Sir Walter Scott's Thrice Brewed Snuff

@MisterPaul‌ Excellent review and commentary. I am green with envy. Or it could be the dozen or so Café Mojitos I indulged in last evening on the veranda with a pot of HDT near at hand and a lovely old R&J Churchill at a slow smolder. At any rate, I’m green

If @Abraxas is right and this is the modern version of F&T’s Masulipatam it makes you wonder how they ever went out of business, if this is the type of quality snuff they were creating…

The old snuff house of Fribourg & Treyer at the sign of the Rasp & crown” has this to say about Masulipatam: Masulipatam, an oriental snuff of very .powerful and not very fascinating flavour. Both these were only used for flavouring large quantities of other snuffs, a quarter or half an ounce being sufficient to flavour a pound of snuff, according to the strength required.

Thrice Brewed is now avalible to buy from MrSnuff :slight_smile:

@MisterPaul‌ Thanks for the heads up ordered along with Lundy foot :slight_smile:

Just ordered mine too,just had to be done.

But not at SnuffStore! We need to have it at SnuffStore too @MrSnuff‌

Still not there. Will it ever be? Oh well. Reading the MisterPaul review it sounds quite different to what I was expecting from the MrSnuff description. Well I wasn’t expecting chocolate and it to be similar to CDF and Auld Alliance. What then is the point of brewing it thrice I have to wonder? I think I was hoping for a kind of coarse moist more rich and intense pure tobacco flavour. Maybe I’ll eventually get some and find out for myself.

Well, I’ve got three different SWS in my shopping basket now, this one, Auld Alliance, and Creme de Figue. I haven’t tried any of them yet and look forward to it.
But where’s the Perique snuff that Sir Johnny promised us???

@I_snuff_therefore___ Scent is a bit of a subjective thing! Dark, moist and rich it is. I’ve said medium grind though to be fair its on the coarser end of the spectrum. Other than a little arrack there are no other casings so I’m told; so the rest is just the tobacco scents in the profile. It’s a really good one, I think the best non-toast yet, highly recommended :wink:

Wow that was fast. The interweb is amazing at times! Thanks @MisterPaul‌ for clearing that up. I know Auld Alliance is also only tobacco but I get all sorts of fruit flavours from it. All theses plants and flavour chemicals therein must be linked? The flavours just need teasing out by say Thrice Brewing (3rd time lucky) for example!

Well, pipe tobaccos often have a spectrum of flavours like chocolate, hay, cherry and so on, even if they don’t have any casing. Completely different, of course, from aromatic tobacco. I always think of Viking Dark as having chocolate and coffee notes, and HDT as having nut, even though I know they are natural snuffs. Isn’t tobacco a wonderful plant?

1 Like

I wanted to try it, but before I could put in an order it was gone.

Retracting previous post, I see it on Mr. Snuff now.

I’m not so sure about this snuff now. Chocolate, vanilla, coconut… sounding like a childrens picnic more and more? I like the Havana Toast (with a little Paul Gotard Latakia added for piquancy) tobacco, tobacco, tobacco. Dry, easy to take and not to fine. A great everyday go to and my current favourite in that regard and also goes great with tobacco flavour vaping. Currently I think I’m more interested in Havana Toast being continued. Hopefully the upcoming? Perique will be another tobacco flavour snuff.

I like these poncy words. Great tobacco flavour. but I will order some poncy flavoured Thrice Brewed if it comes up on Snuffstore if there is any left by then. I’m sure it’s nice for the occasional treat. If it turns out to be better than my Uber Ammonia CDF (which turned out to be fantastic) then I will grovellingly eat my words. The Havana Toast sure went quick. I wonder why? Probably my great review. Yes that must have been it. Tongue firmly in cheek.

A friend of mine in Jakarta teaches wine classes. As she says, it’s just about finding the vocabulary for quite subtle tastes that we don’t have ready words for, so you borrow all those words like fruity, mushroom and so on. Words are just ways of categorizing things. You can say Havana Toast just smells like tobacco if you like, but so does Viking Dark and Toque Quit, and they’re all pretty different, so that doesn’t take you very far.

I did say Great tobacco flavour, should have been flavours but definitely not “just smells like tobacco”, though that could apply to the other snuffs you mentioned but I agree it’s difficult to explain and Thrice Brewed and Havana Toast are almost opposite ends of the spectrum but still sharing premiumicity. My point I suppose is that I see Havana Toast as a long awaited breakthrough and I would like to see more of this type of snuff. Certainly we have already many great desert snuffs. Luckily SnuffStore now has Thrice Brewed and I’ve just ordered a few tins. Obviously I will understand better once I’ve had a chance to try it. I still wonder why the Havana Toast sold out so quickly and a lot of people on here didn’t seem to get any. Who bought it all? It was definitely snapped up. The word spread and whoosh it’s gone??? but then didn’t this happen with most of the other SWS as well although I’m not sure if it happened just as quickly?

According to Johnny, sourcing the Havana leaf has limited production.

I believe that Havana Toast was something Johnny came up with due to the availability of a limited quantity of a particular type of Havana leaf, hence the small size of batch, and why it ran out so quickly (that and it being a bit of new evolution to the toast style, and in very high demand). Funnily enough the same thing happened with Crème du Figue #1 a few years back; it sold quickly and went out of stock, then took a while to come back in as [I believe] a particular leaf in the mixture was difficult to source. I guess as a manufacturer you never really know which snuffs are going to be top sellers, and if leaf feedstock of the right quality will be available at the right time/price do you? I’m looking forwards to the release of the new snuffs that Johnny has in development a lot. Perique one sounds very interesting as there are relatively few snuffs that utilise that leaf strain.

Yes certainly looking forward to whatever Johnny comes up with. The collection already is quite something and I haven’t even tried this latest one yet. Just the method of processing sounds so great. The effort that goes into it not to mention the quality and quantity of tobacco. Seems like I’m lacking on wine expertise which is understandable as I don’t drink wine or listen to people waffling on about it. Most of it’s just vinegar. If something has a chocolate, vanilla, coconut “aroma”, then that could be like it’s chocolate, vanilla and cocount flavour. We’ll agree to see it differently I think. The question really is, is it a great chocolate, vanilla and coconut aroma tobacco? and apparently it is. Looking forward to it, a bit apprehensively.

Recently purchased this Thrice Brewed on a snuff website and suspect it had already dried out in storage. The description and reviews call it moist, and the reviews call or show it being dark. What I got was medium color and moisture. I can tell the tobacco base is superb, but the scent is on the faint side.

1 Like