Anyone selling Snuff boxes in the UK?

Brilliant! Thanks for your help Justin. I am a bit reluctant to order from the US as I am always hit with customs fee and the dreaded handling fee which I think is

You could hack a slide box by drilling a small hole or notch in the end of the slide lid or the cut out in the storage area where the lid covers. 

Or you could get a plastic one like this : https://mrsnuff.com/black-plastic-snuff-p-3513.html 

Welcome to snuffhouse Freddie
<:-P

I have a bunch of Patrick Collins boxes, the kinds with sliding wooden lids. They are beautifully made.

I also have some much larger boxes not as well made but very functional for coarse snuffs that I like backhanding. They were made by a member here Georg around 2008-2010 time frame. I don’t know if he still posts here but some shops did start selling his boxes. I think @nosebag had some for sale.

I think the kind of box that will work for you has to do both with whether you like pinching or backhanding and also the grind. That usually means you should own several for your different grinds and taking preferences.

Unfortunately snuff boxes have become collectibles for people who never use them for what they were made and that has driven up prices on nice using boxes past the point most people can afford them. I have some friends with old and beautiful silver boxes that probably hold 20-25 grams and I have no idea how much they would cost now.

I would be interested in a patrick collins box. Do they come in different sizes? I would prefer something smaller that holds between 5-10g. Any idea of when the website is back?

He used to be a member here named @onefortheroad and shipped his handmade boxes all over the world. They are small. I think they might hold 5 grams but certainly not 10. Probably closer to 3 or 4. You can only carry very little snuff and the boxes are not suitable for coarse grinds. What’s great about the boxes is the craftsmanship. They’re fitted beautifully, the workmanship is superb. He used all sorts of exotic woods and did inlays too.

Honestly they’re not the most practical boxes in the world because of the small size and tight fitting lids. There is a risk of having somebody break the lid if you share your snuff with other people and because the cabinetry is so fine if you don’t know how to open it you may never figure it out. They’re just beautiful artwork. For yourself if you need a small gorgeous box to carry for the day they’ll work.

A plastic smash box is a lot more practical. It depends very much on whether you love crafts and can live with the size and functionality or whether you are more utilitarian and just want something to carry snuff.

See if you can find his mailing address online somewhere and contact him that way if the shop isn’t online. I have no idea what he’s up to these days. He is definitely a good guy and not in it for the money.

The other thing nobody has mentioned is this snuffmaster thingy which appears to be simply a snuffbox that gives metered double doses suitable for backhanding. It is available from Toque and direct from the manufacturer in plastic and aluminum.

I use heartwood wooden snuff boxes with sliding covers all the time!

I just open a slot about half an inch wide, hold it so that the slot is vertically aligned, and use it like a tap box by tapping on the top surface (which is parallel to the floor).

1 Like

In order to accommodate my snuff sniffing, I dress entirely in black these days.

I use darker snuffs, so snuff dribbles and spills don’t show up on a black shirt after you whisk them away!

@howdydave you could take F&T Princes special and go all brown :wink:

@howdydave you could take F&T Princes special and go all brown :wink:

A fully loaded Patrick Collins single snuff box contains four grams of HDT, I weighed it before and after on some digital scales. I usually carry two of them, one with a White Indian, and one with a nice fine dry English snuff, which sees me through a day easily. They are beautiful, well designed, strong and generally the best thing since unsliced wholemeal bread. Did I already say beautiful? I wouldn’t use them for moist, heavily scented snuffs, although @Basementshaman has pointed out that you can wax the interiors with pipe wax to make them better for such purposes. Frankly, I don’t know why Patrick doesn’t coat the insides with something for exactly that reason, but he’s an artist. He does it the way he does.

1 Like

Does anyone know the reason that http://www.woodensnuffbox.com, Patrick Collins’ webpage has been down?  I know it says a "brief technical interuption.  I just didn’t know if any of you knew him, and knew when his page might be back up?

Thanks,

Mark

@markstinson Does anyone know the reason that http://www.woodensnuffbox.com, Patrick Collins' webpage has been down? I know it says a "brief technical interuption. I just didn't know if any of you knew him, and knew when his page might be back up?
Shoot him an
Email

admin@woodensnuffbox.com

I used one of Patrick’s boxes for some Dholakia Khamal I think it was and if that isn’t heavily scented I don’t know what is. I think it depends on the wood. This one did fine, no traces of the Dholakia after dumping it and wiping it a little with a tissue. Some woods are more porous than others. I got lucky with that one. The snuff was in there for a few years!

@snuffbox
Have you any idea what wood your snuff box is made from? If possible, would you be able to upload a photo?
Thanks

I have 4 of Patricks boxes. One is Walnut, one Teak, one Zebrawood, and one is from a red wood (not Redwood) that I can’t remember the name of. I will try to get a pic somewhere but don’t wait up for me since I’m having computer problems at the moment.

If I can get a pic I’ll also show you the German ones I got because they are better for backhanding.

That would be really great if you have the time.

A Patrick Collins Triple Tech box is what your after that is if you can find one.  They hold about 5 grams and come with a tap out hole, a hidden spoon and a slide top for pinching ( hence the name triple tech because there are 3 ways to snuff from them).  I love em and I have a bunch of them each dedicated to a different style of snuff.  I have a teak, walnut, oak, cherry, zebra wood,  mohagany and a padauk(the red wood one)

Awesome I never heard of that model