Washing Handkerchiefs?

@Xander close up it looks like a cow skull ,Who knew you could create art with your nose? =))

YES must have the hankies, I have maybe 20. I always dust my nose off after indulging in a pinch. As with people already posted above I learned the dusting the hard way, people giving me strange looks, then seeing one has a brown tash. When I am out for dinner or having a drink with friends the dark hankerchief is ESSENTIAL, so one does not need to explain why the white tissue is now brown, and see people recoiled in horror. However when I can be discreet I just use disposable tissues and then bin them, having said that I could probably make one of my large snuff one’s last the whole day, and indeed have done…When I was courting my now wife I always used coloured hankies to blow my nose, for obvious reasons…Wilson’s used to sell them by the box but I don’t know who stocks them…

@Hoopei I seen some bernard handkerchiefs on mr. snuff

I love those Bernard hankies, they’re nice and big and have pretty patterns.

Speaking of Bernard hankies, I see that the blue Bernard hankie has a cool B symbol on it in the middle. Does anyone know if the black hankie has the same symbol on it?

I don’t see one with a “b” but I see one with a Bavarian crest and in the Bavarian blue & white (weissblau) pattern. I have that one, and I always make sure to take it to Oktoberfest!

I don’t see one with a “b” but I see one with a Bavarian crest and in the Bavarian blue & white (weissblau) pattern. I have that one, and I always make sure to take it to Oktoberfest!

Oh yeah sorry, I didn’t mean B, I meant the fancy crest. Do you know if the black Bernard handkerchief has the same pattern? (The Mr. Snuff picture only shows the corner which shows a black-and-white checker like the blue-and-white checker on the blue, but it doesn’t show the middle of the hankie.)

Yeah, I have that one too. Its actually dark blue not black. Its got the Bavarian checker pattern but not the crest.

I just got the 3 dozen bandannas I ordered online, a dozen each in brown, dark red, and navy. Ran me about $50 shipped. I haven’t used them enough to pass judgment, but I wash them by themselves, with the washer set to “Soak” and “Extra Rinse”, and that seems to work. The bandannas I got are so thin as to be semitransparent, but they air dry in an hour or two after I hang them on every knob in my apartment. :slight_smile: Also, I am not frugal in using the bandannas, switching to new ones frequently. A few years back I bought 25 lbs of white cotton rags online, and use them for everything except toilet paper and bath towels, washing a load of them a week. The rags were cheap enough to throw out occasionally, and now any old or ripped clothes get turned into more rags. Looking to switch to bandannas only for my nose now, as the snuff really stains those rags.

I also use bandannas and large spotted handkerchiefs. I have about two dozen of them, and the used ones go in a bag until I’m starting to run out, then into the washing machine by themselves. Cotton cycle at 60 degrees Centigrade works fine - just remember to unfold them before you put them in the machine.

I don’t see the need to wash hankierchifs separately from the rest of my wash. I get far more disgusting stuff on my clothes in an average day’s scrabble around town. I’d probably feel different if it was someone else’s snot, but it’s not, it’s mine.

1 Like

Several years ago I was in one of those big craft stores with my wife (Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, JoAnn’s, etc) and they sold bandanas in every color of the rainbow. I grabbed all of the brown ones they had. Perfect. They are starting to get a little worn and thin now, so I’m on the hunt again. Seeing what color the water immediately turned when I washed them convinced me to always hand wash them and hang them up to dry.

@Java I bought my bandannas/handkerchiefs here ( http://www.wholesaleforeveryone.com/category/bandanas-paisley-22-dozen.html ). I think 3 dozen of the 22" square ones ran me ~$50 shipped after a coupon code I found with Google. May not be much cheaper than some retail stores, but it worked and was worth avoiding another errand. Handkerchiefs are decent but not great quality, with some strings starting to come loose after only 1 or 2 washings despite stitched edges, and are so thin as to be slightly transparent, but I suspect that most handkerchiefs/bandannas sold in the world come out of only a only or two factories in China anyway… Next time I will probably try to order some smaller handkerchiefs. The 22" square ones are a bit big for pocket use when balled up.

Hello. This is a subject near and dear to me, as you will soon see. While I have only recently taken to nasal snuff, I have since boyhood carried two handkerchiefs at all times. It was a trait instilled in my by my Grampa - and one with reason. In my back pocket I carry what most would call a bandanna, usually in blue or some other dark color. This is the wipe your nose, buff your shoe, wipe the sweat from your brow, make a sling for a sprained arm bandanna, and it sees the most use. I have at this point likely 4 or 5 dozen, and I collect the soiled one each day in a small basket, which when once filled they are removed to the sink and soaked in hot water with suds from my shaving soap , then wrung out and laundered with my denims. In my left pocket however I carry a linen or cotton handkerchief, which I am particular in the pressing of, in case I need one to offer someone else. The fairer sex , by the way, are suckers for that old school charm even in this most modern of ages, when a gentleman’s linen is offered when upset or a drink is spilled upon them. ( And gentlemen, once proffered, never ask for it’s return. You just might find it returned later , in a very appreciative manner ). These I also collect, and since they are by their nature not soiled just rumpled I toss them in with the wife’s dedicates, to be pressed and cycled through again. The HP

Brown hankies are hard to find in the UK - so a dozen cheap white ones from eBay and a tube of brown fabric dye solves that one. For washing, a pre-soak in the sink with detergent to remove the slime and vegetable matter then in the machine with the regular laundry works for me.

Brown hankies are hard to find in the UK - so a dozen cheap white ones from eBay and a tube of brown fabric dye solves that one. For washing, a pre-soak in the sink with detergent to remove the slime and vegetable matter then in the machine with the regular laundry works for me.

In my part of the US we have a chain of stores called Dollar General - I have found the have a decent amount of dark bandannas ( blue, black, dark green, camo, etc etc ) for an average price of $1 each …

For my two “handkerchiefs” I just took an old dark green cotton t-shirt and cut 2 pieces from it. Both pieces are the same size as the 1 white hankie I have. I didn’t want to use the white one. As for washing them, I only use them to dust off my nose after snuffing and rarely blow my nose into them. I use tissue or paper towels to blow into so when I wash my green t-shirt hankies they’re never really that bad so I just throw them in the washer. I would say even the dirtiest hankie should be fine to just throw in the washer because recently I got bicycle chain grease all over a pair of athletic shorts of mine and I threw those in with a load of laundry that had white shirts and everything was fine. If black grease doesn’t spread onto other clothes or mess anything up I would say a snuff/mucus covered hankie would be fine.

Oh a handerchief is utmost important if you are an all day snuffer. Its more of a necessity than an accessory. I usually use soft cotton handkerchiefs (as large as are available) which are dark in color. They can be washed in hot (yes, hot, not warm) water with a mild detergent and become softer on the use with each wash. Ideal for anyone who uses snuff.

I have white handkerchiefs.  My average is 5 a day.  I sometimes wonder if I’m doing something wrong, but I am at it pretty much all day

I didn’t know about these techniques for washing.  Once I’ve accumulated a lot of these things, I’ll have to try some of them

Cheers :slight_smile:

Is any handkerchief appropriate to use for snuff, or are there snuff specific handkerchiefs? I got some handkerchiefs from Amazon.