Why do you non-scandinavians like snus so much?

Well dip is tiny and can be made discreet too, no? Makla is strong on nic, discreet etc too.

Because its awesome and relatively safe unlike dip(chew) which is so loaded with sugar you might as well put a hard candy next to your gums all day, talk about tooth decay!

redman silver blend anyone?

It still has sugar in it, snus doesn’t. Snus tastes, to me, much nicer, was the only thing that got me off cigarettes, and again, I prefer the taste of it. No spitting too, that’s a big thing for me.

wait wait, silver got sugar in it?

@Rogue i think fruit glucose

Because I hate spitting and I don’t have to do it with snus.

Like some others have mentioned, Snus to me is a lot safer for your health and you don’t have to spit. In my experience it is much easier on the gums if used everyday when compared to dip or chew and the flavor is much cleaner, probably because it’s got basically no additives when compared to dip and chew.

@md363 yeah, thats true, we take snus very seriously, and the amount of TSNA is that of your average meal that you buy in your average store. What do you mean with chew being hard on the gums though? A few years ago, when redman was available here, Id have a wad in for hours and hours without really getting any sort of discomfort, if I have my snus in for as long as I had the redman in, the tissue becomes irritated and dry, not unlike the feeling of eating too much salt chips.

The initial attraction for me was the not spitting factor, then I found a lot of enjoyment in the many flavors. DIp and Chew have two flavors, sweet and not so sweet. Snus and snuff got me off cigs. I’ll stick with it for now.

tasty, no spit, cheap, safer than other oral tobacco.

I do like the taste of natural dips but chew is way too sweet for me. I also don’t mind spitting but it’s something that shouldn’t be done in polite company. Snus allows me to get my nicotine “under the radar” which is a big plus in these days of tobacco hysteria.

@Rogue I was mainly speaking of dip rather than chew when I mentioned the harshness on the gums, it’s true that you can leave a chaw in for a long time and have little to no discomfort.

I bet it’s partly cultural. Here in the states chew in particular is very much a rural, working class habit. I still love chew of course but in big cities I’d never know anybody who used it. Even here in the South chew is much less common than dip.

When I was a kid (US) in the late 70’s, early 80’s there were three dips available. Copenhagen Snuff, couldn’t get past the smell so never tried it, Skoal Wintergreen, God no, and Happy Days Raspberry, horrible fake flavor. Then Skoal put out Bandits. I actually liked them despite the nasty Wintergreen flavor. Overall I found all of this stuff smoewhat off putting. Fast forward to now and I really like the Copenhagens and several of the ‘new’ flavors of Skoal. I put Snus above dip though mostly because it seems to have a lot less additives and the flavors taste more natural.

I really wonder the no spitting factor. Lately I’ve tried snus, as one of my friend uses it to quit smoking (cannot remember the brand, if it even was the same every time), but I find it to generate enough juice to spit away. Enough to be uncomfortable to swallow. Is this somehow a matter of technique? Or a matter of brand choice? Or is it just a thing to get used to?

Snus is just so convenient and discreet…anytime, any place, anywhere…

@SkeG‌ you and me both. I dont like swallowin snus juice.

@skeg i sometimes get a lot of juice recently, but then it starts to increase as i play with it. thats why i started using white portions, i get less.

I really wonder the no spitting factor. Lately I’ve tried snus, as one of my friend uses it to quit smoking (cannot remember the brand, if it even was the same every time), but I find it to generate enough juice to spit away. Enough to be uncomfortable to swallow. Is this somehow a matter of technique? Or a matter of brand choice? Or is it just a thing to get used to?

I don’t have much experience with Snus as I’ve only tried one brand & type as of yet. (soon to be remedied) :slight_smile: I only know what I’ve read so please chime in if this is not correct. My understanding is there are different ways to manufacture Snus and so some types are more runny than others causing the desire to spit or swallow. I also noticed on the General brand Snus website they give the moisture content for each type and flavor of Snus. White portions of Snus are not sprayed with tobacco “juice” so it has far less moisture content and does not run or runs less. The one Snus I tried was a White portion and it produced very little, if any saliva for me. Regular (black colored) portions of Snus are sprayed with tobacco juice so there’s more moisture in it to begin with.

It also depends on where Snus is placed. The upper part of the mouth has less saliva glands compared to the lower part of the mouth that has more saliva glands. Snus is supposed to be placed in the upper part of the mouth for this reason.

I apologize if I’m being redundant and you already knew this. But it’s so much fun to be able to answer a question for a change I thought I’d take a chance. Plus I’m a big fan of Snus. :slight_smile: