Anyone selling Snuff boxes in the UK?

Awesome I never heard of that model

@snufferman I have the time I just don’t have an internet connection good enough for anything but text!

@snuffbox I see. No problem.

@n9inchnails that sounds perfect. I’m going to email Patrick Collins now. Have you any idea about how absorbent the different woods are? Do any of them absorb less smells that others?

deleted post

@Snufferman, I think Padauk is meant to have some properties that make it a good wood for our purposes. Something about not warping much when it absorbs moisture. But I reckon they are all fine, just don’t put snuff in one and leave it for more than a day or two if it’s not a really dry, fine snuff. I wouldn’t use it for moister SWS and Abraxas snuffs, and probably not for Viking Dark, which are the only moister snuffs I use (and they aren’t really that moist). I’ve been keeping Toque Quit in a padauk box and sometimes not finishing it on the same day and it’s been doing fine.

Thanks @basement_shaman.  I dropped him an email.

Mark

Along with what @jakartaboy said (I think he is probably correct) I think teak would be good too. But if you’re going to order from Patrick or any other woodworker, just ask them. They will surely know the answer.

As mentioned above the padauk, teak and cherry are probably the least prone to warping, the hardwoods especially oak are prone to warping in you put in anything but the driest snuffs, I use my oak box for toasts

@n9inchnails, ah, that’s interesting. I always use my zebra wood box for the driest snuffs. I don’t know much about its qualities, whether it’s a hard wood like oak. Are you a woodwork guy? I know there’s some technical term and a way of measuring how much wood is likely to warp with moisture, but I forget what it is. Floorboard websites sometimes have tables of the figures.

My dad is a carpenter so I have some experience with wood.  Actually the zebra wood box doesn’t warp that easily, I use mine for Toque rustica and I often put a moist Tonka bean in and let it sit for a few days to absorb the flavor and the snuff gets pretty moist and it hasn’t warped on me yet.

1 Like

@snufferman my internet should be fixed this week so if you still want pics please say so and I’ll try to have them for you this week.

@snuffbox, I’d love to see you pictures. I could easily buy a few more, when they are available again, your images might inspire me. I like the singles best, these days, although the others are both good. The doubles are pretty cool if, like me, you have two basic daily snuffs. I like the triple tech for the slide opening, but I never used the spoon, because I always have a stainless steel spoon which I like much better.

@jakartaboy ok no problem then. I know sometimes people come and go and didn’t want to take pics and upload them somewhere if the guy who asked for them doesn’t come back to the thread. Hopefully I will have them this week if my internet gets fixed.

Hey some of the best snuff boxes in the world are sold in the UK. A lot really, etsy and ebay both are loaded with them. I wanted to get a triple tech box but they sold out and ended up getting a silver one. I really like silver, a little more than the wood heart wood creations. Just because of the way it looked.

Is a 100 dollar snuffbox better than one that costs 12.50? Probably :wink:

“Is a 100 dollar snuffbox better than one that costs 12.50? Probably”

Highly debatable. A leaky, stiff, dysfunctional box made of silver and ornately decorated, from the Georgian era will probably cost a lot more than a nice, tightly sealed plastic box from Mr Snuff. And I know which one I’m going to keep my snuff in. And it’s not the expensive silver box. Things that are more expensive are more expensive than things that are cheaper. Better things work better than things that don’t work as well.

2 Likes

Agreed. There are many boxes not designed for snuff that people sell as snuffboxes. My point was only in response to the comment above. When you pay more you should expect to get more. Not that you always do. And silver snuff boxes cost more than wood snuff boxes, all other things being equal.

1 Like

@snuffbox I would still really like to see the photos when you can.
Has anyone heard from Patrick? His website is down and I haven’t had a reply to my email or message through here. It’s been over a week.

@snufferman hopefully the phone guy will be here today or tommorrow and i will get the pics for you

Snuffbox1 Snuffbox3

1 Like