Gold Label ?

I thought I read somewhere that the Gold Label snuff was a special Virginia tobacco blend. I have it on my “look into” list for this reason. Not sure here hence the need for looking into. If anyone already has this information I’d be much obliged to have it.

1 Like

yes i believe it is an amercan tobacco blend.

okay on further study of this one i think the overall flavor (dusty) is posibly due to being old stale stock or something along those lines. Or maybe thats just how it is which would be a shame because i was hoping to find an american toabacco based snuff that is not a scotch that i could enjoy.

In that same vain I have been thinking of grinding up some Sam Gawith full virginia flake. It is a wonderful sweet pipe tobacco. In the next month or 2, I am going to get a snuff mill and try grinding some of the pipe tobaccos I like to smoke.

Thanks Joshua…It’s now on the “do try” list. Grinding my own is on the list too but that can wait 'till the recession is in full effect.

I’m gonna check e-bay now for snuff mills.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Gold label is actually my favorite WoS snuff I’ve tried. Not too finely ground, wonderful scent, nice golden color. I’ve experienced none of this ‘dustiness’ that’s been spoken of.

Good morning SaucyJ This is a good thread to breath new life into. In total agreement with you regarding the Gold Label. One of my 1st snuff orders, perhaps second, included a 10g of Gold Label. Suited me so well I picked up a 1/2 drum. Medium to fine grind, moist and I can use this one all day with nothing to show for it other than a smile and contentment. Perhaps there had been a change in the mill since the OP’s dusty round?

I have two tins. One is excellent, one is dusty.

@Xander Damn the dusty one!

Not had a tin of “dusty” Gold Label myself. Medium grind and moistness, deep golden brown, whiff of ammonia, bergamot and the merest hint of rose, and a good tobacco flavour. Reminds me of Mullins & Westley Mature Crumbled.

If you look at the labels on the Gold Label, I think you will see a difference. If I remember right, the good one has something like "made in UK"on one side and “est 1737” or some such on the other, and the other doesn’t. It just has “est 1737” centered on the label. I think We had a big thread about that a few months ago. Yes, I just looked. The thread was called “Two WOS Gold Labels?”, but I don’t know how to make a link.

I think one tin is just old. It wasn’t bad, just paled in comparison to the fresher one. Its about half gone now. I’ll drop it into the pass box.

This happened to me with a tin of Grand Cairo. Every tin has been a wonderful delight of citrus SP pleasure aside from my last one which was somewhat dusty. Unfortunately, its looking like WoS selections are becoming more and more rare for us US consumers. Some sites still have the 25g tins available but my attempts at buying directly from WoS have proven frustrating and unpromising so far. It is easier and cheaper to buy illegal cannabis where I live than to purchase fresh WoS snuff.

To buy Wilsons from the U.S. you have to mail them a cheque for the required amount plus a $6 handling fee. It’s hardly rocket science.

BM, can’t you email the cheque? So much faster!!!

Brad, please see my post on the problems I am having with WoS direct buys. Even rocket science cannot solve indifference and lack of e-mail response regarding billing.

@Spyro: The reason you cannot find WoS snuffs at the US vendors (Now UK vendors) is because they are trying to liquidate their stock to make the move easier and albeit cheaper. Soon enough there will be WoS fresh stock available again.

Yes, I had problems placing an order, yes I had to send a Check, and yes I received prompt Email responses, and yes the snuff is so fresh it makes me wag my tail. The whole problem would disappear if the Credit card would work. It can be done, and Carol is on vacation this week from the Mill. Persistence. This was my most complex purchase, also my most satisfying.