Anyone selling Snuff boxes in the UK?

In order to accommodate my snuff sniffing, I dress entirely in black these days.

I use darker snuffs, so snuff dribbles and spills don’t show up on a black shirt after you whisk them away!

@howdydave you could take F&T Princes special and go all brown :wink:

@howdydave you could take F&T Princes special and go all brown :wink:

A fully loaded Patrick Collins single snuff box contains four grams of HDT, I weighed it before and after on some digital scales. I usually carry two of them, one with a White Indian, and one with a nice fine dry English snuff, which sees me through a day easily. They are beautiful, well designed, strong and generally the best thing since unsliced wholemeal bread. Did I already say beautiful? I wouldn’t use them for moist, heavily scented snuffs, although @Basementshaman has pointed out that you can wax the interiors with pipe wax to make them better for such purposes. Frankly, I don’t know why Patrick doesn’t coat the insides with something for exactly that reason, but he’s an artist. He does it the way he does.

1 Like

Does anyone know the reason that http://www.woodensnuffbox.com, Patrick Collins’ webpage has been down?  I know it says a "brief technical interuption.  I just didn’t know if any of you knew him, and knew when his page might be back up?

Thanks,

Mark

@markstinson Does anyone know the reason that http://www.woodensnuffbox.com, Patrick Collins' webpage has been down? I know it says a "brief technical interuption. I just didn't know if any of you knew him, and knew when his page might be back up?
Shoot him an
Email

admin@woodensnuffbox.com

I used one of Patrick’s boxes for some Dholakia Khamal I think it was and if that isn’t heavily scented I don’t know what is. I think it depends on the wood. This one did fine, no traces of the Dholakia after dumping it and wiping it a little with a tissue. Some woods are more porous than others. I got lucky with that one. The snuff was in there for a few years!

@snuffbox
Have you any idea what wood your snuff box is made from? If possible, would you be able to upload a photo?
Thanks

I have 4 of Patricks boxes. One is Walnut, one Teak, one Zebrawood, and one is from a red wood (not Redwood) that I can’t remember the name of. I will try to get a pic somewhere but don’t wait up for me since I’m having computer problems at the moment.

If I can get a pic I’ll also show you the German ones I got because they are better for backhanding.

That would be really great if you have the time.

A Patrick Collins Triple Tech box is what your after that is if you can find one.  They hold about 5 grams and come with a tap out hole, a hidden spoon and a slide top for pinching ( hence the name triple tech because there are 3 ways to snuff from them).  I love em and I have a bunch of them each dedicated to a different style of snuff.  I have a teak, walnut, oak, cherry, zebra wood,  mohagany and a padauk(the red wood one)

Awesome I never heard of that model

@snufferman I have the time I just don’t have an internet connection good enough for anything but text!

@snuffbox I see. No problem.

@n9inchnails that sounds perfect. I’m going to email Patrick Collins now. Have you any idea about how absorbent the different woods are? Do any of them absorb less smells that others?

deleted post

@Snufferman, I think Padauk is meant to have some properties that make it a good wood for our purposes. Something about not warping much when it absorbs moisture. But I reckon they are all fine, just don’t put snuff in one and leave it for more than a day or two if it’s not a really dry, fine snuff. I wouldn’t use it for moister SWS and Abraxas snuffs, and probably not for Viking Dark, which are the only moister snuffs I use (and they aren’t really that moist). I’ve been keeping Toque Quit in a padauk box and sometimes not finishing it on the same day and it’s been doing fine.

Thanks @basement_shaman.  I dropped him an email.

Mark

Along with what @jakartaboy said (I think he is probably correct) I think teak would be good too. But if you’re going to order from Patrick or any other woodworker, just ask them. They will surely know the answer.

As mentioned above the padauk, teak and cherry are probably the least prone to warping, the hardwoods especially oak are prone to warping in you put in anything but the driest snuffs, I use my oak box for toasts

@n9inchnails, ah, that’s interesting. I always use my zebra wood box for the driest snuffs. I don’t know much about its qualities, whether it’s a hard wood like oak. Are you a woodwork guy? I know there’s some technical term and a way of measuring how much wood is likely to warp with moisture, but I forget what it is. Floorboard websites sometimes have tables of the figures.