Silver Dollar Snuff

I actually like the Silver Dollar tins.

As much as I dislike them, the tap box would be a vast improvement over the current SD container. The Poschl type boxes might be a good choice just because of the ease of use for the person who may be new to snuff.

I tend to agree and you may just see this in the future! I like that they are airtight, but I dislike that I can’t use a spoon with them. Well, I guess I could tap it into my spoon. Does anyone else use a tap box to tap snuff into a spoon and then take it that way?

It seems that some people were accidentally opening the screw top tins upside down and dumping a ton of snuff, lol.

@rickcharles606 My boss did that with one of my can’t of Toque USA Spanish Brandy. I could have killed him. I’m glad to hear that bigger and better containers are coming out. SD Original, Spearmint, and Cherry are some of my absolute favorites. New tins will help the staleness that an old tin can get with the current design. Joy!

Well then I can’t wait for you to try the upcoming Medicated and Scotch!!

I actually like the Silver Dollar tins.

That’s awesome…can you tell me what you like about them most?

Rick, Glad to hear someone is taking care of the US market. Bout time. Looking forward to seeing SD in local shops. Been awful dry around here since the PACT nonsense. Like the F&T tins the best. Seal well and easy to open. Of course I usually transfer to glass jars so not a big deal. Use the MrSnuff boxes for daily snuffing.

The only shop near me that carries silver dollar is quite pricey. It breaks down into 1 dollar a gram. To sample all five 5gram spinner tins(they only carried 5 flavors) cost me 25 bucks. It doesn’t bother me until I think about it. But, I know every tin I bought, helped fund this push into the states. Oh, and original and apricot were their best sellers. Cherry and raspberry are their worst.

@rickcharles606 good to see you here mate. Like @basement_shaman said, I think a SD or Toque dip, chew or snus would work for you lot in the US, I would like it here in the Uk (hint hint) :wink:

@rickcharles606 Any thoughts on how the bigger tin might affect retail price? I just bought a tin of SD Cherry about 10 minutes ago and got stung $4.49 for it, while 10g of Toque USA is only about $5. It would be great if it came in around the same price as the Toque USA products. Just me dreaming.

Rick, Glad to hear someone is taking care of the US market. Bout time. Looking forward to seeing SD in local shops. Been awful dry around here since the PACT nonsense. Like the F&T tins the best. Seal well and easy to open. Of course I usually transfer to glass jars so not a big deal. Use the MrSnuff boxes for daily snuffing.

Our sales team is constantly working to expand the distribution of Silver Dollar, but the best way is for you guys/gals to get me the name and number of a local tobacconist and I’ll have the salespeople contact them. So, shoot me an email with some info and I’ll get to work on it for you.

The only shop near me that carries silver dollar is quite pricey. It breaks down into 1 dollar a gram. To sample all five 5gram spinner tins(they only carried 5 flavors) cost me 25 bucks. It doesn’t bother me until I think about it. But, I know every tin I bought, helped fund this push into the states. Oh, and original and apricot were their best sellers. Cherry and raspberry are their worst.

I’ll tell you what happens here, when a tobacconist knows he’s the “only game in town” carrying snuff, he can hit the consumer with higher margins. The best way to combat that is to get another local store to carry the product. It forces competition and helps drive prices into an equilibrium at the very least. I’m considering doing a “Sampler Pack” of all the Silver Dollar flavors, do you think that would be something consumers like you would be interested in?

@rickcharles606 good to see you here mate. Like @basement_shaman said, I think a SD or Toque dip, chew or snus would work for you lot in the US, I would like it here in the Uk (hint hint) :wink:

SKELLY!!, what’s shakin’ mate? Good to see you as well. All your ideas are ones that have been looked at already, and some might just come to fruition :slight_smile: Have to wait and see.

@rickcharles606 Any thoughts on how the bigger tin might affect retail price? I just bought a tin of SD Cherry about 10 minutes ago and got stung $4.49 for it, while 10g of Toque USA is only about $5. It would be great if it came in around the same price as the Toque USA products. Just me dreaming.

Great question. Typically, more product=more price. That being said, hopefully the price per gram would decrease a little and would act as incentive to the consumer to buy more product. That’s how I see it, anyways. The issue we get into is cost factors, and when you factor in a new larger tin, that increases my/our bottom line as well, it increases your retail price too. One factor that the consumer has to deal with is the retailer’s margins, and let me tell you…they vary. As I said before, the best way to control high margins at retail is competition. Thanks for the insight and questions…I love hearing them. Keep 'em coming, and remember to email or PM me your local tobacconist’s info and I’ll have the sales team work on getting Silver Dollar and our Swedish snus brands in there.

No true tobacconists within 200 km of me. Bad thing I get from reading reviews is it seems most of the SD line contains menthol. This would be a deal breaker for me. The reason I gave up snuff years ago as only Poschl or other “medicated” snuffs were available. Could not tolerate it.

I have to admit after getting my nose into some fresh SD snuffs, I have changed my opinion. They are really good. Although I hate the $1 per gram pricing, especially for the dried out tins my local B&M carries. I do have to say I snuffed a sample of the new SDs when Rick wasn’t paying attention. You guys will be pleased. I’d like to have both in bulk. They won’t displace my Tom Buck from #1 spot, but both made my top 10 rather easily.

I have to admit after getting my nose into some fresh SD snuffs, I have changed my opinion. They are really good. Although I hate the $1 per gram pricing, especially for the dried out tins my local B&M carries. I do have to say I snuffed a sample of the new SDs when Rick wasn’t paying attention. You guys will be pleased. I’d like to have both in bulk. They won’t displace my Tom Buck from #1 spot, but both made my top 10 rather easily.

Ha, it was good to see you at the show, Mick. I like Tom Buck too, it’s definitely in my top 10…but I have to say the new SD Scotch is quickly earning it’s place on top of that list :slight_smile: The pricing issue that you’re talking about, goes directly back to lack of competition. That retailer is charging what he wants (what the market will bear)because he’s the only guy selling it in that particular area. Let’s get someone close to him to pick up SD and we’ll see pricing normalize.

A lack of competition will definitely drive the prices. I totally understand that. But at the same time, because 5g tins are the only option, repeat buyers are forced to pay the high price per gram. There should be an option of a 20g or 50g for repeat buyers, along with the samplers. Tobacco shops are very far and few around. Has there been, or plans to get into any major general store chains? Or Gas station chains? A little setup right next to the dip and chew, I believe, would move product simply out of one’s curiosity.

A lack of competition will definitely drive the prices. I totally understand that. But at the same time, because 5g tins are the only option, repeat buyers are forced to pay the high price per gram. There should be an option of a 20g or 50g for repeat buyers, along with the samplers. Tobacco shops are very far and few around. Has there been, or plans to get into any major general store chains? Or Gas station chains? A little setup right next to the dip and chew, I believe, would move product simply out of one’s curiosity.

I certainly want to offer larger portions of Silver Dollar, and plan to do so, but my issue is that I need to get enough distribution volume in the current packaging to justify expanding the offerings. That being said, watch for some changes in spring :slight_smile: Yes, the goal is always to generate enough volume and demand to expand into the c-store arena, but again, the demand HAS to be there first. Our company sells to 20k tobacco outlets and tobacconist and also to every major distributor in the US, so trust me, once the demand is there…I’ll make the move to c-stores.

The pricing issue that you’re talking about, goes directly back to lack of competition. That retailer is charging what he wants (what the market will bear)because he’s the only guy selling it in that particular area. Let’s get someone close to him to pick up SD and we’ll see pricing normalize.

My issue is I can’t get anyone else willing to carry it. I had one source for Toque USA , it’s cheaper here than SD, still double what I pay to have it shipped from Toque. I know you have no control over the pricing issue, so don’t take it personal. :wink: For the two new SDs, in 10 gram or bigger tins, I’ll pay what they ask. And consider it worth it.

shoot me an email (or call and we can catch up) and remind me who was carrying Toque…wasn’t it Tinderbox? I can’t remember, lol. Sometimes it does get frustrating when I see a retailer padding his margin on a product like snuff, because as we all know, it’s historically not a product that warrants and “keystone” type margin. Mick, what was the name of that pipe store we went to that day? Doesn’t he carry snuff too?

Hey Rick, I just sent you a message. I haven’t had any SD before, but I’m interested in trying it. Hopefully my B&M will order a bunch! Can’t wait to try the Scotch… :smiley:

Ah man, I was excited until I saw they were menthol. I like it but my nose rejects it. Is there any SD flavors that have no menthol in them?

Oh NM I see not all are just the ones I would want to try bummer… Wish my nose would accept medicated :frowning:

Yes, that was the problem here in the US. Market was dominated by Poschl and they were mostly menthol / medicated. Pretty well put me off snuff. My first snuff was Dean Swift when they offered free samples that I read about in the Detroit Free Press. Bob Talberts column. Sure they must have been WoS snuffs but some nice ones. Pretty much the same line as they have now. To quote Professor Phillips Griffiths: Of medicated snuffs the most popular is menthol. I do not know if they have any medical value. All the German snuffs I have tried are mentholated (but see Pöschl.) I regard such adulteration as a breach of of the seventh commandment and an abomination in the face of the Lord, but à chacun son gout.

I’d be willing to try a non-menth version of SD if Rick manages to get them in my local tobacco store. I sent him a email with the info and he’s right on top of it. I hope it works W&E Scotch is all they have around here it would be awesome to see another brand.

@rickcharles606 I was in contact with you some months ago and you helped me get the info for my local Tinderbox store and they did order a box of Silver Dollar Spearmint for me. It is great! I have had Wilsons of Sharrow, McChrystal’s, Poschl and various american scotches and I really love the Silver Dollar’s texture compared to the other brands. The scent is very pleasing as well. I would love it if you would contact my local Tinderbox to see if they would carry some in the store without me requesting special orders of entire boxes. I think the medicated and scotch and maybe also the spearmint and coffee flavors would be good for them to carry. Here’s the info: Tinder Box Cigars at South Park 4400 Sharon Rd, Charlotte NC 28211 (704) 366 - 5164 Thanks for all you do for the US snuff market.