How long do you keep snuff in your nose?

I’m new to snuff, and I’m wondering, how long do you keep a pinch in before you blow your nose?  How fast is the nicotine from snuff absorbed?  I mean, I don’t want to keep the pinch in just to have it sit there after it’s finished doing its job - any more than I would want to keep sucking on the filter of a cigarette I’ve stubbed out - but at the same time, I want to reap all the goodness I can from my pinch.  Is most of the nicotine absorbed once the initial burn has worn off?  I’m just confused about this.  With a cigarette, cigar, or pipe, you know when it’s over.  With snuff and snus, it’s very open-ended.  I could practically use smoking my cigarette as a kitchen timer, whereas with non-combustive forms of tobacco it’s very non-definitive.  What about when you take a pinch of snuff and then sneeze almost immediately thereafter - do you get anything from that, or is it just a waste of tobacco?

I just listen to my nose.  It lets me know when to blow.  Different varieties will alter the timing.  Toasts - it feels like I never need to blow.  Whereas something like Elmo’s - gotta blow within a few seconds!

I personally don’t worry too much about the nicotine absorption vs. length in nose question.  Snuff is cheap enough that I don’t feel like I’m “wasting” any like I did with smokes.

1 Like

When I of think it, I like to clean out my nose before I go to bed - seems like a good idea.  Other than that, I only blow my nose if the snuff is tickling, feeling weird, clogging, or whatever other reason there may be.  My nose doesn’t seem to agree with the Abraxas coarse snuffs.  No matter how much I try to overcome the grind, I’m always blowing it out immediately.  

If you feel the need to get the snuff out because you don’t like the idea of it just staying up there, I’d suggest doing so after 5-10 minutes, or perhaps whenever the enjoyable smell disappears.  Just an idea from someone relatively new who has been using snuff for 8 months.

People have reported noticing the nicotine absorption being fast with the finer/dryer snuffs, and slow-growing with the coarser snuffs/schmalzlers, etc.  I can’t seem to gauge these kinds of things.  

I never purposely have a clearout, it’s like a swamp up there! But sometimes I’ll start pickin’ absent-mindedly, as you do, then the floodgates open and I never fail to be amazed at the amount of gunk I get out.

1 Like

“I just listen to my nose.  It lets me know when to blow.”

@SHbickel has it right. Blow your nose when you have to and if you want and another snuff take it!

3 Likes

I clean my nose only when needed. Too much wiping and blowing will result in a raw sore nose. Use the softest cloth for dusting off the crumbs. Sometimes you can just pinch your nose with a tissue to soak up the excess flow. If you can, use the farmer blow out doors. I normally just clean my nose in the shower to remove a few grams. I try to use snuffs that don’t react to making my nose run or sneeze. But sometimes with cold weather it can’t be avoided.

1 Like

I generally keep it in until it has to come out because… A) It’s got annoying because there’s so much up there or it’s gotten too sloppy, B) It’s trying to come out on it’s own, leakage or chunks dropping out, C) I’m about to switch flavours and don’t want the first spoiling the second,

2 Likes

After a while, I can feel caking going on up there, so I blow it all out at that point. No sense taking more snuff when the “armor plate” of earlier snuffs won’t let you absorb any more nicotine, or indeed let any more snuff adhere to the inside of your nose.

4 Likes

Dependes on the snuff, and it’s not just the grind. Anyway I guess after 15 or 20 minutes

2 Likes

Medicated ones I tend to blow out up to 1 minute after pinch if its big… the coarser grinds without drips can stay there for about 5, maybe extra coarse 10 min maximum. With stronger, fine grind snuffs I blow out as soon as I felt nic hit, so its gone even after 20-30 seconds. Using saline water from time to time, especially before bedtime. For me, good cleanup before next pinch is necessary for better vitamin absorption.

2 Likes

Well the anser to the question old chap is rather, how long can I keep it out of my nos?. About five minuets a day I say.

4 Likes

@Johano You have to leave them in the nose for way longer. 10-30 minites or more.

1 Like

I leave it up there for as long as I can, before the running starts…usually 10 minutes. I then blow clean, wait a little bit (30-45 mins.), then do it all again. The drier fine snuff usually causes the nose to run pretty quickly.

2 Likes

10-20 minutes.

2 Likes

I didn’t know I was supposed to remove it. My nasal cavity is my bodies aerosol debris cleaner. It cleanses on its own.I only pick out the cake up front when my nose itches.

3 Likes

It’s cold out and I spend a lot of my day in and out of the cabin which makes my nose run anyway, I blow it out anytime I feel like it. I’ll twist and plunge and pull and get it clean. The best part is then my nose is fresh and ready for the next hit. Which I take immediately. I don’t care if it’s been 5 mins. I’d breath snuff instead of oxygen if I could.

2 Likes