19th century pipe

would there any dangers in smoking a 19th century pipe I have? Should I clean it?

I would doubt there would be any danger. As for cleaning it, if it were me, I would go to my local tobacconist and, ask if he has a guy to clean it as I am not a pro and, would not want to break a relic.

Walker Briar Works have a great reputation for cleaning pipes, if you are in the US. As long as there are no major cracks or evidence of burnout it should be fine to smoke. I would suggest a good deep cleaning. All kinds of gunk can build up in a well used or neglected pipe. Google pipe cleaning for 1000’s of pages of advice on doing it yourself.

If you clean the pipe alone, be careful not to remove all the “charcoal wall” inside the bowl, if you don’t feel confidence to do the work go to a tobacco shop… is very easy to clean the pipe just need specific tools for the pipe line and bowl…

hey the zombie apacolypse has to start somewhere sometimes right?

@bob = PR executive for the Umbrella Corperation :))

I wish. They get travel expenses.

I have a couple 19th century Clay pipe miscasts from Virginia and they smoke fine ironically.

Yeah, I have several antique clays that are either Thames foreshore finds or from the late 18th century and they are all good pipes.