Pipe bite

For some reason the squadron leader is biting me through a filter. never had this before… and i often rushedly packed balkans in the past without drying much. im not getting any gurgling like i used to when i did that, so im a little concerned because this tobacco is the most delicious i have tried. any tips/will it stop eventually? i like this SL so much im actually thinking its worth the bite.

Maybe the filter is causing you to draw to hard/fast, due to the filter altering the “normal” feel of the pipe. Haven’t used a filter in years so it’s just a wild guess.

What kind of filter are you using? I only use wood filters (Brigham’s and Savinelli) and they don’t really filter the smoke they just absorb any excess moisture which can drastically reduce tongue bite so I’d recommend trying a 6 or 9mm(which ever your pipe is) Sav. balsa wood filter (Brigham’s filters only work on Brigham’s pipes)

its a 9mm blitz system. it still gave me a bitey sensation without the filter. ive found it smokes better with the filter in. ill try the sav balsa.

I agree with Bigmick ,Unless your inhaling the smoke every draw there is no need for a filter. Try cleaning the stem with mouthwash or other alcohol

There are several things that can cause tongue bite. The first, and most common culprit, is smoking too fast. This is a matter of technique and experience, and usually sorts itself out over time as the new pipe smoker learns how to keep the bowl lit without constant puffing. One bit of advice that many have found helpful is to periodically breath out through the stem in order to keep the pipe lit between draws. Tongue bite can also be caused by steam. If your tobacco is overly moist, it can bite. If you think this might be the problem, try drying the tobacco out a bit before smoking. Finally, some people just seem to have a bad chemical reaction to certain tobaccos. Personally, I am unable to smoke McClelland virginias or most MacBaren blends without a bit of bite, no matter how slowly I smoke or how careful I am. In order to determine whether this might be the problem, you should try other blends by SG to see if they provoke a similar reaction.

this pipe seems to need the filter, my last one didnt. i think with the way its been designed it doesnt quite perform. i wonder if i can get anything that will just narrow the 9mm space then, i think that affects the smoke. this filter has a really easy draw. @tybalt- i do the breathing out thing haha. always have, its a habit from cigars that i blow after lighting so i burns off anything i lit it with etc without pulling it throughout the stick. i then discovered it helps keep the pipe lit. thanks for the info.

@Firestarter0 yeah on all above mentioned/info… I can attest to the fact that Squadron Leader is SO DAMN GOOD that it’s easy to be smoking a BIT too fast sometimes :slight_smile:

A lot of the 9mm filter pipes that I have seen for sale here in the states come with an adapter that can be put in place of the filter than converts it to a normal draw. I can’t recall seeing them offered for sale separately, but you might ask your local tobacconist if he has them.

I would like to add to tybalts post that another culprit of tongue bite is sugars. Sugars burn hot so blends with a high sugar content (like aros or straight VA) can give you wicked tongue bite if your not careful

I just wonder if it actually burning of the tongue from heat or the spiciness of the tobacco

its fine the next day though theres an off taste.

Lets not forget that some people and tobaccos simply do not mix. I get tongue bite from Sir Walter Raleigh of all things. I am not sure why this is, but some tobaccos just are not meant for certain people no matter how delicious or how you prepare the smoke.

A lot of the 9mm filter pipes that I have seen for sale here in the states come with an adapter that can be put in place of the filter than converts it to a normal draw. I can’t recall seeing them offered for sale separately, but you might ask your local tobacconist if he has them.

They do sell them separately, you can get them here http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product\_id=114618

that doesnt look long enough. and i dont understand why it has a lip. perhaps i could make my own with cardboard roach or something. lots rolled together.

Try it in a different pipe? I’ve never had SL bite (or any of the McB flakes I like).Velvet, on the other hand kills me–taste isn’t bad but it sets my tongue on fire.

For me, many of the aromatics are culprits, particularly an aromatic Virginia mixture.