F&T Patchouli - something wrong?

You are lucky when your snuff is fresh. Only air out what you can use up in a couple days.

Thanks for the advice. After airing the smell of ammonia disappeared but the scent in my nose is that of a industrial grade cleaner. Had experienced friends try it and they found it foul. Into the garbage it goes. Based on what you wrote this was just a bad batch.

Patchouli is the only F&T i dont like. A cross between sump oil and ground up ants. But i dont bin anything. I paid for it so i will bloody well use it. Often times i dont mind it by the end. This has worked with the 8 tubs of 6 photo i got in pot luck (thought it was awful at first). I dont love it now, but its ok, which is good as i still have 7 1/2 to go.

@asieg33 don’t throw it out. If you don’t like it after a while put it on the b/s/t/ thread at least.

Patchouli is the only F&T i dont like. A cross between sump oil and ground up ants. But i dont bin anything. I paid for it so i will bloody well use it. Often times i dont mind it by the end. This has worked with the 8 tubs of 6 photo i got in pot luck (thought it was awful at first). I dont love it now, but its ok, which is good as i still have 7 1/2 to go.

so basically what you’re saying is that the label is accurate?

It’s taken me a few weeks to get used to my tin of F&T Old Paris. I was expecting to need to air it for a while, but it’s only now that the true scent is coming out, and I like it. Persevere with it.

After weeks of drying it was flushed. I think this tin was just bad. Alligators and snakes fled the sewer system with running nostrils.

1 Like

Patchouli is the only F&T i dont like.

You’re not alone. The irony is, this was about the last sort ever to be created in the cellar of 34 Haymarket - apparently in honour of the 1960s ladies of whom it reminds some gentlemen users. I still like the aroma on a certain kind of woman - but this one really doesn’t work for me as a snuff. OTOH I love F&T Bureau, one of their oldest sorts, reintroduced by Wilsons at the same time as Patchouli.

Honestly one of the 5 or so I DO like. Can’t do Bordeaux or Macouba(sp?) at all, not to say that I won’t like Molen’s Macouba, though…

I like it quite well, but only about three times a year. It sure does bring me back to the days of psychedelia!

I heard most F&T snuffs should be diluted with a plain snuff [except HDT] That one is perfect on it’s own !

I believe @basement_shaman is is right. I always dilute my f&t (except santo domingo) by at least 4:1 with a plain snuff like quit or viking dark/brown/thor’s.

Heh:

A cross between sump oil and ground up ants.

I haven’t tried F&T Patchouli yet, but I’m interested how does it compare to Dholakia Taj (which I really like). Anyone here had both?

I keep a tin of patchouli in the bathroom and use a spoonful almost every day out of the shower. It is the only F&T that I like, I have the HDT but it doesnt really move me, like everyone else. I also had a tin of the Princes but it smelled so much like copnehagen, snorting it almost made me feel sick because it felt like snorting dip.

Maybe I’m just strange but this post has made me want to try this snuff… I love patchouli.

Here we are years later. I dig this snuff. I’m on my second tin of it. It’s stronger nicotine wise than I remember my first tin being. Sharrow Mills lists the nic rating as a 5, their highest rating. I once took a bump of this stuff and half an hour later i walked into a room and overheard someone say, “who’s wearing patchouli?” I don’t get ammonia from my tin, but the patchouli is being hidden by the freshness, but it’ll come out over time. This isn’t an all day snuff, but I bring it out often enough.

1 Like

I enjoy the F&T Patch. Easier for me to warm up to than the other perfumed F&Ts I have. The grind is nice and I don’t find the aroma at all ‘indistrial’ like the OP. The aroma itself I find similar to a wood resin, and reminiscent of sharpened pencils. I like it better than the Patchouli stuff as I vaguely recall it from those college years

1 Like

there are a couple ways to make patchouli oil and the difference in quality is pretty gosh dern vast.

2 Likes

@bob to that point I do believe the F&T Patch is lacking in some of the profile of the patchouli perfumes and incense. To me it doesn’t smell like a “head shop.” I’d only consider using the stuff at night when the kids are in bed if that was the case :smiley:

1 Like

although I hate that snuff. I’d seriously consider if I should quite snuffing if it was the only snuff.  It does use the quality stuff I just don’t like how it mixes with the tobacco they use. It reminds me of the one that is used in the kind of expensive perfumes you’d complain about your girlfriend buying if she didn’t tell you that you have to add at least three or four more tins to that pipe tobacco order.