The Gardening Thread

@cpmcdill You should get a goat or sheep. I have a pony but she is 30 and refined to her paddock. Restricted diet for hoof issues. After she passes I may get a buffalo to cut the grass

Coincidentally, a friend of mine just today informed me that his goats have had babies. I think I might eventually consider goats, but I don’t have a proper shelter set up for them. There is an outbuilding that once housed a couple cows, but it’s in rough shape and will need some work, but that is a project for another year.

Any tips for newbee trying my green finger at growing Rustica seeds? Planning to use large pots to control moisture, Sun delivery and pests.

Flowers in my yard 1 hawthorn 2 nectarine 3 tulip 4 double daffodil 5 azaleas 6 lilac 7 dandelion 8 apple 9 Pear 10 strawberry. They were here just 3 days ago most are gone now also more apple blossoms pics but i can’t tell them apart so I didn’t post.

@basement_shaman - reminds me, I should probably document what’s going on in my garden.

@cpmcdill Well this is the Gardening thread, although I also post in what you up to today beside reading this. I’ll be out back till it gets too warm. So much to do. And I am not as spry anymore

Anyone into cloning. Of course garlic is easy just plant the cloves, I’ve used Onion roots, carrot tops,the core from cabbage, the bottom of celery, eyes from potatoes all scraps from the kitchen with good success. Clipping are harder but not impossible.

Never tried to be honest. I go the easier (but more expensive) way of using seeds and store bought plants. One reason is that much of the commercial produce isn’t suitable for growing in this climate. I was tempted to try garlic, sweet potato, and a couple of other things but when I researched it, I discovered I’d have to buy specific plant varieties to achieve any success, and this defeated the purpose of the exercise. This is one of the reasons I moved away from veg in favour of foods I cannot buy in the shops, or which are relatively expensive (fruits and exotic/non-commercial crops). With such a small North facing garden, the climate here, and growing in containers, I have to be very selective with my choices

Just planted 2 gooseberry and 2 blueberry bushes in pots (as we will be moving in a couple years and want to take ‘the goods’ with us. Also set down a row of raspberries that were given to me. Harvested rhubarb last evening. many more things to plant, pull, Clean, etc. LOVE this stuff!!

@stogie I have everything in pots. Watering is a PITA, but the ability to shuffle round, add, subtract, respace, reformat, really is a benefit in my small garden. I nearly went for a gooseberry a couple of weeks back, but opted for a thornless blackberry instead. You’ll have to figure out the picture posting, I’d love to see what you got over there :wink:

Cut more asparagus , put a new carburetor on my tiller now I need new fuel line.

Rotated compost and stacked firewood.

Filled Two huge planting pots (4 feet tall and ~22 inches at top - Clay with a blue glaze on outside. Bought them last fall for $20

Filled Two huge planting pots (4 feet tall and ~22 inches at top - Clay with a blue glaze on outside. Bought them last fall for $20

That saves your back from pulling weeds. also keeps groundhogs and rabbits out. Talking furry creatures. I think a skunk decided to move in under my shed.

Bargain!!! I wish I could find deals like that

Desided to transplant three blueberry plants that do not like to produce berry. To close to a big cedar tree. I may replant them out by the road as many people walk by. I know if they will produce the neighbor kids will pick them. I get plenty for my family from the other 14 that are in the yard.

No grass cutting for me today, kids are doing it for me! Trim limbs and having them burn them too. Wow, feels like a pre fathers day!

Another busy day today. Laid a couple of flags as stepping stones into the back corner, spread more bark chippings all round the scabby area, finished off topping off the fruit tree planters with fabric and white pebbles, finished emptying the crappy strawberry planters of compost and disposed of them, deadheaded a few of the flowers, cleared up all the general crap (old netting, plant labels, plant pots etc), transferred some bulbs into a larger pot with perennials either side, weeded watered and fed, shuffled some pots and planters round to better suit this years scheme. One more day like today, and I should be set and ready for the year ahead

Planted the first two of what I intend to make an orchard of 6 Bartlett Pears. I don’t eat a lot of pears, but I like pear trees, so maybe when they mature I’ll see about making some kind of cider with them.

Hilled up the potatoes, mulched the onions and celery.

I’m expanding my large tobacco bed and it’s pretty slow going. It’s a holiday tomorrow so I hope to get it done by the end of the long weekend. This is traditionally the weekend we plant gardens in my area but the temperature is set to drop this week with a low of 2C Tuesday night. I’ll hold off planting for a week or two. @cpmcdill I have a buddy with a huge canning pear tree. I’ve made cider from it a couple of times and it makes a nice refreshing drink.