Hermbstedt's Brasil and more

We (the foundation) are proud to announce that on the request and with the cooperation of Filek we have revived an historical Polish snuff: Hembstedt’s Brasil. It is a Virgina tobacco fermented with salt, potash and cinnamon water. And at the insistence of Filek we went further and flavoured the Hembstedt’s Brasil with a Kashubian sauce. The sauce contains mocca extract and Peruvian balsam. So we have added 2 more snuffs to range of the Kralingse molens Jaap Bes.

1 Like

I can’t wait to try it!

1 Like

To give the historical aspect of this snuff, the Hermbstedt’s recipe for the Brasil was found in a Polish magazine for rural population from 1821 - being a reprint from dr Hermbstedt’s book in German. It’s actually a type of snuff called “false Brasil”, since there’s no Brasil tobacco in it. But the recipe is brilliant, since thanks to Jaap and the millers of Rotterdam, we can now try something that smells like a long forgotten Brasil snuff - of the best quality - called ‘legitimo’. What goes for the Kashubian sauce, it’s from an etnographic work from 1835. Feel the first half of the nineteenth century. Priceless.

2 Likes

exciting news! I hope Dave has ordered some for the mistersnuff store.

1 Like

It’s such an exciting news and both the snuffs are so fantastic, that all the members of the Polish forum, just can’t wait to try it. As you guys, we are waiting for our own Mr Snuff to handle that situation and save our noses.

1 Like

Def. will be trying this. Can’t wait.

1 Like

I tried some of the polish snuff with Kashubian sauce, very nice warm scent. I think I will also try the one without Kashubian sauce. I understand it is a farmer’s origin snuff? Is snuff still much used now in Kashubia and how was our Molen’s snuff received?

1 Like

It’s on my next order.

1 Like

@Salmiak: About the origin of this snuff see above in this thread. By the end of last year we had bad luck as the batches was to early on the market and got mouldy. I think we have solved the problem by now. Jaap Bes.

1 Like

In my cart. Only one left to go on Mr. Snuff: FCV (Flue Cured Virginia) The. Best. Plain. That isn’t the least bit plain. It’s a wonderful example of how eloquent simplicity can be. “Brevity is the Soul of Wit” Polonius: My liege, and madam, to expostulate What majesty should be, what duty is, What day is day, night night, and time is time, Were nothing but to waste night, day, and time; Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit, And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes, I will be brief. Your noble son is mad. . . . Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 86–92

2 Likes

A cold beer, a warm spoon and some Lundy foot… :slight_smile:

@Derek_007‌ Great minds do think alike. Ditto for me. Enough KB has passed these nostrils to last a good while. Time to take a break and load up on the finest toast snuff ever made. The beer is a homemade coffee stout from a friend. Not too cold, but gives Sir Johnny’s masterpiece a nice counterpoint.

Good news for those who loved Molens Hermbstedt’s Brasil with Kashubian sauce and are saddened by the discontinuation - there’s a good substitute:

Rosinski Oderlander.

As far as I understand (although technically a shmalzler), it qualifies as “false Brasil”, too. There’s the same key flavour used in this Rosinski snuff - the Balsam of Peru (please correct me, if I am wrong), which dominates over the rest scents. And yes, this ingredient is not mentioned in the original description. The texture certainly is different, but it’s all about the flavour.

2 Likes

:-bd

2 Likes