What was your first snuff?

gallahers wit and wisdom

Count Murari was my very first snuff, done at the insistence of a friend and fellow pipe smoker with whom I worked in a tobacco shop at the time. It was also easily the most expensive snuff I have encountered, especially given that it was 7 dollars for 5 grams back in the early to mid 1980s. See the link below: http://www.snuffhouse.org/discussion/9080/count-murari-the-worlds-most-expensive-snuff#latest

Poschl - Gawith Apricot

I think it was Medicated No. 99 that my friend brought to a pub and forced me to try it.

SG Elmo’s Reserve, late last year =)

Far too many years ago to remember - it came from a colleague at work and I then went to F&T in the Haymarket and purchased a tin of Dr J R Justice. Coming back to snuff in 2012 I bought 4 tins of snuff locally and went through them in order - giving my nose a break in between. So it was Poschl Gawith Apricot, Toque SP Extra and Gawith English Rose. Unfortunately the fourth tin that was WoS Best Dark turned out to be rusted through so I never tried it.

I ordered a few tins I don’t remember which ones but one of them was F&T HDT and that is what made me fall in love with snuff

Mc chrystals s.snuff

Pöschls Gawith Apricot

Hedges L260 back in the 90’s

Navy Plain back in the late 80’s. Lasted 2 pinches, dumped the can. Next try was 2009. Toque Pomegranate. Still a favorite and I officially call that my first (real) snuff.

Royal George Oct 2010. Just decided this particular day I’d go and try to get some snuff. Went to local tobacconist, asked if he had some. He said yes and named a few WOS sorts. Picked royal george as it had an interesting name. Wasn’t too keen really. Didn’t stop me going back for rose and lemon toast though. The rest is history.

WE Garrett sweet

Brand new user here: First Snuff is Silver Dollar Cherry.

Dr. Rumney’s Mentholyptus in the those useless hinged half ounce tins. Around 1972. A few years later I went to Dean Swift Bezoar Fine Grind. A few years later it was G. Smith’s Cafe Royal and HDT.

1 Like

I was gifted some SG Apricot to try by a friend on a pipe forum. I LOVED the stuff. That was then…I don’t much care for that particular snuff these days, but it was enough to get me to dive headfirst into a new rabbit hole!

W.E. Garrett scotch. It was like gunpowder, and I was hooked.

Levi Garrett, from the little brown bottle that Grandpa kept on the top shelf of the big kitchen cabinet, to keep is kids out of it! :slight_smile: Grandpa’s “Sunday bottle:”, he chewed all week long, but before Church on Sunday he’d slip the little brown bottle into his pocket on the way out the door. Regards,

1 Like

W.E. Garret Sweet and Ozona Raspberry… I think, it was 1996 I could be wrong about the Ozona brand, but I clearly remember the Sweet (though I thought it was Levi Garret, but must be remembering it wrong) and a Raspberry tap box.

Dr Rumney’s Metholyptus 1985. Bought it at the mall at age 14 :slight_smile: