Anyone NOT like High Dry Toast?

I do not like F&T HDT, I love it !!! :smiley:

1 Like

F&T HDT is the snuff of the Gods. Second only to Viking Dark in my current Pantheon of Snuff.

1 Like

What’s the weird Wilsons toast? I think it’s No. 20 Very underrated snuff. Super earthy, not like any other toast, not very toasty at all really just dryish fineish and plain but a really great tobacco blend.

1 Like

I believe HDT is a staple not just among toasts, but snuff itself. I discovered it early on in my time as a snuffer. I was told to stay away from toasts, but it was the first one I really tried. I have no regrets. And the nicotine? It really speaks for itself.

1 Like

F&T HDT was my first love

1 Like

Only experience with Toast made me toss it away. Not for me.

2 Likes

I prefer SG Irish D Light to HDT or IHT, and I used to be able to take them ok, but now snuff has opened my airways unless I’m careful they all make me cough!

1 Like

Wouldn’t say I’d enthuse about HDT but when it slips out of my rotation I find myself wishing I had it around.

I’ve probably done 3 grams in less than 24 hours. For me that’s huge.

@Jari_T I agree with you, partially at least. HDT has that unique I don’t know what that makes it stand out. Some non-snuffy friends who like menthol snuffs for the refreshment said of HDT that it was “like taking a nostril full of sawdust”, and I couldn’t understand them. However, when I tried Irish D Light, the woody character stood out more prominently. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a good occasional snuff, but it’s not the same as HDT, which I think is currently the best snuff on the Wilsons’ roster. @Idbowman I understand you very well: there’s no plain snuff like these two.

F&T HDT. My first toast, and it damn near killed me the first time. Once I figured it out; short, shallow, sharp sniffs after a deep breath…heaven. Once I got the hang of getting it in just far enough, and no further, the sneezing, coughing and other shenanigans stopped. With a few tins under my belt I found that really large spoonfuls, sniffed in a shallow, gentle manner worked best. Counterintuitive I know, but it worked, and still works, for me at least. I’ve been out for a few weeks, but check the mailbox daily waiting for my order.

1 Like

I find nothing special about it. Sorry, it kind of reminds me of how bland most food is with out garlic and cayenne. Yep, I just did some. You can curse me out if you want, but it feels like WE garret Scotch. Except, pleasant. Don’t get me wrong I don’t dislike it, I gave the Garret away, but I probably wont buy it again. However, I mostly use moist, coarse snuff in general. I only use dry snuff if my face gets clogged or for runny noses.

@coreymillia‌, I’ve never tried the Garret. But there is certainly some kind of relationship between Swisher Square and HDT, like cousins. But I think Swisher is great! So for me, that’s a GOOD thing.

I recently sampled GH Irish D, and to me it resembles strongly to a sweet scotch I´ve tried before (possibly Devoe´s Eagle mills without edulcorants). So similar I´d say they both are the same if I were blinded…

I really enjoy toasts but for me HDT is not the grail. Now I like it well enough but there are quite a few others that I like more. SG, Wilson’s, Toque, SWS, and OM all have at least one in each respectives lineup that I prefer to HDT. If it were the only toast available I would use it regularly but that is not the case.

I feel this is a bit like swearing in church, but the last couple of tins with HDT has left me more than a bit underwhelmed; the buttery nutiness aroma has been lacking in all of them. Got a 50g tin in the mail yesterday and got dissapointed once again. Anyone else having this experience?

@havregryn Yes I did, but I had been using Dholakia White for 5 or 6 days. I believe that was the cause . I was desensitized to normal snuff. Now I try to practice a spirit or rotation; it is easy to get caught up with favorite snuffs. When I do revisit old favorites, I experience more enjoyment than remembered.

@havregryn Me: the last two tins I purchased seamed not to be the same exact snuff I’ve discovered and loved so well. However, after thorough airing and about two months of rest from it, I found I’m in love again… but I believe it DEFINITELY has some very different characteristics, and it’s still not as buttery/scorched as I remember my first tin to be. Batch differences I supposed, probably caused by something that falls out of Wilson’s control, mixed with the evolution of my nose and the exposition to other snuffs, as @basement_shaman has pointed out.

but I believe it DEFINITELY has some very different characteristics, and it’s still not as buttery/scorched as I remember my first tin to be. Batch differences I supposed, probably caused by something that falls out of Wilson’s control, mixed with the evolution of my nose and the exposition to other snuffs, as @basement_shaman has pointed out.

Yes, this is exactly what I get as well, something happened and it’s not what it used to be. But it’s still great toast, it might just be that it’s just not toasted as much as it was in previous batches?

@havregryn That’s what I initially thought, because I found the presence of ammonia on the newer tins somewhat strange having account of the toasting process and dryness level… but I initially discarded such option because having known just a couple of batches I can’t really compare: perhaps the other had been sitting on a storage room for ages and its flavor developed, perhaps the next tobacco crop was of a different quality or matured at a slightly different time of the year, or perhaps, as I said, my nose has changed on presence of the regular use of other snuffs (notably, Viking Dark, with similar tobacco fragrance notes yet a significantly smokier character). I just don’t know what to think, specially not being alone on these thoughts, but I’ve just had a pinch of this “new” HDT and it felt quite well.