SG's finest snuffs

Thumbs up for : Elmo’s KB orig. ??? for: C. Talisman. Much too heavily scented for my nose. Makes a good mix with Princes though.

i am in the “love” SG Irish D Light … as far as any of their scented, specifically Almond, as it compares to Toque, no contest … Toque wins. Also, for all of SG’s fruity and scents, to this nose, they always seem plastic-y and fake. My two cents isn’t worth a penny … but that’s my take. Cheers. :wink:

Irish D light is a classic toast. The most authentic per Prof. Griffiths. Not to disrespect the other toasts. Myself I prefer No. 22 but also have a supply of Irish D Light and would like to try them all.

Wish i’d read this before my most recent snuff order, although I am gratified to see many of my own favorites included on the list for the same reasons. I have not yet tried the Irish D-Light; the tin in fact, waits about 16" from my left hand as I type this. I hate to read that it and the Red Crest I bought (but have not yet sampled) are “mediocre” to his view. Regarding SG Fruits: Plum suffers from the same malady as every SG fruit-scented snuff I’ve sampled. One can smell the chemistry set with every pinch. The Plum is only marginally better than the others, but the C. Talisman even suffers from it, and the Banana is so rife with chemistry that the scent never improves nor becomes natural in any way. Horrible. I believe, as is true with every snuffmaker, Gawith’s has strengths and weaknesses. I love all the Kendall’s I’ve tried, including Elmo’s. I liked the Blue Crest albeit an unremarkable snuff. I’ve little exposure to their SP range. Thanks for the list and for suffering this rambling comment.

SG makes so many different snuffs that it is impossible for me to pick a favorite. I have tried 25+ of them and ATM Irish D, CCC, Vanilla, and Scotch Black would be my most used. The fruity ones do have a strange bit of scent to them but they can be quite good if I am in the mood for them. The texture, grind, and moisture set SG apart from other snuff makers and that is part of there charm to me. When I got my first baggie of Cafe Noire from Snuffstore I knew right off who was making it. I am really sad because I heard Toque was running them out of business.

Naughty Toque! :-q If that is true, and I have my doubts, I hope it encourages SG to up their game and release new high quality snuffs. Their fruit snuffs suck, they should reinvent them. I would also like them to create new snuffs using their coarse, dark, moist flours. That is their strength. The Viking range are new and they’re great snuffs, esp the Dark, so they can compete if the will is there.

Amen +++ What SG does well they do with virtuosity. The disappointments have been few. Frankly, I get better persistence of scent with Samuel Gawith in general than I do with Toque. I’ve also come to love Gawith’s use of the vaccuum tins. I tend to buy snuff in large varieties and sometimes need to hoard them (LOL) for a couple years. I also have discovered the joy of a good KB, rape’ and many of their other “unperfumed” snuffs. I do hope they can compete.

To echo the good and great Uncle Squinty, what they do well the do very, very well - London Brown/Black Rappee, and the Vikings are all excellent beyond measure. For reasons I haven’t nailed down, I’m FAR less prone to clogging up with SG than with Toque or WoS, regardless of scent, mill, or base tobacco, so I naturally incline towards the SG line more often than others. Generally, I’ve never enjoyed their fruit snuffs, although I haven’t tried the Plum yet (it’s “in the basket” for my next MrSnuff order).

I find the Plum to be OK. But if you are expecting that really smells like plums you will be disappointed. To me it is much more plum skins than the fruit itself. But I like it…

KB Original, Back Coffee, Viking dark,Elmo’s reserve. All the above are very good winter snuffs with exceptional base tobaccos.

I’ll also give an honorable mention to Irish D Light

Black Coffee The Three Crests, unscented London Brown Black Rappee Scotch Black McCombie (RIP) The Kendal Browns, especially the Plain

Dragging this back up to comment on the SG Plum…I finally ordered it and am woefully unimpressed. I’m finding the chemical-ness overwhelming, nearly as much as with the banana. I was hopeful to find an SG fruit that I could enjoy, but that seems to have been a monstrous flop. File it as “live and learn,” I suppose.

@idbowman‌ Likewise. I tried all of the fruit and nut SG’s and hated them for the same reason you mentioned. When I’m feeling like fruit I go with Toque. When I want nuts I go with mine. Please note I didn’t say when I was feeling fruity or nuts, lest I open myself up for derision, no matter how well deserved. My personal snuffs, not released to the public, are _ Reprobate _, Miscreant and _ Lowlife Scumbag _. =))

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t. @chefdaniel‌ are you sure there can’t be a special limited release? Specifically, reprobate and lowlife scumbag sound right up my alley.

@SandwhichIsles‌ There is an off chance of limited release of all three once I have them perfected. I’ll keep ya’ll posted on progress.

@chefdaniel, please add me to the you=probably-won’t-get-any-but-if-I-do-release-them-then-maybe list for Reprobate, Miscreant and Lowlife Scumbag

@Mouse Consider it done, done and done.

I have long had a love affair with their Wild Duck. I do like their Kendal Browns, especially the Original. I like the Black Coffee too. I’ve not tried any of their fruit flavored snuffs, and now I don’t guess I will!

Their Elmos’s Reserve was my first introduction to snuff. I have found that SG seem to have a distinct smell to them, I’m not 100% sure what that is and that could be my inexperience. I was initially put off trying it altogether due to the smell but went for it all the same. I was impressed and I find it a delight. The greatest thing of all is I live all of 30-40 minutes away from Kendal, which is where they are based. Perhaps I should pay them a visit?!