Anybody Nostalgic?

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one that still likes the past… I guess we could start doing the “I remember when” but I don’t know if there is enough space to type :slight_smile: @perique‌, I had seen a member of a outdoors forum making the buck saws and charging well over $100.00 for them… I thought to my self, “I can make one as nice and a whole lot cheaper”… It’s about $12.00 in material… And thank you for the complements…

I live in a century old house, decorate with antiques, listen to 50s-70s vinyl LPs and 20s-30s 78s, have a big library of out-of-print and antiquarian books. When possible I prefer to buy things vintage and 2nd hand. I enjoy bygone activities like porch sitting, reading old books, gardening and pipe smoking. I don’t watch TV, due to an intense dislike of commercials, Sometimes I flip to a different mode and listen to cutting edge electronica like dubstep, or watch blockbuster CGI movies in the sci-fi or superhero genres. But then again I suppose futurism is the other side of the nostalgia coin. Over the decades I’ve seen a lot of good things go away, and I feel that much of the character of the past has been replaced by a certain sterile homogeneity, especially in the cities and suburbs. On the other hand, for all that, I do recognize that new ways often render old ways obsolete. The automobile put the buggy whip makers out of business, right? The internet created global connectivity, resulting in new possibilities, like the Snuffhouse community and all of the sharing of information and resultant renaissance for a mode of tobacco consumption that was dying out. Back to the topic of books and records. I am pleased to see a growing backlash against the eReaders and iPods. Reading a printed book is a different experience than staring at a glowing screen. Sure, its nice that you can put the entire literary canon on a flash drive, but will you read it? And will you treasure a pdf file the way you might treasure a well-rubbed volume of Moby Dick? A book is more than just a sequence of words. Touch and smell and the sound of rustling pages, and the care taken to not overbend the spine. These things are important, and they are denied the generation raised to read books on smartphones or tablets. Listening to records is also a sensual process different from the cold perfection of the CD or the deletable ephemerality of the mp3. In the past, people listened to records the way the producer intended. Side one, flip, side two. No shuffling or skipping. The warm crackle of the vinyl, cover art big enough to actually appreciate. People actually used to put a record on and just sit and listen. And then play it again. Don’t get me wrong though. I like mp3s. I have recorded over 50 albums which are only available as internet downloads. Some day though, I’d like to take the best of it and have it remastered and pressed to vinyl.

Some of the “good old days” we will remember are happening now.

Yes. Still spinning my old vinyl collection, painting with a brush on canvas, sketching and writing with a pen and ink, and smoking my dad’s pipe. I like the scritch scratch of working on paper and all the rub outs just add character. I’m just old enough to have practiced penmanship in early school. Have been collecting music of all eras from the 20s to now but I am especially mad about old time radio and music from the 20s and 30s. I have my grandfather’s 78s and 33s and always on the lookout in the antique malls for a deal on old records. I have CDs and mp3s too but there is just something about records. The old music sounds better on vinyl. Every song takes me to a time and place and sometimes even a feeling about a place and time I was never in. Odd that. I’m nostalgic and kind of a sap really. Miss the old book shops and cafe culture, life before texting. Sometimes I feel old before my time but I’m okay with it.

@cpmcdill‌ Me too. My property was designed by Sir Robert Smirke in 1820. He built in the Greek Revival style & also designed the main facade of the British museum. I like old property, but they can be pretty drafty & cold in Winter.

Wow, that’s gorgeous. I agree about the draftiness. Not easy to efficiently heat, also, not easy to insure. I have found that most homeowner insurance companies won’t touch anything over a century. At least in the US. Might be different in the UK/EU countries where older structures abound. The house I live in is allegedly a kit house from the Sears catalog circa 1914, though I opine that it is a kit house from a different company. Nevertheless it does show traits of definitely being a kit. Classic American Four-Square farmhouse, with precision-cut beams and studs. Last major renovations in the mid-1950s.

@lunecat‌, very beautiful home… I’m envious :slight_smile:

@lunecat, so is that house all on a single story, as it appears in the picture, or at least a cellar?

It was once owned by an Earl, who was also a Conservative Prime Minister of Britain.

Edward Smith-Stanley, Earl of Derby, by any chance?

Ohh I’m not sure if my tastes could be called nostalgia, since I’m only 25 but, vinyl, straight razors, old cars and I am violently opposed to over-produced CD’s…cold perfection is far from what I’d use to describe your average CD. I also use a tube amp, Love the warmth they bring to the sound. And I use snuff in public…I guess I’m just different, not nostalgic. However I could never give up my modern computer or my smartphone for directions hehe I’d feel lost and would lose multiple hours every day waiting for the wrong bus and all that. I’d also be lost without modern fabrics that shed moisture and keep you dry or plenty aerated during summer time :stuck_out_tongue:

I have my grandfather’s 78s and 33s and always on the lookout in the antique malls for a deal on old records.

My computer is so old it has a slot for burning 78’s…

However I could never give up my modern computer or my

That’s what maps are for :slight_smile:

I have my grandfather’s 78s and 33s and always on the lookout in the antique malls for a deal on old records.

My computer is so old it has a slot for burning 78’s…

Now that’s old :slight_smile:

I need a new pack of matches to stop my 8 track from skipping

Back in the day; a CB radio was social networking. Base stations at home with massive antenna strapped to the chimney and mobile units that had 23 channels in the car with 101 inch whip bolted to the bumper. Talk was cheap ,no cell phone plan required. You didn’t go to the store for milk it was delivered to your front door. Charles Chips also delivered your favorite junk food. Gas stations pumped your gas ,checked your oil, tire pressure and washed your windshield ,Service with a smile.

My dad use to flick me a quarter and send me to the Barber Shop and tell me to ask for a “30 day” haircut…

Gas stations pumped your gas ,checked your oil, tire pressure and washed your windshield ,Service with a smile.

I use to be one of those people that had that task @basement_shaman‌

I’m some what nostalgic, being 57 I remember the change over from fountain pens (I use a fountain pen at times) the switch over from DE safety razors (I use a DE), but when I’m in a hurry I will use a trac II which is what I learned to shave on. Though no matter how much in a hurry I use a mug, soap, and a brush, which is also what I learned to shave on. I also have used a pocket watch for most of my life (still have the one from when I was 10) and a straight razor at times. The pocket watches and straight razors are of course before my time.

I remember going to the movies - in the theatre - 15 cents for kids and a quarter for adults. We would still take in our own goodies because the admission was so darn steep…

hippy daze

My dad use to flick me a quarter and send me to the Barber Shop and tell me to ask for a “30 day” haircut…

What is that? Bald?