Why is snuff so cheap?

Dunno what happened to my post starting ‘RYO is around’…must’ve passed out or summat. Anyway… here in the UK RYO is around

Is summat wrong with this site or my phone? My posts keep getting truncated!

@fj1988 if you use non-ascii characters the post gets truncated, I assume you were typing the pound sign? I don’t know why this is still happening, it should be an easy fix for them.

1 Like

786  I was actually having the same problem a few days ago, also from my 'phone.  As soon as I typed a few capital letters in a row (I was trying to type NC Arya) the browser would crash.  This happened four times in a row.  I find it interesting that @fj1988 was also typing several capital letters in a row at the point where his posts were getting cut off.  

1 Like

And there’s me thinking snuffhouse didn’t want me around anymore! Best keep things simple in future. Anyway… in England good roll-up baccy is around 18-19 pounds for 50g, your ‘average’ snuff is around 3 pounds and fifty pence for 25g. That makes snuff seem dirt cheap and roll-up tobacco horribly expensive, to me.

2 Likes

786 Eighteen pounds! That’s a king’s ransom!

Hey @slobandtom I’m sure you get this all the time but why the “786” on every post.

4 Likes

I figured ocd, 7 8 … :slight_smile:

786 It’s kind of like how Thelemites use 93 and Discordians use 23. :slight_smile: ( @SnuffSlinger, @snuffsahoy I’ll send a pm)

2 Likes

So… ocd then?

:slight_smile:

Other forms of tobacco are recognized vices, consequentially, the government taxes the crap out of them.

2 Likes

786 Then let’s hope our legislators remain uncultured Philistines and never read one of the many books from bygone eras which describe snufftaking as a vice! When I was a youth and came across such references I was always like, “vice!? They’re just sneezing!” (At the time I was biased by the pinch of Garrett my dad had given me from the back of his hand when I was eight or nine; therefore I believed that snuff was something one took in order to make oneself sneeze)

2 Likes

I’m hoping for a tepid resurgence. =)  Enough that we continue the trend of innovation and premium quality from the “new” guys like Old Mill and Abraxas… but not so much that we attract the ever-hungry eyes of the overlords.

3 Likes

Snuff may be inexpensive but to ship it from overseas is not.

5 Likes

I’ve got the best of both worlds - here in the UK snuff is cheap and the postage is peanuts. Please forgive my ignorance ( I’m new to this ) but is nasal snuff illegal / unobtainable in the States or something??

Snuff is not widely available in the retail space for much of the US.  Outside of the southeast, I’d say it’s officially rare.

I am the only snuff taker I know of IRL, and reactions from my fellow 'Muricans range from apprehensive curiosity, to outright distrust/disgust.  People seem to have hangups about things going in their nose, so I always ask them in return why they feel that imbibing combusted tobacco through their soft, no-longer-pink lungs is any less disturbing.  =)

1 Like

@fj1988, I’ve never quite got to the bottom of it myself, but apparently there is an American law known as “the PACT Act” which forbids the transport of tobacco through the US postal service, with some weird exemptions for pipe tobacco and cigars and also not affecting shipments from overseas. It’s more or less legal to sell in shops, but hard to find because the market is small. Does that make sense now? No, me neither. But by all credible accounts, that’s the way it works.

I wonder if you could set up an online snuff shop in Puerto Rico or Mexico to get around this?

I recall hearing the reason USA can receive shipments of snuff from UK is due to an old treaty that says if it is legal to ship a product within either country, it is legal to ship between the countries.  All I know is… if I lose my Mr. Snuff I will be a very sad snuffer.

@jakartaboy @fj1988 with the PACT law it is illegal to ship smokeless tobacco or cigarettes via mail, full stop. However, the loophole is that there is no provision in the law for it to interfere with international shipping, so long as it is legal to ship tobacco via mail in the country of origin. That’s my understanding anyway. As for why not mexico or puerto rico. Puerto rico is a US territory governed by US federal law. Not sure about mexico, but I’m not sure I would want to be shipping powdered anything from there legal or not.

1 Like

In the USA the PACT Act forbids USPS shipping and requires sellers to remit tobacco taxes for each city, county, state per order. All American sellers couldn’t handle the added paperwork. The law that gives the FDA authority over tobacco products killed most snuff B&M sales as the manufacturer is required to release a complete ingredient list for each recipe.Along with tons of paperwork( expensive and bothersome). Toque was the only snuff manufacturer willing to meet those requirements.  The American scotch snuff guys had no problems as they are owned by huge tobacco. 

3 Likes