Snuff Rituals & Habits

Getting in the car pinching D.white then driving home from work.done this now for quite a while now.

When I pinch from a tin I always blow on my fingers that hold the pinch to rid excess fine dust that might smear the ring of my nostril. It also makes the sniff a bit easier as there will be a bit less of that super fine dust on the surface of the pinch. I work a bit back and forth left and right til the pinch is done.

I love taking a pinch every time i think of it or any time my nose tells me it’s necessary. before driving, after arriving. before a job, on the job, after a job is complete. before bed, after awaking. before meals, after meals. lol etc etc etc…is compulsion a habit???

1 Like

Firstly, I must always have my daily snuff in a box, never taken directly from the tin. I always refill my snuff box in the morning, any left overs from the day before are thrown away. After trying all sorts of boxes I have found the smaller the better, if the fingers fit for the pinch then the box is big enough. I sniff and then simply dust the fingers together to get arid of any excess. For some reason the tin is always held in the left hand and I tap the box a number of times before opening. I am also considering purchasing a large wig and a consort of king Charles Spaniels to go around with during the day. I have been told however that this privilege only happens to snuffers in the super league. You also need a stately home and ten thousand gold pieces to qualify for consideration into the club…

2 Likes

O&G to wake me up, every single day without fail. Snuff when I’m reading a (e)book. Snuff is the best tobacco product for focussing the mind (unless you have a big N tolerance and then that benefit is lost which is why I keep my tolerance low).

Snuff is the best tobacco product for focussing the mind (unless you have a big N tolerance and then that benefit is lost which is why I keep my tolerance low).

@SnuffySnuff There was a great talk given at last year’s Chicago pipe show (by an addiction counselor, of all people), titled something to the effect of, “NIcotine: Evil killer or modern wonder drug?”. The key takeaways from it were that nicotine, by itself, is addictive but not carcinogenic, and really helps with a lot of medical issues, like ADD, ADHD, and so on. Unfortunately, because of the power of the anti-tobacco lobby, which insists that nothing good can come from nicotine, and because nicotine can’t be patented (and thus profited from, as Big Pharma would prefer us to use drugs it can make money on), its benefits are not well known. Have no fear, though, as Big Pharma is working on producing compounds derived from nicotine (but different enough from it that Big Pharma can patent them, and thus charge large amounts of money for) to solve all your problems. Apparently one of the biggest issues, IIRC, is that a lot of these nicotine-derived drugs have heavy nausea as a side effect.

1 Like

@BarkingLeopard yeah I’m aware of the benefits of nicotine. if you Google ‘nicotine is good for you’ you’ll find lots of good snuff. Tobacco, particularly Rustica, helps me a great deal during the winter when I get Winter Depression (aka SAD). The thing to note with pharma NRTs and ecigs is that they only contain nicotine, but to get the full benefits of tobacco you also need the alkaloids which are processed out by pharma. You can get WTA ecig liquid (whole tobacco alkaloids) but they get very poor reviews. Without the alkaloids, there is no ‘buzz’.

Right now I don’t have much of a ritual. For the longest time I would just open up a snuff tin and drop a pinch in my anatomical snuff box just to satisfy a craving. A few months ago I finally invested in a snuff spoon which has added a little bit more class to my snuff routine. (I also bought a Posh snuff bullet, but have found it thoroughly useless and tedious to use). But I’m looking into making my snuff usage into something with a bit more class and ritual, I’m thinking of finally investing in a few snuffboxes, some more spoons, maybe even a handkerchief. The sort of things I could pull out while sitting at a bar and look like I’m sniffing classy snuff from a fancy box, and not snorting cocaine.

I think that the snuff boxes and handkerchiefs are a good idea, but using a spoon at a bar might raise a few eyebrows amongst those not familiar with snuff…

My Ritual/Habit is more for stored properly the tins in the perfect conditions, unlike with the use

Well, I guess mine is more superstitious – when I arrive home from work, I MUST fire up my St. Michael votive candle BEFORE I take my first “arrival home” snuff— my Grandmother was a Catholic (a Catholic from Scotland of all places :slight_smile: ) and when I was born, she opted to give my Mum a St. Michael medal instead of the usual St. Christopher that children are given— SO, St. Mike has always been good to me and I make sure to give him his due DAILY— so, he comes before even snuff, children or EVEN MRS. Desaix her own self!!! when I get home :slight_smile: EDIT: Dammit, I guess I should add that any pre-warms I do are done with St Mike as well :wink: That was the whole point of my post and I didn’t even include it!

1 Like

I guess my ritual is filling my bullets in the morning while drinking my coffee and smoking my morning pipe. I don’t prefer bullets, but where I work I must be very discrete, and they get the job done.

my ritual is either take a pinch and divide it between both nostrils and and whipe even when i dont have to or i take a single pinch of tobacco and wipe my nose even when i dont feel like there is any snuff on my nose use my handkerchief to dust off my my shirt and fingers the eithr wait till i need to take another pinch or untill ive forgotten i havent had one in a while and repeat gonna start using paper towel to blow my nose in or in the sink when i feel too stuffed up

I always carry three snuffs, two in plastic Mr Snuff boxes and one Bernard’s tap box. The yellow box always rotates between whatever I feel like filling it with on the day but the red box always has Wilson’s Royal George in it and is always kept in my right pocket because George is my right hand man! As for actually taking the snuff, Bernard’s is box car, one shared between each nostril always right side first. Everything else is one pinch per side, right side first. I used to share the pinch between each side but I have a developing case of SAS (Snuff Acquisition Syndrome) and I need to put a big dent in my current collection before I order anymore. I already have my next few orders planned, including 10g tins of every Toque I’m yet to try (about 20 tins including the Toque USA) Edit: Thought of something else I always do. If I’m sitting down, I always take my snuff boxes out of my pockets and at work they get left on my desk from when I arrive to when I go home. This really helps keep the snuff fresher throughout the day, I think because it’s away from my bodyheat and also because it stops the snuff getting shaken about when I’m walking around (I only ever put a day’s worth in a box at a time so there’s plenty of space in the for it to move about). It’s a noticeable difference

2 Likes

@Bizzle HAHA Snuff Acquisition Syndrome :smiley: When I wake up in the morning I blow blow blow my nose. 5-10 tissues with a few blows on each, until there’s no snuff. Then usually a menthol snuff, get in the shower and repeat the blow. Getting out I then load up the nose usually with a non-menthol and leave it there. When I take a moist snuff like Bernard first I gently back of hand. Then gently plug the bottom of that nostril with that side’s thumb and breath in the opposite nostril. Then plug the other side and forcefully breath in the nostril with the snuff to get it up there. The first step makes sure it’s attached to the nose and doesn’t fly in my throat when I pull the snuff back :slight_smile: Oh a newer ritual, thank goodness I started it has made those WoS/F&T tins infinitely less frustrating, is to hold the tin level and drop it flat a couple times on a hard surface. It settles the snuff down so it doesn’t spill on my pants or car etc when opening. Pinching and Driving!

1 Like

@ar47 It’s a real medical condition man, I might see if I can get disability for it :)) I do that with the Wilson’s tins too, even though I only open it to fill my snuff box. It’s the only way to make them bearable. Off topic, my phone autocorrected ‘bearable’ to ‘bearberries’. What in the world are bearberries?! GOOGLE! GET OVER HERE Edit: Google says they’re a bear’s favourite fruit. This is amazing! :)) Snuffhouse: come for the snuff, stay for the fruit based revelations

3 Likes

Box is kept in left front pocket, handkerchief in back right pocket. When I want a pinch, I remove the box with my left hand and the handkerchief with the right hand, holding the box with the index finger and thumb of my left hand while supporting it with the middle finger from the bottom and holding the handkerchief with the ring and little fingers of my right hand pressing it against the palm. At least three sharp taps on the lid of the box with my right index and middle fingertips, then use the left thumb to open the box while fudging a hinge by pressing the palm and index finger against the side of the lid. Take pinch, sniff, and close box with left hand while dusting nose with handkerchief in right hand. Enjoy scent and nicotine while replacing items in respective pockets and going about business as usual.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tin-dropping trick @ar47! I’ve tried tapping them on my palm or with my fingers from the top but the snuff would always be shifted to one side and still spill anyway.

Re: the first comments from 2008: I have OCD so I know all about rituals. I must have hundreds that I do regarding anything possible. But for snuff, what I usually do is (starting now) drop the tin if it’s one of those over-filled (not complaining) tins, then grab my stainless steel spoon and do one heaping spoon per nostril, left side first, then a smaller spoon again for both, then sit back and let my brain melt for a few seconds.

I wish I had ordered the titanium spoon but one can always have a second, no? 

Another thing I do is I put a neodymium magnet on the underside of the lid of a tin that I use daily (currently on my Viking Brown but current go-to is F&T HDT) so when I’m done I can just drop the spoon onto the tin and it stays put. When I go to snuff I put the lid under the tin, and while not totally practical, I can place the spoon in the snuff and let it just rest there almost like magic. ;p Plus the lid is attached at that point and that’s nice, too.

I have a few snuff boxes but none seem too useful when I’m out doing stuff so I’ll have to find a good one. From what I’ve read here, MrSnuff has some good ones. Anyone recommend any nice boxes?

3 Likes

I put two pinches on the back of my hand with a spoon or tap box, then snuff both nostrils at the same time. Quick and easy!

1 Like

I tend to take several small pinches rather than just one or two big ones. My fave snuffs are the fine ones and some days i can’t help but sniff 'em too hard, which is painful so, recently I’ve been taking out my 

Irish 22 or Navy Plain, and dropping a pinch into a boxcar, which works quite well.  My main habit at the moment tho is to forget i even take snuff until later in the day. I went from taking hand fulls fiendishly to keep the nicotine withdrawals away, but now that i’ve been without a cigarette for some ten months that has faded away; snuff is more of a hobby now rather than a need, and i take such small amounts i practically don’t need it anymore. I won’t quit outright tho because i fucking love snuff.

4 Likes