s strength hasn’t changed much over the last decade.

I no long write reviews. I wouldn’t want to mislead anyone.

3 Likes

Toque Quit. I simply don’t get it all the hoopla, but that’s how it goes.

2 Likes

WoS Tom Buck. Just recently finished a second tin of this and really after a very awesome first gram or two, this stuff just loses its taste for me regardless of how much care I put in to decanting it right away into airtight glass containers. I love SP’s when I am in the mood for one, but I like the scent to last for more than 1.5 seconds with diminishing returns over time! Also, Dholakia. Friggin. Black. Not that this actually gets a lot of hype but people do swear by it. Like basement shaman said, batches do vary, but holy hell if I lucked out in getting the one that truly smells like a dirty diaper. I don’t mean barn yard or hay or farm yard or manure, those scents I can handle and in fact enjoy. I mean the smell of fecal matter mixed with that mild scent that diaper companies insist on working in to the diaper material. That is literally what I got every time and it lingered in a very unpleasant way. I tried airing the snuff out and I think it actually got worse. I experience that smell from a reasonable distance many times a day with my baby twins so, no, I am not interested in paying money to intentionally lodge that smell in powdered form into my sinuses. I love Dholakia white and 41 photo WE but come on, this stuff is just gross.

I agree with @54_trad about artisan snuffs. I think the artisan makers must be missing part of the process or using the wrong additives or something. My own experiments have been very similar. I also strongly disapprove of one maker’s use of the name ‘Lundy Foot’, especially given the fact that we don’t even know for sure what Lundy Foot was actually like, or even exactly what type of snuff it was.