Origin of the term "Boxcar"?

I did a little bit of searching on the topic, but could not find any information. Do any of you knowledgable folks know the origin of the term “boxcar” method? Guesses and completely fictional, but funny, answers are acceptable. :slight_smile: Mark

My guess would be that it came from Whalen because that’s how he takes snuff from his boxcar crammed full of original FUBAR Grunt 

LOL.  I was mainly taking snuff off the back of my hand and from a spoon, and I could not figure out how some of you guys go through so much snuff.  Then I tried the boxcar method, and it is crazy how much snuff you can take that way.

It just seems like such a strange term.  “Boxcar.”

Mark

@n9inchnails Ooo I love original Fubar Grunt. I will have to pay it a visit. My days are numbered and I can’t take it with me. 8-X

From Wikipedia ."The boxcar, while not the simplest freight car design, is probably the most versatile, since it can carry most loads. "  As with the snuff boxcar you can fit piles of snuff; and find i have better control. And it is cleaner on humid days, snuff don’t stick to your thumbnail.

I’ve used back of hand but never the anatomical snuffbox that just seem awkward.   
B-)

O.K…now that makes sense.

I like the boxcar for the courser, moister snuffs.  But, I haven’t mastered using it for the fine dry snuff yet.  It will be fun working on it though.  

:slight_smile:

Mark

would one`of you please define the term? Thank you.

Wrap your index finger around the tip of your thumb so that it forms a vessel (“boxcar”). Pour snuff on your fingernail, bring to your nostril and sniff.

1 Like

Based on some of the usage around here, I think at least a few members also purchase via the boxcar method …   :wink:

2 Likes

Jari_T many thanks! most helpful!

To me, besides how the index and thumb do make a “box”, I can also see the link ‘hook up’ used to connect freight car to freight car.

Kind of a stretch and not the proper definition, but I read that example a whille ago on this site and it stuck with me. 

1 Like

Hey, that hook thing etymology makes actually a lot of sense.

Yeah…that is sort of something that once you see it, you always see it that way now. I completely see the boxcar hook up thing now. Thanks…

The things that hook boxcars together are called knuckles… Makes ya wonder

1 Like

I just like the visual of a tiny train car full of snuff going up my nose :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Don’t know where the term originated but I’ve just tried this method for the first time. I’ve managed to shove 4 times my usual dose of White Elephant up one hooter in one hit without any pain! Dunno how that works but I’m not complaining.

1 Like

Remembering back, I first heard of the term Boxcar method from @howdydave maybe he can shed some history on the subject.

I had wondered about this myself. I had to do a search to find out what a “real” boxcar was over there. :">